259 Days and 82 lbs

(Laura) #1

Hi hi! :wave::wave:
Nice to meet everyone!
My name is Laura, I’m a 41 year old mom of three living in the Land of Wind and Cowboys.
I’m new to the forum but not to delicious Keto as I’ve been enjoying a ketogenic lifestyle since September 7, 2017.

Last spring, I developed a deep inner desire to make changes in my life. Not just my weight, but that was the big one. At one point, I discovered r/keto on Reddit and spent hours browsing the success stories and learning the basics. By the middle of August 2017, I was ready and decided Sept 7 was going to be The Day.

As of today, it’s been 259 days since I kicked carbs to the curb. Kermit Flail I’ve also burned away 82 lbs and gotten my cholesterol back into the green. (At one point I had a doctor prescribed statins, but I refused them and said I’d prefer to improve it through diet.)

I also have severe sleep apnea and a strong family history of diabetes; I’m hoping to eliminate the first and prevent the second with my improved way of eating.
(In January my A1C was 5.6, normal but from what I know now, High Normal. Makes me curious what it was back in August 2017.)

And…here’s a progress pic.

7ish months of progress

(ANNE ) #2

Super congratulations, amazing body changes both the seen and unseen.
Well done on declining the statins. From what I understand they can make people feel really quite dreadful.
Good job!

(Laura) #3

Thank you!
I had learned a bit about cholesterol not being The Boogieman it had been portrayed as then did some investigation into the side effects of statins and decided it wasn’t for me.
As it is said, “Let medicine be thy food, and food thy medicine.”