22% of Residents of EU - 15 or older - show higher than normal blood pressure

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

In 2017, high blood pressure was responsible for 10.4 million deaths worldwide, considerably more than other risk factors like smoking, high blood sugar or obesity.

(Robin) #2

I’m kinda surprised it’s not more. I have started paying more attention to how much obesity I see around me…. My old tribe. And if that is the result of our culture’s addiction to crap food, it makes sense.
(I need to remind myself not to be too self-righteous about this. I was part of that crowd a heck of a lot longer than I’ve been keto. And I wasn’t ignorant, just addicted.)

(Polly) #3

Thank you for the link @amwassil

It says that 22% of the people in the EU have high blood pressure but doesn’t share what it regards as high.

When I studied physiology in the 1970s normal blood pressure was 140:90 and that is now regarded as high with 120:70 being regarded as the desirable maximum. We also learnt that we could expect our BP to increase as we aged and our arteries became less elastic.

This change in the definition of high blood pressure enables big pharma to medicalise more people. I have a friend in her sixties who has recently lost 3 stone and her doctor won’t stop the BP medication until her readings get down to 120:70 and stay there. She is so anxious when she goes to the surgery that her BP spikes and the medication keeps being prescribed.

(Jane) #4

It is still her choice. My husband stopped taking his blood pressure medication after a year on keto. His is always higher than mine and not 120/70 but not sky high so his doctor is ok with that.

(Polly) #5

I agree. In her shoes I would not be taking the three medications all of which have their own lovely side effects, but we cannot decide for others so I just listen whilst she lists her discomforts and empathise because she has heard my opinion and discounted it.

on our USA tv is a ‘Cologuard’ test to take for colon cancer. Pre-screen deal.

‘they said’ the normal is 50 plus to start screening but they said that it is now recommended at age 45 this be part of your health plan. They said more cases of earlier onset colon cancer is now an issue so start earlier to be prepared…ugh…

Is this greed for dollars to catch more or is this real truth in what the food supply is doing to us truly? I didn’t check into it all but my mind said WOW on it.

We got the ‘longer living life’ on stats, but are we now gonna ‘go down hill’ on those stats even with massive med drugs to make ya live longer to show those stats vs. quality of life issues?

I don’t know but way scary to me in the future scheme of things.

SO does a higher BP in life become more of a normal and issues change relating to that or ? something to be ‘fixed’ lol or something left to be dealt with later as one gets older and has effects and more drugs to combat the issues? yikes thru it all

Even if us lot have cleaned up our diets to our best ability, we still live in the world where air, water, soil, sound, day and night, are poluted with change, maybe not good for our health. And it might be part of the reason for cancers and other modern deceases.

( ok, that was depressing, but true I think)

agree Shatz but it is what it is…what all use all us humans made it.

(UsedToBeT2D) #9

Yea, the cure may be worse than the disease, I average about 130/75…no meds for me.
Keto (and 50 lbs) cured the high blood pressure meds.

(Jane) #10

Well, you tried.

Some people put too much faith in their doctors. My 87-yo Dad is T2D and wouldn’t listen to me to suggest his cutting the carbs out of his diet, but when his doctor suggested it suddenly it was HIS idea and he was telling ME about carbs! I just agreed and listened and glad his doctor was up-to-date and he listened to him.

Polly, I have that same problem. My BP often goes high whenever a medical professional takes it. :roll_eyes: So I purchased a BP cuff and took my blood pressure several times a day for a week, and then after that just twice a day for another couple of weeks. I wrote the readings down by date and time and brought them in to my doctor at the next visit to show my BP is usually around 120/80, give or take.

(UsedToBeT2D) #12

Mine is always higher at the doc office too. They called it white coat effect, or something. Definitely better to do yourself, and not base a drug on a spot reading.

(Jane) #13

And sometimes they just screw up the reading. I have NEVER EVER had high blood pressure, even when I was fat.

Two years ago my blood pressure was high at my annual physical. I don’t have anxiety over doctor visits so never had the “white coat effect”. Since I had no history they were going to “watch it”.

The next day was my annual ob-gyn well woman visit. Blood pressure low-to-normal. I think they just misread it since not using a digital cuff.

My BP has been so low in the past that the automated cuffs couldn’t read it and had to pressure up again.

One time I was donating my O-neg blood for a kid having heart surgery from my son’s daycare. My blood pressure was too low and they were hesitant to take it. I told them “give me a minute” and I got up, paced up and down the hall and thought of every boss who had ever screwed me over.

IT WORKED!!! :rofl:

Kid got my donation.

Yay, nice story! :smiley:

I always had lowish to normal (not sure) blood pressure myself. I have some healthy level of doctor and hospital phobia (for someone like me, I am sure it’s the best to describe what I have) but I don’t worry about a simple check and even with a little elevation it always was normal. When I tried to measure it myself, I got 105 a few times (always the same, what. but my body likes pretend it’s a living robot or something, certain things almost never change) and usually “error”. I don’t worry if it gets too high in the near future. And it doesn’t matter if I almost faint or explode, it’s always low. I don’t know how my body works but maybe one can mess up measuring these at home…?

Yeah, my doctor takes mine manually with a stethoscope and a watch, because as soon as that cuff goes around me, I completely freak out.

I have low blood pressure, but my readings look normal-to-high because I get myself so tense. Here it’s called ‘white coat syndrome’.

Taking readings at home is a fantastic idea if you suffer from it, because it’s a known issue so your doctor will - hopefully - take you seriously if you can provide them with reassuring data.

(Kirk Wolak) #16

Janie,
It took a long time for me to debug mine. About 1yr, and then the last 6 months.
On top of that, I have tested myself, and can easily shoot my BP + 20 points for a couple
of days, just by eating 6 oz of pepperoni. Or my usual “bag” of precooked bacon.

Also, stevia raises it 3-5 pts/per day (per dose). I hit 180/120 at the highest.
And BP meds. Each one would give me 10pts off. LOL. I was forced to find it.

Finally, I found that the Sauna, and just walking in the sun in FL lowered my bp 10-20pts.

Just in case you hubby wants to go 2-4 weeks without pork, or other things, to see if it comes down… (now I only eat that stuff on RARE occassions.

(Kirk Wolak) #17

I love your quote.

Years ago, I was ALWAYS FRUSTRATE, then I learned (and further developed a similar statement).

Frustration = (Reality - Expectation) * EGO

Where your EGO literally means EITHER your belief you should be able to control it, or that you are clearly right.

So, basically, Frustration is a defect with your expectations, and it’s multiplied by your ego.

Now, I read that, or just think it, and it’s hard to get frustrated… Things are what they are!

And todays world is a great time to reflect on THAT!

Thanks for sharing!

(Jane) #18

That would be a hard sell… between the bacon, pulled pork and homade sausage I make we eat pork several times a week.

He only gets his BP checked once a year at his annual physical so wouldn’t know if pork raised it or not, but since it’s been borderline ok at his physical he stopped worrying about it.

If it gets high enough to consider meds then I will try the no-pork option and see if that has an effect. I bet it will. Thanks for the suggestion.

(Robin) #19

Wow! That’s a rare story. Good for that doctor! And for your dad to listen at his age and make changes!

(Jane) #20

Yeah, I was happy to see him change his diet. It wasn’t so hard for him. He and I were the ones who fought weight gain in the family so we both did Atkins back in the 70’s when I was in high school, so he knew what to do and what he was in for.

I bet I was the only girl in Houston whose Dad did Atkins with her instead of her Mom! :laughing: