100 days of Keto

(Scott Shimabuku) #5

yes, this fast was water/ ketoaid only for first 4 days then bullet proof coffee and bone broth last 2 days. Going to break fast soon.

(Diane) #6

@CandyLindTX

Thanks for the info that adding some fat to the fast when feeling cold might help. Good to know.

(EightyEight) #7

Thank you Candy Lind for reading and responding :pray:
Yes I am meeting my fat macros except on days that aim fasting for 24 hours.
I will definitely look into L-glutamine :pray:
Thank you.

(EightyEight) #8

Wow Amazing!!! Extended fast for 9 days unbelievable :sweat_smile:.
Congratulations! You must be so dedicated and doing great to be able to fast that way. The very thought gives me shivers…
What is ketoaid ?
What do you mean by feasting days? Does it mean no IF?
90% of time I have done 16/8 window and I meat my goal macros for fat and protein.

(Candy Lind) #9

I hope the l-glutamine helps. Is it when you’re fasting that you get cold? Or all the time? How many calories are you consuming?

(EightyEight) #10

What does a fast mean ? Not eating … So eating fat will break the fast.
Is it not ?
Kindly educate me . On what fasting is and what amount of eating on extended fasting is still considered fasting :pray:

(Candy Lind) #11

It is a little early maybe for you to get into a big fasting discussion, but here are the basics:

A fast can be many things. We talk mainly about two different kinds, “IF” or intermittent fasting (under 24 hours), and “EF” or extended fasting (over 24 hours). You will also hear the terms “water fast,” “fat fast” and a few others. A water fast is just that - very little besides water (we usually add electrolytes because you still have to keep those in balance) and maybe some supplements. The idea of a fat fast, since that came up, is that you can ingest some fat during your fast in order to relieve cold extremeties or a serious bout of hunger (one you can’t seem to ignore). The fat causes very little insulin release and does not interfere with autophagy (see below), and you are able to continue the fast.

The main benefit of IF is driving your blood glucose (and thus insulin) level down so you can release fat stores. Insulin is like the Berlin Wall - it has to come down to free the fat trapped behind it. Decreasing your “eating window” to 8, 6, or even 4 hours (ie., no food after 8 PM and not breaking your fast til noon is a 16:8 IF) can reduce your insulin level (the height of the wall) so that some of the fat can crawl over, escape, and be used for energy. The more you can drive down your insulin level, the more access you have to your fat. But even EF might not do enough for your insulin level to really help.

@richard talks about his efforts to keep insulin down in THIS POST. He is highly insulin resistant and only fasting 2 days or more brings his insulin down to a level where he can freely access fat stores.

EF has more benefits than just lowering insulin levels - the body has a self-reconstruction process called autophagy, where old worn-out cells are broken down and consumed for energy, and new ones are built to replace them. EF kicks that process into high gear. When you are fat-adapted, you can go a long time on your fat stores and you will lose that weight, plus your body is performing reconstruction projects on anything that’s broken (for example, a fatty liver).

To learn more about the different methods of fasting, check out the fasting subforum HERE.

Keto-aide is a home-made electrolyte mix that is cheap to make and keeps your electrolytes in balance. That link is to @Brenda’s recipe.

NOW - how many calories are you eating daily? I really want to know! :smiling_imp:

(Diane) #12

@CandyLindTX

Great summarization of fasting info!

(EightyEight) #13

Thank you so much for all the information :pray:

This is what I am trying to follow now. I have stopped logging info on the app but kind of pretty good with my estimates because I had been religiously measuring and logging until recently :slight_smile:

(Mandi) #14

Wow, what a terrific response!

The best!

(Candy Lind) #16

“I am freezing cold all the time… ( during juicing it was mostly while drinking refrigerated juice) I usally feel cold most times but since keto its a constantly cold feeling… I am wearing a sweater at home even when temp are 60 . I am having to extra layers myself while going out.”
I have been the same way, but as my metabolism becomes less deranged, it’s been better. I still wonder if you need to be eating more calories. Is this a common problem among those with PCOD? You might want to research that. Keto may help that metabolic derangement as it repairs your other problems. If so, the “more calories” might not help.

“In spite of consuming 80% of calories through fats (oils) my skin esp palms/ feet continue to be scaly dry.”
I’m not sure about this except to ask others to chime in about supplements that might help. I use a LOT of coconut oil topically - maybe this will help you, too?

“I start feeling hungry after a bowel movement”
What we traditionally think of as “feeling hungry” is often actually thirst. The rumblings of our guts are not hunger pangs, they are the movement of gas or other substances through the system. I think your hunger is more conditioned mental response than anything, but try drinking a big glass of water. That’s what I do whenever I “feel hungry” and most of the time it goes away in a few minutes.

“I am unable to continue my IF esp when they are empty.”
Meaning your bowels? Try the water. Maybe you are just not ready to go as long without eating as you are trying to do.

“I am unable to do IF if I have slept only 4/5 hours previous night.”
“I am most doing IF 16/8 and on exceptionso min 14/10 ( once a week)”
“I have done IF for a maximum of 24 hours.”
“By IF I mean only water ( no tea / black coffee)”
Lack of sleep always affects me that way, too. In fact, last night was a short one for me and I’m about to break my fast early - but I will still try to keep my eating window to 6 hours (which sets me up nicely for a planned brunch with a couple of friends tomorrow morning! YAY!). You might, if you really want to try to keep doing IF, doing fat in a morning coffee or tea. It may power you through to your eating window without a significant hit on your insulin.

“Feeling hungry, urge to eat etc … Is still a mind thing.”
That is NOT uncommon! We’ve all been taught to “graze” for so long, that not eating on a very regular basis doesn’t feel right. I’m 7 months into keto and still use the clock for eating too often.

It sounds to me like you are doing a lot of the right things for your N=1, but you might still need more calories. I think I would just shake things up occasionally - don’t eat when you’re not hungry and if you fall below that calorie range one day, then don’t worry about allowing a feast day when your body asks for one - especially if you are planning a fast. Those fluctuations will keep your body guessing. And above all …

:innocent: KCKO! :muscle:

(Candy Lind) #17

Gee, thanks, ladies - I soaked it all up on these forums. I guess I’m good at regurgitating! :rofl::innocent:

An active learner!

(Diane) #19

I looked back through the posts and didn’t quickly see whether you’re supplementing with salt while fasting. I would add, when hungry, put some salt on your tongue (I use pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt), let it dissolve and then take a big drink of water.

If this was already addressed, sorry!

:stuck_out_tongue:

(EightyEight) #20

Sending you a virtual hug :hugs:
Thank you so much :pray:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

L-Glut is an old school trick for sugar cravings. I think it’s 500 mg 3-4 times a day or sthing.

Google it (I’m the guy that mentioned it… was popular on alt.support.diet.lowcarb before that turned into an unsearchable spamfest which was back when usenet was a thing… I dunno why it’s not more common knowledge now, but whatever).

Here’s the link I linked:

(Renee Slaughter) #22

True statement. On feast days I aim to go about 1800-2000 calories and as much fat as I can. That way my fast days are easier. I’m finding extended fasting is a little better. I can now make it to 42-48 hours. Looking forward to next weeks Zorn fast.

(Candy Lind) #23

OMG, that’s next week!? Time flies when you’re having fun … I better go do some meal planning.

(Ketomanu) #24

That analogy is AWESOME !!! (only with the caveat that the fat that crawls over and escapes is not being shot at :wink: ) But seriously, I love this comparison (maybe also because I grew up behind that wall and was so relieved when it came finally down). I feel (to add to the analogy) that Metformin is the border patrol that keeps the wall high enough so no one can escape and fat is shoved back into the cells (the cells that are already full).