24 fasting. What to drink?

(Mindy Rees) #1

This will be my first time doing a 24 hours fast. Wondering what everyone’s go to is to do this?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Water.

(bulkbiker) #3

Coffee with double cream is my crutch when fasting.

Water, Black Coffee or Tea. Ketoade. There’s things people will sneak in that technically break fasts but it keeps them going, only doing 24hrs you shouldn’t have to go that road though.

Water, it’s fasting. But plain tea and black coffee is fine too.

I heard sensitive people need sodium even for such a tiny fast, well, circumstances matter, if you do physical work in the sun in hot weather and drink huge amounts of water, you probably should think about electrolytes.

Cream isn’t fasting to me but do your fasting however you want, of course. I would be afraid cream makes me hungry (small meals always had that effect on me) but a few drops doesn’t do that and most people say they help them for some reason. Individual, again.

(Allie) #6

Depends why you’re fasting?

(Mindy Rees) #7

I am trying to hit ketosis faster. I feel like doing this a couple times a week should help me out. I have read that it is recommended to do so just so my body will do what it needs to do to get and stay kn ketosis.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Eat sub-20 grams of carbs per day and you will remain in ketosis.

(Allie) #9

It’s really not needed just to get into ketosis, that’ll happen in just a few days with carbs as low as possible (below 20g), but if that’s your only reason for fasting, keto coffee (often called bulletproof coffee) or tea may be an option for you.

(Mindy Rees) #10

I do that, but now as I am reading splenda messes with your insulin too lol. I am trying so hard to figure this out.

(Mindy Rees) #11

I drink mct oil every other week…will that help?

(Allie) #12

Ditch that yes.

(Mindy Rees) #13

Dang it!! What would work best for a sweetener?

Artificial sweetener spikes insulin and stalls weight loss for many people. Best bet is water, unsweetened teas, black coffee, but if I am wavering, I sometimes drink coffee with a little heavy cream, which technically breaks fast but works well to get me back on track to keep up fasting. Sucking on salt crystals also curbs hunger for many.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

What’s the point of ‘every other week’? Coconut/MCT is a great saturated fat and worth eating daily.

(Allie) #16

Do you absolutely need one? Some are better than others but none are really your friend, especially if you have any sort of sugar / carb addiction.

(UsedToBeT2D) #17

Water is the best sweetener.

For a little fast, you don’t need a sweetener…
For keto in general… It’s individual. I use whatever I want to sweeten my food as long as I don’t overdo my net carbs but even sweeteners with zero net carbs mess up with some people. Some people find beneficial to avoid sweet things in general and others eat sweets every day in significant amounts. You should figure out what suits you but if you can do it comfortably enough (or it’s uncomfortable but you are sure it would be way better for you), don’t use sweeteners.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Iced tea, coffee w/HWC, sparkling water, and flat water (now that mint is up I add a sprig to the water jug) and if I feel really hungry and have some around bone broth without anything but salt added.

Stevia is easy to find most anywhere. It has an aftertaste that bothers some people (me, among them) but different brands have varying amounts of aftertaste and you can usually find one that works for you. Personally, I like the Sweetleaf brand the best and they make flavored kinds that go great with coffee or unsweetened almond or coconut milk. Splenda also makes an erythritol and stevia sweetener blend if you just prefer the company.

The very best tasting natural sweetener I have found is the Whole Earth brand. It goes great in coffee, Starbucks has it in packets in stores. It’s erythritol with monk fruit and stevia blended. I hear good things about allulose too but haven’t had a chance to try it.

But definitely supplement electrolytes if you are just starting ketosis. The electrolyte dumping is responsible for a lot of the “keto flu” symptoms. I have heard some people recommend the exogenous ketone drink mixes, not because consuming ketones really does much to boost you into ketosis, but because it is basically an electrolyte supplement that is aimed at people beginning keto.