A lot of weight to lose, and not losing much weight after 2 months Keto

conversationstarters
keto
newbies

(Julie) #1

Hi there,
I am 27 and started Keto in early October. I have lost about 15 lbs so far, and have been very good at keeping dedicated. I started at 275 lbs and am now 258 but have been very stalled throughout my journey. From what I have been reading the last couple of months, since I am a heavier person I should have lost more weight more steady at this point. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience. I have an active job so I am not sitting at a desk all day and I work out a few times a week. I eat a big breakfast (two eggs and bacon, or 2 oz cream cheese and 2 egg pancakes with bacon) and drink my Keto coffee throughout morning into early afternoon (2 tbs butter, 1.5 tbs of mct oil, 1.5 cup coffee). I am not usually hungry until mid afternoon or when I get home from work at 5, and even then not super hungry. I sometimes don’t eat or I have protein powder with a cup of almond milk and 2 tbs of califa coconut creamer, or mashed avocado with quest protein chips, or fatty meat like a chuck burger or steak with some greens.

Also, I should note that I track using MyFitnessPal. 1600 calories. My carbs are usually between 5-10 net carbs a day. I sometimes struggle to hit my protein but always hit my fat or go over it, but not by a whole lot.

Does anyone see any red flags or am I overthinking…

Let me first start by saying 15 pound down in 2 months is brilliant. A loss, is a loss!
Do you have one KETO coffee?

Don’t count calories, count carbs, and count total, not net.

(Julie) #3

Thank you! It feels and looks like a lot more weight than 15 lbs, and people think I look like u lost more like 40 lbs plus, but that stubborn scale seems to never move!

And yes, only one Keto coffee per day. I was thinking maybe I should stop drinking it and just have my big breakfast and see if it kick starts weight loss again. I wasn’t sure if that’s too much calories/fat in one period of time or not, and I should be spreading out my calories into breakfast lunch and dinner. I am interested in your comment about don’t count calories just carbs. I know there are no easy answers as everyone is different but I sure appreciate your input!

(Mike W.) #4

Do you eat breakfast out of habit or do you wake up hungry?

(Allie) #5

You’re doing great, don’t get fixated on the number on the scale when the results you can see in the mirror are so amazing :heart:

(Cindy) #6

Definitely NOT this. Read Dr. Jason Fung’s books. He talks about insulin levels and the role they play in obesity. Essentially, you’ll do better if you eat ONLY when hungry. Don’t eat if you’re not. If that means you eat 3 meals one day, only 1 the next, that’s fine.

That’s why you only count carbs, not calories. Personally, I don’t even worry about macros because I have weight to lose. So I focus on eating protein, adding in SOME fat (but certainly NOT fat bombs, BPC, etc, but just enough to help with satiety), and keeping carbs as low as possible. And that’s TOTAL carbs.

For example, yesterday, I had homemade tuna salad on a bed of spring mix salad and 4 or 5 olives. Sure, I could have loaded that with more fat (dressing or avocado), but there was fat in the mayo so it was enough. Then for dinner, I had 4-5 oz of steak, some sauteed veg (cabbage, onion, celery, and mushroom) and then used avocado mayo as a dipping sauce. Then, as a “treat,” I had some roasted pecans. Haven’t clue of the carb count in all of that but I know it was low.

(Julie) #7

I wake up hungry in the morning

(Julie) #8

Thanks Allie!

(Julie) #9

I feel like I fixated on getting enough fat so that’s good to know! I was eating fat bombs when I first started in October but found they hindered me rather than helped. Thank you!

(David Miller Putnam) #10

Julie, I want to reiterate what Cindy Ward has said, READ (and listen to on Youtube) what Dr Jason Fung has to say about fasting. I believe it’s the way to get over being stalled. You will be amazed at how little you are hungry.

(Julie) #11

I will definitely be looking into that tonight! I have heard about fasting, and wondered about trying it. For example, if I did a 8/16 fast, it would be eating my big breakfast at 7:30 am and drinking my Keto coffee over 4-5 hours as per usual, and then have my late lunch/early dinner before 3:30 pm, if I’m hungry that is. Correct?

(David Miller Putnam) #12

Yes, that’s the jest of it BUT there are numerous schedules. If this appeals to you buy his book, The Complete guide To Fasting. If you like what you read, Get his first book, The Obesity Code. What I have found is when I’m in some degree of ketosis, I’m like you, I don’t have much hunger. You’ll be surprised how easy that makes fasting. When he tells you people worry about how hard it will be and then find it really isn’t, believe him. I’ve found I like and find easy the OMAD fasting. I eat One Meal A Day and get in close to a 24 hour fast.

(mole person) #13

Here is a flag that you asked for. Keto works by allowing longer extended periods with no insulin spikes throughout the day. If you are slowly drinking calories all day long you will definitely be hindering this process. After looking at how you eat I think you may be best served by just abandoning the keto coffee if you can. If you need to eat more at breakfast to compensate then do that, it’s better.

Secondly, try to stay away from any processed ketoish foods like the protein chips and protein powder, these are often far less ketoish than advertised. Your other choices of “fatty meat like a chuck burger or steak with some greens” are much, much better options.

Finally, as has been said above, it’s better to be under your fat macro when trying to lose weight. You should only be actually trying to hit that macro when you are first adapting to this WOE and starving and crazed with carb addiction or when you are at maintenance weight and have too little fat on your body to metabolize for fuel day to day.

Best wishes for your success!

(mole person) #14

I just LOVE OMAD eating. Not just is it great for weight loss (it’s taken me right down to my 20 year old weight of 110 lbs) but it’s just so great to not think about food ALL day long. And after a while you get zero hunger signals on a normal day. I still get some if unusually stressed or if I’ve had a sleepless night, but when that happens I just listen to them and have a second meal, no biggy.

(Julie) #15

I really appreciate your input! I am very interested in the one meal a day approach. I love eating breakfast before work as I feel it prepares me for the work day ahead doing lots of physical work. If you don’t mind me asking, what does your one meal a day look like on an average day?

(Mike W.) #16

So you are likely not fat adapted yet. You want to stretch the time between meals as much as comfortably possible. Say 6 or 7pm to 12-1 would be an 18-6 intermittent fast.

(mole person) #17

I do the opposite. I’m never hungry early so I eat around 6pm. Before that I have 0 calories. I used to have cream in my coffee but this was really abused by me and I was pretty much just slow-dripping whipping cream into me all day long. Now I drink the coffee black and the abuse has stopped. I find after two cups I lose all desire for more.

So for dinner I usually have one or two meat based dishes. Tonight I had a pot roast and some fried chicken livers. I also had a half avocado, some olives, and I had some cheeses out for my husband (I’m currently experimenting with no dairy myself…but this is more to try to resolve some residual digestive problems that have plagued me for many years and that keto has already helped a lot with).

A few times a week I add in a proper vegetable side, but I don’t do this every day as I find too much leads to discomfort, I really do it so as not to deprive my poor husband too much. However, a good vegetable side is great if you don’t have problems with them.

Basically, when you are OMAD you don’t really have to calculate much. If you eat keto vegetables and make sure you are getting a lot of fats with your food you won’t go over unless you are one of those people who never feels full (my husband is one of these). I can’t remember the last time I counted macros. This 1 hour eating window also means that for 23 hrs your body is in a lowering insulin state. This makes weight loss very easy. I only lost my last ten pounds when I started OMAD.

If you just started keto in October I’d slowly ease towards OMAD however. Start with an 8 hr feeding window and slowly winnow it down. This is how my husband and I did it. If you already don’t eat for eight hours straight as your habit, then you can start with a 6 hr feeding window.

Good luck!

(Mike W.) #18

Just of note, OMAD has been said to be better for weight maintenance than weight loss. People tend to calorie restrict when eating OMAD. Maybe start with pushing back Lunch and then eating Dinner and see how you feel.

This is why you’re not losing as fast as you want to. Your body uses fat from what you eat or what you have stored. If you’re eating a lot of fat you wont burn much if any. To lose weight on keto, once fat adapted, you can eat dare I say “low fat”. This will promote burning body fat.

(mole person) #20

I’ve heard this too, but in my case I couldn’t lose the last ten pounds until I went mostly OMAD. Although, I’m not super strict. When I get hungry I have a second meal, and that happens two or three times a week possibly. Maybe that’s why it worked for me, I was changing it up without thinking about it.