18 days on Keto and SO tired

(Andrea) #1

Hi there, I’m new here and new to Keto. I’ve tested for Ketosis for the past 8-9 days (using blood monitor). I’m staying in the 1.7-3.8 range. I’ve noticed since starting my 3rd week that my energy level is low and feeling hungry. I’ve kept my macros consistent on 75%fat 20%protein and 5%carb. Im trusting the process but just would like to know that this is normal and that I don’t need to be doing anything else. I’m exercising 3-5 times a week as well. Thanks for any help!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Hi Andrea. You should start feeling better by now. Are you minding your salt intake? You’ll need much more now that you aren’t eating carbs, it is excreted faster. Check this out:

That’s just one thing to consider. Are you eating enough and when you’re hungry? Are you staying hydrated? How’s your sleep. There are a few reasons you could be so tired. Your body is making big changes and you may not be fat adapted yet. It’s a process that can take weeks to months but most people don’t feel that “first week” terrible if they are checking all the other boxes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Are you consuming enough calories, in other words eating enough to feel satisfied?

(Andrea) #4

I’m usually between 1400 & 1530 calories. Carbs are below 23 fat is 120-130 and protein 80-90. Taking in about 100-120 oz of water a day. I am adding more salt and taking lyte show once a day in water and bouillon cube once a day if I feel like I’m low on salt. I lost about 4.5lbs the first 2 weeks and now I have lost any since. I’m 35, 5’4” and currently weigh 142. I’m looking to lose sugar cravings (which have gotten WAY better since keto) and about 12lbs. I’ve not cheated at all.

If you are hungry eat more food. The scale actually moves more on my hungry days when I eat a buttload of food.

(Cindy) #6

That’s happened to me, too! Feel like I’m a pigster one day, and the scales drop. Go a day or two not feeling very hungry and don’t eat much, and the scales don’t budge. Stupid scales!

@AHenson, I just finished listening to one of the 2ketodudes podcasts that talked about women. I loved that they said our bodies are “smarter.” We’re designed to do more (pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding, etc), so sometimes it takes longer to see the results of keto because there’s a LOT more happening inside than with men. Men, after all, are kind of stupid. :wink: At least in a hormonal sense.

So maybe, while you’re adapting to keto, it’d be a good idea to cut back on exercise for a week or two? Try it and see how it feels. If not that, then yes, you might need to eat more. Forget the macros for a while. What is your body telling you it needs right now? Craving protein? Eat it. Craving veggies? Eat them. Craving fat, eat those too. Just try to get “in tune” with what your smart body is telling you.

(Andrea) #7

I love that. I’ll have to listen to them. Thanks so much!

(Carl Keller) #8

Keto is not about restricting calories, it’s about restricting carbs. If you eat low carb and let your hunger dicate how much protein and fat you should eat, then I promise you will start feeling better in no time. If you feel like crap, you are not doing keto right. :wink:

(Alex) #9

sounds like you’re on the right track. when i started following keto, i too was exercising regularly as well as tracking my macros consistently. within the first month, i also noticed a slight dip in energy. between months 2 and 3, for me, was when my energy came back, ten fold what it was before starting keto. just keep doing what you’re doing and give it more time! this way of eating offers a lot of rewards, but it takes a bit of time before your body and mind can learn how to reap them all. keep calm, keto on, and your energy, as well as so much more, is sure to find you, i promise :smiley: