2nd week of Keto... Questions

(Mike W.) #21

Cut back on the water. It flushes all your electrolytes out. Drink to thirst.

(Nick) #22

Ok I will cut back a bit.

Also another question. I found this information on the keto subreddit page:

5000 mg of sodium (salt)](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride)
1000 mg of potassium, in the form of potassium chloride or potassium sulfate
300 mg of magnesium

However I have read another article that says you should get 4700 mg of potassium a day. Why such a difference? I am confused.

Thereā€™s a decent amount of potassium in foods (one whole avocado has more than 1000mg, one cup of spinach has 800mg, salmon has a lotā€¦). So if youā€™re getting lots from your diet you might not need to supplement as much and in any case that might account for the difference in recommendations.

Sounds like the same keto flu symptoms I had; they lasted several weeks. After that I felt great.

(Liz ) #25

Donā€™t forget insulin is a hormone and as such could affect all your others as you adjust to Keto! For example, I had been keto for two months when suddenly all my 30 years of hormonal acne disappeared pretty much completely so this is powerful stuff happening. Itā€™s more than just a diet, itā€™s changing you for the better in many ways. Hang in there and things will normalize again and you will likely feel fantastic :grinning:

Currently in the induction phase ( day 9) and experiencing the induction flu blues. I started off supplementing with 2000 mg of sodium and by day 4 did not give a rip about anything and had no energy. I started upping my sodium and added potassium til I felt like a human being. I am currently at 4000 mg of sodium and around 1300 potassium (using nu salt twice a day for potassium.) I may go higher on the sodium because I still have some brain fog. I find it helpful to do 500 mg of sodium every few hours because of the diuretic effect of the diet. The idea being to continually supplement what I am peeing out. I found it really is the salt and potassium. Just keep going up til you feel better.

(carl) #27

I wouldnā€™t be afraid to get 5g of salt per day. Itā€™s very normal. If thereā€™s not enough salt, your body will literally leech it from your bones. Excess will be spilled by kidneys.

(Nick) #28

Okā€¦ so you guys were right. My libido has returned and I do feel better. Yesterday I had an absurd amount of mental energy. However, not so much today. I get it is not magic. I am happier now that I am feeling better. Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. I have been supplementing my electrolytes. Thanks a lot!