3/19/2024 Labs are in

(Denise) #1

Ok, my cholesterol went down, a little, but I’m sure my doctor will still try to push the statins on me but no go for me. I feel like maybe it will keep coming down, but if it doesn’t I’m not going to worry. Trigs/HDL is 1.9. (128/65).

Here’s the “trend” chart for that, and the main lipids, and Comprehensive blood group under that:

(Bob M) #2

Denise, do you drink coffee?

(Denise) #3

Why, do I sound wired :grin: I guess the answer is no since it’s decaf, and only one cup, but I add some things to it like my collagen, turmeric, cinnamon, heavy whipping cream, dash of pepper and dash of stevia powder :wink:

(Marianne) #4

I’m surprised it went down. Mine is very high but I’ve learned not to worry about it. This is another area where conventional medical science has not kept up. I do like to follow my HDL. That value is high and it makes me feel like I am doing something right.

(Bob M) #5

Coffee, even decaf, can raise triglycerides for some:

You might be one of those people.

(Denise) #6

I hear your Marianne, I’m surprised some doctors, seems most sadly, don’t even look at the info is actually “out there”. I’m afraid some don’t want to stop pushing the drugs. I mean where would they be if everyone got wise to statins, and the truth about cholesterol, at least what I believe is truth.

My neighbor was prescribed statins for her 170 cholesterol!! I heard someone here say that, I guess, BIG pharma is pushing to get everyone on statins, so even if you registered 5 on the cholesterol “richter” scale you’d be hit up to take a statin.

(Bob M) #7

I’ve been asked to take a statin, and I got ONE test in last at least 5 years of 130 (normally around/below 100). And I have some theories why my LDL went up.

(Denise) #8

I better look into it, my trigs are high, but you say 2?? Does that mean by not drinking decaf I would just go down to 126 instead of 128? But you say that is significant? Denise

EDIT: that trig chart goes back to March 21, and I’ve been drinking decaf that whole time because I have a tremor and quit the leaded stuff??

(Bob M) #9

If you halved your trigs, you’d be right at a trigs/HDL ratio of 1. That seems to be a good ratio.

Now, the issue is that if your trigs really do rise because of coffee, does it matter? We usually use trigs/HDL as a marker of health, the lower the better. And this marker can be related to carb intake (it’s hard to get a low value if you’re eating a ton of carbs).

But if you were to quit decaf for a while, test your trigs, and your trigs really did drop, does that mean you shouldn’t drink decaf? It’s hard to know, but I doubt that having this value go up solely because you’re drinking decaf coffee is important. But I don’t know.

(Denise) #10

I can list how much carbs I eat and pretty sure they are far from high, usually under 20 in fact, but my last meal that exceeded that was at 35 g. this was logged in March 1, 2024, sorry it’s so small, I had to shink it to fit in my Windows 10 Snipping tool.

latest%20diary

(Bob M) #11

It gives you a goal of 225 grams of carbs a day? Yikes!

(Denise) #12

you mean myfitnesspal?? I messed those up, I didn’t “no way” want that and ignore them for now until I get my setting back to normal. I had to restart everything on there, but obviously, that must be a default for the high-carb low-fat bunch :wink:

(Denise) #13

Hey @ctviggen, Bob, what do you think of these “goals” I put it after you pointed out mine were all messed up :wink: ?

Wow, I don’t even want to post this, and I worked out this a.m. I can’t believe this is all I ate? Way over the top with fat, and not enough protein. I keep thinking I left something out but I didn’t :frowning:

I was full too, or satiated. Wasn’t tired today at all, and those calculators that consider your age, weight, and all that recommend I eat about 1400 calories to gain muscle :woozy_face:

(KM) #14

I hate to be so nitpicky, but I think many of the protein and calorie counts on this app are significantly wrong / low. Tri Tip, for example. If it has 35 grams of protein that’s 140 calories right there, plus 17 grams of fat is an extra 153 calories for a total of nearly 300 calories, not 150. mozzarella cheese is typically about 90-100 per ounce with 8 grams of protein. If our calculations yesterday were right, your scoop of collagen should be about 60 calories - you said 13.5 protein per scoop, this app says 7. Pork sausage is typically around 190 calories for 2 oz. I think your calorie count is still kinda low, but nowhere near as low as this app is telling you.

I know, frustrating!!!

(Denise) #15

Oh my gosh Kim I didn’t even think to check through that I haven’t used mfp for a long time just maybe once or twice a year just to check I am so grateful you took the time to look through those and tell me about the mistakes I truly appreciate it I’ll fix it tomorrow and get a legitimate total for myself so I know how much approximate I’m eating thank you again Kim really can’t thank you enough Denise and I don’t think you’re being nitpicky I think you are thorough :+1::+1::+1::grin:

(KM) #16

I was just realizing how discouraging it would be to try so hard to hit your marks, and then top that off with a lazy program that’s Lying to you!

I’m super impressed with the work you’re putting in. As a small older woman my numbers are quite similar to yours, and I know I should be working to build muscle too, but the only muscles really in shape are my fingers which spend all day sitting here typing! PS lol, my name’s Karen, not Kim. KM is my initials and I don’t seem to be able to change it in the system. (Ok, a lie, I just fixed that part). Kib is for Karen In Bisbee, where I used to live. (Kib1 is because I couldn’t remember my old login from years ago so I created a new user name. I seem to have more aliases than an international spy here. :blush:

(Denise) #17

:joy: okay Karen that’s pretty cool that we have similar numbers even with the age difference I am going to go through that in the morning though when I’m a lot brighter figuring out numbers etc and I’m really glad you’re here because I’ve enjoyed your posts I always learn a lot here this is my go-to for my health I’m not sure where bisbee is but I wish you a good evening since it’s evening here I’ll just assume it might be evening where you are probably see you tomorrow Karen :+1::first_quarter_moon_with_face:

(Marianne) #18

Wow, that is just criminal.