A story of keto WoE and medical establishment mistrust

antiestablishmentism

I have concerns that the anti-science social media virus could be generated from the people who enjoy (too much) the antiestablishment rebellion aspect of the keto WoE.

(MooBoom) #2

As with all things, there will always be people who are prone to extremes. I donā€™t believe this makes the keto way of life dangerous.

I appreciate that the Ketogenic way of life has educated me on the importance of making my doctor my partner in health, and finding a medical professional who is science led. So for me at least, itā€™s been hugely positive.

(Alec) #3

People need to understand that our medical authorities donā€™t always know best. We need to take charge of our own health and look at all the evidence available to manage that health.

Blind faith has served us very badly. Some loss of confidence in the medical establishment are the result of the establishment doing it badly. I donā€™t blame the public for growing sceptical. I blame the professionals who frankly have stuffed it up, and continue to do so.

Indeed Monique. I find the mental calming effect of ketosis can temper my responses in social media debates. Plus some magnesium supplements.

Ketones, possibly when mixed with caffeine, can also fuel a mental vigour that can spill into an argumentative mindset / rebel with a cause invigoration when entering a conversation.

I particularly find this social overstep, from interlocutor to preacher, can first occur amongst family and friends where debate and argument are gifted the freedom of a sport, because the embracing social safety net is founded upon time tested strong bonds.

e.g. Just got into an argument about keto

e.g. Just got into an argument about keto

But the trigger of that overstep in that ā€˜safe environmentā€™, and an adamant position on ketosis, where knowledge mutates into belief, can then be the birth of the beligerant campaigner.

Aside: ā€˜Butā€™ is such a key, loaded, word in any discussion.

:clap:

In an individual bubble context, the beauty of developing a curiosity about personal benefits of nutritional ketosis is the personal realisation of the metabolically enhanced joy of taking of personal responsibility for oneā€™s own health.

Parents, then, extend that responsibility in their limited control over children. They also choose whether to vaccinate their children or not.

Then there are the commercial communicators of dietary WoEs, where they take a personal experience and then broadcast it into the public realm seeking listeners and sponsorship.

Itā€™s at these borders, these outposts of the social construct of the wider community, where the knowledge claim skirmishes happen, where the language and message needs to be carefully modulated so as to not create hostile negative feedback for the participants, and the risk of wall building; a walling off of isolationist, impenetrable belief forts.

Short version:

I need to stop blaming doctors, they were just taught that way.

Long version:

I agree with BOTH of these statements! For the past 10 to 15 years of my life, Iā€™ve been very distrusting of doctors (mainly because my last one wouldnā€™t offer any helpful advice, but just give me a new prescription).

However, I feel like I need to give doctors the benefit of the doubt. For too long medical schools have been skewed by the pharmaceutical point of view, and when youā€™re taught ā€œdrugsā€ thatā€™s what you think.

As more and more doctors are breaking out of their drug induced education, I think weā€™ll start to see improvement in the doctor/patient relationship, and that doctorā€™s will once again, be viewed with the respect they deserve.

Excellent imagery.