3 weeks in and very frustrated

(Jennifer M Palacios) #21

I usually eat breakfast at about 10am. I guess my coffee and HWC hold me until then. I think cutting breakfast out shouldn’t be too hard for me. Eating twice a day without snacks is pretty much what I am aiming for, as long as I am comfortable doing it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

If you eat enough at each meal, then you should be just fine on two meals a day and no snacks. If you need to snack, however, make sure it’s protein and fat, not carbohydrate, and eat more at your next meal.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #23

Thank you! I really do appreciate everyone’s advice and input. The support in this forum is awesome!

best and simplest rely on the thread :call_me_hand: from Paul

and to JP—eat enough to help you and be satisfied at all times, kcal count be darned LOL and then if you need more, don’t go carby way, go meat protein/fat way and it will help you so much!!

Now also you said coffee and hwc holds you. Drop the coffee and hwc and wake up and eat well. You will experience big changes in just doing this. Coffee and hwc can take out appetite that we require to thrive, so don’t drink til ya eat…ohhh it is hard LOL but a real truth thru it all.

Coffee, hwc. Not in nature. Waking up wanting to eat some eggs and meat you want, more normal of a real life ya know from thinking back in the day.

just things to think and absorb and research and learn about you! You is all that counts in all this :slight_smile:

(Jennifer M Palacios) #25

I will definitely see if I can drop the coffee and HWC in the mornings. I have tried to not have coffee but I have never really succeeded. LOL

Thank you for the input.:slightly_smiling_face:

ahhh it ain’t ever you got to drop it, it is eat real food on plan first and then if you want that coffee then have it.

it is 1000% about food to fuel the body vs. that nice drink that could rob our bodies of wanting to eat.

so yea you could have it all, just put it in a timeline to work for you and not against…I hope that all makes sense to you.

real food before liquid stuff and you will find yourself changing more than ya think but again, it is very personal to all of us :slight_smile: KNOW you and truths and you got that path forward.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #27

Thank you for explaining that a little better for me. It makes much more sense and sounds like something I can definitely do. :+1:

(Khalil Islam-Zwart) #28

There are a lot of different approaches to fasting. As I worked my way to coffee/tea and water fasts, I would often include bits of fat/MCT oil for energy. My philosophy was that if it didn’t impact my blood sugar/glucose, I wouldn’t worry about if I was technically “fasting” or not. That said, adding MCT and even a splash of HWC to my coffee 2x a day (morning/lunch) didn’t raise my blood sugar at all. When you are fat adapted, you don’t have the heavy “hangry” sensations you get when you fuel off sugar/glucose, so the fasting gets easier… just drink water when you feel hungry. Often what we perceive as hunger is really habit. Its our head telling us to eat rather than our body telling us we need fuel.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #29

I have heard of MCT Oil and have seen it in the grocery store. I just never purchased it because it is rather pricey and I was afraid I wouldn’t like it. Can you describe the taste or does it not have a taste to it?

(Jennifer M Palacios) #30

Just a little update…I didn’t eat lunch until noon today and surprisingly I didn’t feel too bad. I ate dinner at 7:30pm last night, so that was about 16 hours? I have to say I feel really good. :+1:

(Khalil Islam-Zwart) #31

Generally speaking, it has a light coconut flavor, but it is not very overpowering. I will typically add it to coffee and heavy whipping cream, most often I will froth the heavy whipping cream and oil together, then pour it into the coffee. Sometimes, I just pour them both into the coffee and stir. The oil will rise to the top, but I’ll just drink it first with coffee and cream and it taste fine. The one thing to be aware of is start slow. Start with a teaspoon of oil and work up to a tablespoon. When you first start taking it, it tends to cause a little bit of loose stool.As your body gets used to it, the side effects goes away.

(Khalil Islam-Zwart) #32

Also, you can usually find it at places like Costco, and even Walmart carries a few brands. I like to focus on oils that are higher in the six and eight chains, but it’s still a good source of fat.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #33

Awesome, Thanks. I will look for some the next time I go to the grocery store.

(Bob M) #34

I’ve thrown away multiple bottles of MCT oil. Unless it’s 100% C8 MCT oil, I can’t drink it. Any of it. Even teaspoons of it.

If it works for you, that’s great. But not all of us can handle the stuff.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #35

My sister uses it and she loves it. I just haven’t tried it yet.

(Edith) #36

If you were vegetarian for a while, adding meat back in could be building up bone and muscles. That won’t show as weight loss on the scale but doesn’t mean your not still losing some fat. Noticing how your appearance is changing or measurements are shrinking may give you some better indications right now.

Some people don’t lose much weight right away because their bodies have healing to do first. I remember listening to a Keto Dudes podcast with a couple and the wife actually gained weight her first six weeks,’but then she finally started losing some weight. Unfortunately, I don’t remember what episode.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

This is not a criticism of you, Edie, but rather of how we use language. The assumption that when the scales go up or down the “weight” involved was fat only, is part of the problem. I believe that “weight” is actually a euphemism for “fat,” and if we could get people to understand that, they wouldn’t panic so much when the scale doesn’t do what they think it should.

Dr. Phinney tells of a short-term study he conducted, in which overweight women were put on a short-term ketogenic diet. They lost on average about 14 lbs., except for one woman, who was devastated that she’d only lost 7. A body composition analysis (probably a DEXA scan, but I don’t remember at the moment) showed that she had indeed lost 14 lbs. of fat, like the others, but she had put on 7 lbs. of lean tissue. If we spoke honestly of being “overfat” and needing to lose “fat” more regularly, perhaps the poor woman wouldn’t have been so upset in the first place, I don’t know.

(Edith) #38

Well… I will stand semi corrected. The second paragraph really needs the first paragraph for context. :grinning:

What are you macros? How did you measure them. Remember a true keto diet, you are getting 70-90% of your daily calories from fat. Are you measuring your blood ketones? If not why not?

(Jennifer M Palacios) #40

I don’t measure ketones because I have heard that they aren’t always accurate.