5 years low carb this July. How to celebrate?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #1

Hey guys, what the title says. I went to a low carb high/healthy fat diet in 2016. Hard to believe that it’s been so long!

While my journey continues (which I will write an update on elsewhere in the forums), I reckon 5 years low sugar/low starch is worth celebrating.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I should do? Keto cheesecake? Splurge on an online course I’ve been wanting to do? What have you all done to celebrate “ketoversaries?” Tell me!

(Bob M) #2

Since mine is January 1st (started 1/1/14), I honestly have never thought about a “ketoversary”. I’m usually recovering from staying up until midnight (yes, I’m older).

Maybe I need to rethink this?

I always like cheesecake, and we’ve been making cheesecake in the sous vide. This way, you use small glass jars that freeze well, too.\

Anyway, I’m thinking carb binge. You? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s very individual. I would go on a long hiking and eating roasted pork chuch afterwards. Or even some salmon. And eggs. And a cocoa with lots of whipped cream…

I ate way too much cake on my keto, I don’t desire them anymore. But cheesecake is different, it sounds good, I plan to make one and always postpone as I have easier and better food.

I don’t think I need to celebrate anything woe related with food, honestly. If I want something special, I eat that on any day. But wanting a cheesecake on an anniversary, I understand that too :slight_smile: Do what you want, can and feel right to do!
And congrats! I had my 10th low-carb anniversary… Maybe this year or the last one, I haven’t the vaguest idea. You people with your time memory… I don’t have anything like that. I am together with my SO since 21 years but maybe it’s 20? I don’t know. It’s not important for me.
I went keto (and do on/off since)… 5 years ago? 4? 6? Beats me. I have notes so maybe I can figure it out but I went keto so many times and I started my notes a few times…
Maybe I should make some research on my HDD.

Bold idea but you are right… Maybe I should eat THREE pickles on my birthday, with my chuck roast (at least I memorized my birthday. and my SO’s but his are a holiday so it was easier. I always forget everyone else’s)! I used to eat a whole jar but I just don’t desire that anymore.

My ideal cheesecake is a bit carby too, with red fruits jelly on top. To me, it must be red fruits jelly, it’s so beautiful on white…

My “carby”, “carb binge” definition changed tremendously in the last several years. I guess many ketoers have the same. Not the “just doing it for a few months as a short term diet” ones but the longer term ones. Even me and I do it on and off all the time. I can’t seem to stick to it for a whole week. But I still have carnivore-ish as my default and my habits stay with me when I am off. (If I do some normal keto, that’s off for me due to my default woe.)
Even when I had just started keto, if I thought about sugar, a carrot came to mind (maybe. but the reverse thing always happened, I looked at a carrot and saw sugar. I am so glad that I look at some meat and see meat :D).

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #5

Yeah guys I agree, I have def reduced my massive carb binges over the years. In my first 6 months I was quite strict; over the next couple of years I would have the occasional monstrous junk food binge, especially when coming back for a visit to my home country. But then I noticed that the urge to go big on these binges petered out.

Funny, I actually thought people did occasionally plan something special to mark keto milestones. If anyone has other suggestions, I’m all ears!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

How about a nice, juicy steak? :cut_of_meat: You could wrap it in bacon as an extra treat. :bacon:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

I saw people celebrate, it’s far from unusual but some of us simply eat good stuff all the time and feel little need for special things at certain days. Maybe I want my usual pancakes on my special day, it would be a waste to eat salmon I happen not to want at the time :smiley:
And there are many ways to celebrate things, food doesn’t need to be involved, many of us learn that at some point especially if we are food addicted and try to change certain habits.
But we need to eat anyway so yep, we can choose something special if we wish (just like on any other day, probably).

(Bob M) #9

Having a beer would be nice. In the last 7+ years, I’ve bought maybe a handful, if that. I still drink 1-2, periodically 3, drinks per week, but they’re either red/white wine or hard liquor.

I definitely think it’s a good idea to celebrate. I just never thought of it.

If you have a sous vide, we use this recipe for the cheesecake part:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ic-mini-cheesecakes-7297817

We use fake sugar instead of real. We use a Maria Emmerich recipe (pork rinds, I forget what else) for the crust, which we put on the bottom of the jars.