A few tips for a disabled guy?

(Rusty Andres) #41

Wow thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, vegetables, especially cruciferous ones, are necessary for me. Being on painkillers for 10 years plus losing weight rapidly with keto can cause fatty liver, so I have to be vigilant about it. So far I have no liver issues. I get it checked at least twice a year and I don’t drink alcohol. So far so good.

I’m also trying to train my pallet to appreciate bitter foods. About a week ago I took a sip of soda just to see and it was way too sweet. I used to drink around 6 cans a day. So that was very surprising and encouraging for me.
When I start a new project, whatever it may be, I tend to turn things up to 11. So that’s a big part of why I’m choking down smoothies. I like to push myself and find my limits, which is how I injured my back in the first place. Maybe I’m a masochist lol.

Another reason is produce is extremely cheap where I live and I’m poor. KY has tons of local farms so even organic stuff is fairly cheap. So training myself to like greens is a very good thing for me on many levels.

(Rusty Andres) #42

I just discovered the awesomeness of heavy whipping cream today as a matter of fact. I’m going to try keto coffee tomorrow once my 20 hours has passed. It made my smoothies much creamier so the texture is much more enjoyable.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

See? What did I tell you? You’re already finding your way. KCKO! :bacon:

(Todd Allen) #44

Next time you cook a steak or any fatty piece of meat as soon as you pull it out of the pan toss in a handful of spinach or other quick cooking greens (turnip, chard, etc.), sprinkle on some salt and any other seasonings of your choice and cook it until it wilts and is well coated in the drippings. If you only have a modest amount of drippings add some butter. You ought to find it a tasty addition to your meal instead of something you must suffer to choke down.

(Rusty Andres) #45

I just made my ghetto version of keto coffee.

1 k cup
1tbsp butter
1tbsp mct oil
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
2 squirts of stevia

Wow! It was amazing. I’ve always hated coffee. I love cappuccino and some lattes but normal coffee always tasted like an ashtray to me. This stuff was heavenly.

I’m going to be getting a French press and some actual coffee beans soon but this was all I had right now.

Yay!!! Glad you like it! Remember to add a little good quality salt if you find it getting a little bitter.

I think you’ll really like the french press because it keeps all the good volatile oils which gives (I think) a better, fuller flavor. Coffee made with a paper filter tastes horrible to me now.

(Sophie) #47

Gimme my French Press or gimme death!
When I exit stage left, they’ll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers! :smile::coffee:

(Darlene Horsley) #48

I do that very same ghetto version.:rofl:
I love it!

(CharleyD) #49

Fantastic news! You are well on your way to detoxing from glucose/fructose and ready to appreciate how yummy natural fats can be!

(Consensus is Politics) #50

Well, I used to hate coffee until after about a year in the Air Force. First it was to wake up for being at work at 0630. Then it was drank in large quantities to keep worm in the desert winter nights in So. Calif.

Now I drink it just about anytime day or night. The caffeine never seems to hurt my sleeping. I lay down, I’m ready to sleep. Give me five minutes and I’m out. Unless the wife is there asking me questions every 4 minutes ( yes, I actually timed her, ever 4 minutes for an hour, like clockwork🙄)

My favorite, and this will be hard to believe I’m sure, is a particular instant coffee that actually tastes pretty good. It’s my choice because of the taste. You can work the brand name out in that sentence if you really care to. I have tried every brand of instant I could find in the local supermarkets. All of them but the one brand taste like dirt. I couldn’t believe anyone would willingly drink the stuff. Not kidding. Tastes like brewing soil. I never would have gotten hooked on this one without the wife insisting on it. I was still brewing my own. But this works out so well I just gave up on brewing. I’m too old to get up early to grind beans, and brew a cup. Or to spend the money on one of those auto grinder/brewers on a timer.:cowboy_hat_face:

(Rusty Andres) #51

Today I used freshly ground dark French roast coffee and a French press to make it. Omg what a difference! Best cup of coffee I’ve ever had in my life.

I also made low carb cheesecake cups.

For the crust I just used almond flour and butter. For the cake I used Cream cheese, Stevia powder, eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.

Then I made some icing using organic peanut butter and unsweetened Cocoa powder. I kept adding heavy cream as I was whipping it up until I got it to the consistency I wanted.

After baking them it said to let them refrigerate for 24 hrs but mine set completely after only an hour or so.

They are amazing and taste no different than normal new York style cheesecake.

For the exact recipe just Google keto cheesecake. I used the one that makes cupcakes. I substituted the sweetener they suggested with powdered stevia in the raw. I used about a quarter cup of it. Turned out absolutely perfect.

(CharleyD) #52

Same thing I thought :thinking:.

Just peek your head in, don’t go all the way down the rabbit hole! Cause then you’ll be tempted to make your own beans so that they’re alive when you roast them:

Yay! I’m delighted! Welcome to the world of real coffee! Your cheesecakes sound awesome!

(JB ) #54

I’m not sure which episode it is from The Dude’s podcasts, but they interviewed a disabled guy who can’t exercise and I believe he had lost 100 pounds. Very inspiring guy.

I’m disabled too, but oddly, because of thyroid med changes and keto, I’m regaining some strength. A year ago I was using a scooter to get around my house and walked a little. Now I’m walking more and rarely use the scooter- except for the last day or so after I sprained my big toe (ouch).

Keto has been the best thing for me. You will learn your way. No one is perfect. In the beginning, I found a recipe for some fat bombs made with maple syrup and butter. They tasted good at first and then I was repulsed by the sweetness. I threw them away. Sad waste of butter. I learned because it says it’s a fat bomb, it’s not necessarily keto. Frankly, I don’t snack anymore, but in the beginning, fatty snacks really helped. I’m also dairy-free. This posed some challenges at first, but I’ve learned how to get around it. I also stay away from keto desserts- for me it reinforces bad habits. I do allow a square of 85% chocolate everyday and that satisfies my need for a little treat.

I also find batch cooking a big help. I store stuff and then it’s ready when I need food.

The other thing I do is move as much as I possibly can, get out as much as I can. By moving, for me that means doing dishes, laundry, cooking, shopping for food. I find I sleep better if I’m more active.

We all have to find out what works for us in this way of eating. Good luck in your progress. Listen to the podcasts- Richard and Carl are excellent at educating us how we can keto on!

(Jennifer Andersen) #55

I would look up Dr. Jason Fung and his book about fasting. Adding fasting to your keto diet might help you to get past any stubborn spots and doesn’t require exercise. You don’t have to do long fasts. What you do now by not having breakfast can be considered a fast. I, for instance, fast on a 16/8 schedule, which means that 16 hours a day I don’t eat. I only let myself eat from 2pm-8pm (unless life throws a wrench). That kind of fasting may be helpful…then, if you feel able, you might try an extended fast. Anyway, I believe the book is called The Complete Guide to Fasting and you can get a sample from Kindle and see if it’s something you might be interested in. He also has a channel on YouTube with videos and a very active Facebook Fan page.

Good luck!

(Dan Dan) #56

Amazing progress JB :smiley:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Rusty Andres) #57

Yes as it turned out I’ve been sort of doing intermittent fasting for years without really trying. I’ve been watching Dr Eric berg on YouTube and he has a ton of videos on IF. Currently I’m doing 20:4 IF. It was tough to do at first without snacking at all but the keto coffee has made it much easier since it has so much fat and nothing that activates insulin release.

The biggest challenge for me is to incorporate as much cruciferous veggies as possible to help keep my liver from turning fatty. I still can’t stand greens, especially kale, but I’ve been eating a lot more broccoli and cauliflower so hopefully that will be enough.

(Rob) #58

Don’t the screams unsettle you as they are slowly roasted… to death! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(CharleyD) #59

:rofl::thinking::coffee:

It’s a constant internal struggle to want to improve, but in the end I buy the crappy zombie coffee from the store. Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat.