6 weeks of keto but not fat adapted yet

newbies
food

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #21

If I were you and feeling this way I might stop making bullet proof coffee and stick to some cream and not add the extra fat. If you want your body to use your fat for fuel push it in that direction and give it less additional dietary fat.

Also, you can’t get clear answers because there are many variables and everyone can experience things differently and on different timelines. You said you don’t want to start exercise but maybe just walking would jump start weight loss. I have personally not lost more than about 10 lbs in four months but today I got myself into a size 14 pants and I started at an 18-20.

(Willow) #22

According to crono-o-meter in order to lose 1 lb or less of weight in a week I should eat 104 g of fat in a day. Its this correct? Should I be eating less? If I do less of all macros calories fall below 1200 which I have always heard is bad.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #23

I’m not suggesting you do less of all macros, just cut out the fat in the coffee. I don’t know how much fat you should be eating. I never counted that macro, same with protein. I have literally ONLY counted carbs and I eat under 20 net carbs a day. I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m full. I don’t snack in between meals. I am someone who eats three times a day and usually the last meal is at 5 pm and breakfast is at 8 am.

This is how I do it, but others do different things. I tried an app in the beginning but for me it was a lot of work and I felt like I was spending way too much time on it and then obsessing about getting macros filled or going over and don’t even get me started on micros. According to my app I was doing it all wrong.

I went back to what I know worked for me in the past, the Atkins diet. It’s very simple and easy to follow but some people feel it’s too high in protein. For me, it works, I feel great and never added fat for the sake of adding fat, which is why I suggested it. I hope this helps.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

It generally takes between six and eight weeks. How are you feeling? Do you exercise at all? Any signs of performance coming back? People don’t always see their ketone levels drop after fat-adaptation. It’s very common, but not 100%. If you follow the pattern of most people, you’re right on the cusp. Hang in there!

Not quite true, alas! The feeling of not being hungry is related to the hormone leptin, which your fat tissue secretes to tell the brain to turn off your hunger. High insulin blocks the leptin receptors in the brain, so the signal never gets through. But insulin drops pretty quickly after we stop eating carbs, at least enough for lepting to get through to the hypothalamus again, so hunger goes away weeks before fat-adaptation.

Fat-adaptation is a cellular hormonal and enzymatic process that enables the metabolism of fatty acids. It’s not really connected to the leptin signaling between fat tissue and brain.

(Not a cow) #25

That’s an awesome story Shane, Congrats, well done !

(Nicole Wetnicka) #26

I’m in the same boat.

(Nicole Wetnicka) #27

I’m going on almost 10 weeks (2.5 months) and lost 12-13. Numbers go up and down all the time. But finally with this plan - I am not binging, feeling sick, yoYoing - I did a lot of damage too. For many years. Even if I lose a pound or less a week it’ll be worth it in the end. Stay positive as much as you can. Reach out to others. I use monk fruit in the raw when I need a sweetener. I too use redi-whip as an emergency fix. Lol.

I try and just drink coffee with cream in the mornings till I can’t stand the hunger. Then a salad with healthy fats, or fatty meats / veg , some nuts or pepitas!
Iced coffee with cream mid day. Plenty of avocado, raw coconut meat, keto bars as needed.

Hang in there. I figure it might take 4 to 6 months to see any big change but I’ll never know if it would’ve happened if I don’t stick with it !!

Good luck.

(Marianne) #28

I like this. When I first started, I was always afraid of whether I was “doing it right” or not. Now, I don’t think about it much anymore, which is very freeing. Just keep the carbs as low as possible (def. under 20 but many times way less, because I find I don’t need them), and eat what you want. For the first 2-3 weeks, you may want to eat 2-3x/day, just to nourish your body and get it at a level set. After that, I bet you’ll find you won’t want to eat as much or as often - but your body will tell you think. Good luck.