5 days in, already weight loss

newbies

(Miro) #1

I have been on a basic keto with 30g of carbs.
I am not trying to lose weight, just trying to ketone for a cancer issue and it seems to take my mind off things.
I have a ketone blood meter and I am not in ketosis. I’m reading only a 0.3 (that is ok). I don’t think some of my meds will let me get into keto for a while.

But I have weight loss.
About 10 lbs. 190lbs to 180lbs.
(86kg to 80kg)

Is that normal in the start?

I am using the app Carb Meter to help track foods and nutrition and learn the ropes.
It has me set to 30 net carbs
200g of fat
150 protein a day.

5% 25% 70%. (Carb, fat, protein)

It calculated it after I put in I was 6 feet and 190 lbs.

Does that calc seem right? How do I check easy? Maybe some numbers need to be raised?

I eat and I feel full. I can eat twice a day if needed but some of my meds need to be eaten with food so I do split meals over breakfast lunch and supper.

Any comments appreciated.

Ty.
-Total newb

(Carl Keller) #2

Hello Miro.

Yes it’s fairly normal to experience a noticeable weight loss when you first start LCHF. If we keep our carb totals low enough, our body’s reserves of glycogen, which are stored in our liver and muscles, becomes depleted and we lose a fair amount of water weight. You can gain all of this weight back rather quickly by loading up on carby foods.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

Many but not all people lose a good amount of weight the first week, but it is mostly water. I know weight loss isn’t your goal, but do you have some to lose? If not you might want to up your fat intake a little bit.

I do come to keto from a weight loss angle, so if anyone has better advice than I do for keto for cancer, please listen to them rather than me. Intermittent fasting is by no means required, so don’t worry that you need to eat to take your meds.

Here is a handy guide for new folks:

Keto for beginners

And welcome to the forum!

(Miro) #4

I always exercised a lot and held around 86kg/190 lbs.
I can lose some, but the goal was to try to ketosis to feel like I am doing something or trying something for brain cancer. Otherwise I was just eating and waiting for my alarm for my next pill. Scratches a brain itch right now.

The main difference I found so far with the food I eat is that it is not held up by potatoes or a bowl of rice.

I use to eat similar, just added all the carbs on the bottom and worked it off with a lot of exercise.
My exercise days are over as I lost some function so I didn’t expect to lose so much right away.
I’ll watch my weight daily to see I guess.

(Scott) #5

I feel keto is a good plan for you. You may want to lower your carbs even more to starve the cancer of its main fuel, glucose. To limit fat loss you can always increase fat %.

(Miro) #6

That was my goal. Some people say it’s mumbo jumbo but at least at this point I needed to try to feel like I am doing ‘something’ other than just sitting and taking the next pill.

I find Cooking and planning the meal is theraputic so I dont become mental case. It takes my mind off things.

If it works, it works, if not, I tried. Can’t do more than that.

Ty

(bulkbiker) #7

You might find some of the responses on this thread interesting

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/looking-for-advice-brain-cancer-keto/85855

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

Hi Miro. I also have cancer but it’s blood cancer, not a tumor based cancer (although I do have a few lesions on the bones) so keto doesn’t necessarily effect my cancer. I do find that I have more energy, less slumps after eating and much less heartburn. I have also had so much relief from the inflammation in my feet caused by chemo induced peripheral neuropathy.

I sleep better and despite the stress, anxiety and depression I’m maintaining a decent outlook or can cycle out of them faster. I think feeding our bodies and brains what they need is a big help. Of course part of me wants a pity party and to eat a box of donuts when I’m really feeling sorry for myself, but having meat/cheese/veg and waking up feeling better is all the proof I need.

I haven’t done keto while on steroids (I took them for a year before my bone marrow transplant a couple years ago and gained 30 lbs). I’ve just lost that weight in six months and plan to stay keto when I have to go back on them to help keep my blood sugar as low as I can and avoid blowing up like a tick.

I personally keep carbs below 20 grams a day. Eat mostly meat with cheese, dairy and veg thrown in. I don’t eat nuts, do eat fermented veggies, and I’m heavy on the pork, chicken and fish. My cancer doc is aware of my diet and on board. Glucose started out in the 115’s and is now in the 80’s.

Best wishes on your journey and we’re here if you need support.

One thing I’ve read in my research is to avoid omega 6 fatty oils. I was surprised to read that as I thought flax seed would be good. But some cancer cells thrive on it.

Good luck. Are you going the usual route? Radiation, chemotherapy?

(Miro) #10

Ya, usual route. Not a lot of options when some of this gets diagnosed.

Why the fatty oils. I always ate and thought salmon was excellent.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Salmon is good, seed oils like flax, canola, corn, sunflower, safflower and soybean oil are bad. The salmon has significant omega 3 to help counteract and omega 6 levels. Seed and vegetable oils are highly processed and toxic to your cellular health. And they’re inflammatory which causes all kinds of issues. Stick with animal fats, coconut, olive and avocado oils, and butter. Fish oil supplements can help sort out triglyceride issues faster but may not be as useful once that gets in a healthy range. At that point grass fed beef, butter and eggs will help maintain healthy omega 3 levels.

You’re probably already read up on brain cancers and keto but

You might benefit from coconut oil, MCT and going as close to zero carb as you can. AKA Carnivore. Keeping glucose as low as possible is best with cancers. There are a few cancers that don’t die off from glucose starvation and high ketones, but I didn’t find that anywhere reading about brain cancers. I have read that a couple of types of cancer do well using ketones but I can’t remember which ones. But melanoma is a major one that thrives on fats. I wish you the best, getting healed, healthy and cancer free. :cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #12

I really do wish you well. This is an anti-inflammatory diet and the initial weight loss is largely fluid from glycogen stores, as stated, and from inflammation in the body. This means you may not have lost much, if any, fat.
Early research shows that brain cancers are probably the most receptive to a Ketogenic diet.
I have been particulary touched by the story of Dr Gary Fettke, who had brain cancer and believes the Keto diet cured him. He does a number of brilliant presentations on YouTube that may inspire you.
Stay with the forum, you will find endless support here I’m sure.