A trip to the dentist

science

(Jennifer M Worth) #1

Yesterday was 6 months keto for me and today at the dentist my gum numbers were better🥳 i distinctly remember a couple of 4’s last time, and only 1-3’s today. This WOE is beneficial for so many reasons!!!

(Bob M) #2

It should only get better. Now, I don’t use fluoridated toothpaste or mouthwashes, and I floss much less now too. Reversed all the issues (staining, teeth that hurt when cold or cleaned, gums that bled) I had.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #3

What do you guys put this down to? Less sugar or perhaps bone density?
Presumably the 2MAD means less bacteria?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Less sugar, most likely. Weston A. Price noticed that dental caries were one of the first effects of the shift to a “western” diet.

As for oral bacteria, I forgot to make note of it, but Paul Mason said in a recent lecture that he’d learned that there was one bacterium that, in the mouth, helped promote good oral health, but when in the intestines caused damage. I recently changed operating systems on my computer and, typically, forgot to export and save all my accumulated bookmarks, so back to YouTube looking for this lecture again! :grin:

(Mike W.) #5

What on earth is a gum number? I’ve never heard that before.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #6

I think it’s how far the dentist can prod into the pocket between gum and tooth … anyone?

(Bob M) #7

I think it’s a measure of how far your gums have retracted from where they should be.

(Bob M) #8

@Pjam and @PaulL I have theories. I always have theories…how many of them are correct is the issue. :neutral_face:

Certainly, removing sugar helps. I think eating fewer times a day helps, though I’m not sure exactly why. My main idea? We change the mouth biome. Meat causes different bacteria to form that are (more) protective.

Could also be nutrition. We’re getting better nutrition.

It’s most likely the combination of all of these.

(Jennifer M Worth) #9

(Mike W.) #10

Interesting. I have never heard of this before. Granted, we also won’t talk about the last time I’ve been to a dentist… I must be doing something!

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

I take vit. K supplements and the last time I went to the dentist my gums were fine and the cleaning took very little time. Usually I am in the chair for cleaning about an hr. since I started the K supplements, I was out of the dentist office in under 30 mins. including the check in and check out processes. I drink a lot of coffee, red wine,& black tea so discoloration still happens but the build up of dental plaque is almost completely stopped…