32 day ZC Variable Protein Test

(Jacquie) #73

Nice selection of cheeses! Delish. :slight_smile:

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #74

I’m trying hard not to pester people on the forum, but I have waited long enough for a recipe! Bacon Soup, how could you tease us without a recipe! :wink::smile:

Yeah…I snapped the photos when I made it yesterday. I will get the recipe up today. And please, you are not pestering at all. Thanks for the reminder…it’s appreciated. :grinning:

Day 32 - Cheese

Yay!! I made it to the end!

I was feeling energetic all day long today. With no tummy aches. Was just a bit hungry.

Daily Stats:

1. How does gut feel? Felt good today.
  2. Hunger level? I felt a bit hungry today.
  3. Mood? Upbeat, optimistic
  4. Energy level? Pretty good!
  5. Sleep? Good deep sleep.
  6. Delta weight since start = +1.0 lbs

Today I ate paneer cheese fried in homemade ghee, and with homemade creme fraiche dipping sauce

(Adam L) #77

Congratulations on reaching your goal @Fiorella this thread has been a great read and a wealth of knowledge in many ways, especially when it comes to food. The recipes section of this forum in particular is so much the richer for all the magnificent photos, instructions and cooking technique tips you have shown us - thank you.

Day 33 - the day after the last day of cheese

To close this off, I need to report one more day, in order to show the effect of the protein of the previous day.

I was feeling energetic all day long today, and without stomach aches. Not hungry at all.

Daily Stats:

1. How does gut feel? Felt good today.
  2. Hunger level? Not hungry at all.
  3. Mood? Upbeat, optimistic
  4. Energy level? Pretty good!
  5. Sleep? Good deep sleep.
  6. Delta weight since start = +0.4 lbs

It’s pretty amazing that the result of 32 days of ZC eating, which followed a 7-day fast, ended with only +0.4 lbs.

I graphed my results:

A few interesting observations:

1. fish correlated with the highest weight gain
  2. switching to another protein often correlated with a drop in weight
  3. egg correlated with most drastic drop in weight

7 day fast

Great graph…really interesting results!!! Thanks for taking one for the team and sharing.

What a great idea and really interesting results!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #81

I have data graphed for my ZC January that I need to finish and add to the ZC string. I luv how you show the protein differences… letting you know I may incorporate your style into my graph, but I wasn’t tracking protein sources everyday. This will help with my future experiments!

Yeah, for me there were a few surprises in there. I can certainly see why eggs are used for fasting. And it was nice to see that cheese didn’t spike my weight. Also, switching protein had an impact, too.

Great work! :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2:

It’s my understanding that the more cooked an egg :egg: yolk is, the harder it is to digest and at some point (I don’t know what that it is) it’s impractical for the body to use. I don’t think the distinction applies to egg whites.

Reviewing your log it doesn’t look like there was any distinction made between fully cooked egg yolks and gently cooked ones other than to mention how they were cooked and not separated in the sense that entire days were dedicated to observing the effects of one or the other.

Do you have any information, opinion or intuitive sense of which was better?

That’s very interesting. The second day was perhaps the most cooked egg (hard boiled and pickled for a few weeks), followed by last day, thin omelettes. However, even though cooked through, they weren’t obscenely over cooked. I can tell you that I love and crave soft yolks, and typically feel a bit of stomach discomfort with fully cooked egg yolks. I think what you are saying is very compelling, and perhaps another gem of info to discover with eggs. I should do a one week soft boil egg fast, followed by a one week hard boil…and see what happens. Thank you for pointing that out.

That’s exactly what prompted this in me since I recently had hard-boiled eggs with discomfort whereas I normally have omelettes or raw eggs and no discomfort and I’ve been craving the soft yolks, too.

My kitchen is a disaster right now because of an ongoing renovation, but if I can work out the logistics, I’m going to try a mini ZC Variable Protein Test focused on cooked, gently cooked and uncooked eggs.

Cooked is easy and can be hard-boiled.

Gently cooked could just be poached by dropping them in some hot water from the microwave. I also have an induction cooking plate and could gently fry them.

Uncooked, well that’s easiest of all and I used to freely add them to home-made kefir for a meal-replacement shake.

Awesome. I’d love to know what you discover as results. I will share my results, too.

I’m looking forward to seeing your results, Becky! It will be interesting what you discover.

(Genevieve Biggs) #88

Thank you for sharing this journey with us!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

(Stephanie Hanson) #89

Wow!!! This is awesome. I’m too chicken to try this. If I had to give up cheese or beef, I’d be so unhappy.

(Meeping up the Science!) #90

Scientist, engineer, or programmer? It’s a beautiful graph!

Kidding aside, that is so fascinating, Fiorella! Interesting correlations, as well. I’ve been tempted to try something similar, however I have a deep loathing for unincorporated eggs that is only surpassed by my hatred of vegemite and reality television. I might have to give it a shot anyway.

Haha. I’m busted! Yes, I’m an engineer.

Skip the eggs if you don’t want to do them. Feels a bit like food jail going through this, but now that it’s done, I’m glad.

I was a bit surprised with these results. It’s going to influence my food choices going forward for sure.

I will be interested to see what happens during the one month beef trial now.

(Meeping up the Science!) #92

Heh. Well, it was way too nice to be done by a programmer! (Sorry, programmer guys!) Engineers always have the best graphs… and we just wuss out and use SPSS to do ours.

So here’s my question, Fiorella: what part of your 32 day challenge did you enjoy the most?