17 year old daughter treated for PCOS. Amenorrhea 2.5 years - doing Keto

(Grace) #1

Hello. I’m sorry if I’m not in the right place to write my first post.

My daughter is a senior in high school and has ran cross country and track since 9th grade. She even ran both in middle school. She had always had monthly periods, though pretty light, which we attributed to all the training.

Her last period was fall of her sophomore year (almost 2.5yrs). After about 6 months of no period, I took her to the doctor. From the start, the doctor blamed it on the running. We were told her period would return in off season, but it didn’t. Fast forward to now, she’s seen a gynecologist and currently seeing an endocrinologist. She had an u/s that showed no cysts. She does get some acne, a few black hairs on her upper lip and big toes, and has gained 20 pounds since that time. She was rx’d Provera and was able to start her “forced” period three days after the last pill. That was in November. On the 3rd day of her period, she got her hormone levels checked. Outside of her estradiol being low (which the doctor said it’s to be expected since she’s not ovulated/had period in so long), all other hormone levels were normal. Her ferritin, insulin, glucose, and a1C are also normal. The endo put her on Metformin about 6 weeks ago. She started keto a few weeks before that. She has her carbs under 20 per day and tracks her macros.

She hasn’t ran competitively since this past October, and “retired” much to her coach’s dismay from her last year of track. She wants to get her health back and running became so stressful for her, and with her continual weight gain (even while heavy training), and not hitting her times, the coach wasn’t pleased. It was a great deal of stress for her and she would fret before every meet/race.

She loves much of the keto foods, but she’s growing impatient at not seeing any results after 2 months. Her metabolism is so slow. Also, I thought she may have a thyroid issue as she has the hair loss, always cold, slow metabolism, rapid weight gain, and low core body temperature. She has been tracking her BBT for many months now and it ranges from 96.6-97.5. Her TSH, T4, and T3 all are normal. Oh, and she’s also had some cortisol test where she took a pill the night before and had her blood drawn the next morning. It came back very low, but the endo said it was supposed to in lieu of the pill that was taken.

I want to add that about a year ago she did keto for 3 months and was very successful. She lost a little weight and all of her facial acne went away! Her face looked so good and she was happy. She fell off the keto wagon, though, and gained the weight back and even more.

Anyhow, this sweet girl of mine is a puzzle. We are getting her thyroid re-tested in a couple weeks, along with another cortisol test (without the meds). Our hope and prayer is to get her back to having her monthly periods and just being healthy.

Sorry for this mess of a first post. I’m hoping someone has some advice, tips, maybe someone out there has /had the same issue?

TIA!!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Hi there and welcome. First of all I moved your post to the PCOS section of the forum (under Health) because it’s locked from non members and a bit more private.

Secondly, it sounds like she got discouraged at about the time many people get discouraged because they think it’s not working anymore due to that pesky scale. It’s still working and we don’t see drastic weight losses like that first week or two. It slows down. Many folks are using this way of eating for the non scale victories such as clearer skin, feeling better, to correct insulin resistance and a number of other things. It’s not just a weight loss diet although that is a side effect of it for most (just on different timelines and based on different variables).

I can’t speak to the PCOS situation but there are a few members who do have experience with it so hopefully putting it in that category will get those eyes on it. I would encourage her to stick with it and get away from the carbs. Not only has she decreased her activity but she’s taking hormone replacement, both things that can change how her body manages weight.

You are welcome to post what she’s eating when doing keto and we can help take a look at it or encourage her if that’s what she wants. Of course, discuss diet with her docs who are prescribing her medications.

(Carl Keller) #3

Hello and welcome Grace.

Take a look at this thread for inspiration and hope.