10 days in Hungary... Time to get back on track

(Mike Glasbrener) #1

I spent 10 days in Hungary and got back to California Monday evening after 21hrs of travel and nearly 44hrs of mostly sleeplessness. Back to work Tuesday… Back to keto diet Tuesday…

The trip was a “all inclusive” trip with my sons water polo team. As such accommodations in Hungary were fairly spartan with very poor wifi since it was in a small town 2 hours outside Budapest. The language barrier outside of Budapest were definitely more challenging as was transportation. Everything was walking. When they were training the meals were fairly balanced between protein and carbs. I would eat the protein and send the carbs to the kids. desert at lunch and dinner. I’d have bite (gotta taste ethnic foods!) and send it to the kids. Once the tourney started lunch and dinner were almost straight carbs. I bailed on them for a very nearby restaurant that had a keto friendly salad for the last couple of dinners. Also, at a small grocery store we frequented a few times I was able to get salami, “prosciutto” and cheese. So meals were I was jammed up I’d supplement afterwards. It was a great experience with my son and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

Now to get back on track. My weight is all over the place with travel stress, lack of keto and jet lag. It will take some time to know how much I really gained. I’m being fat generous in meals (and snacks) presently because I am knocked out of keto for sure! I have massive headaches necause of… Yeah you get it… After Tuesday-Thurs of keto I’ll see if I can do a two day (60hr) fast to get back into ketosis and back on track. We’ll see. I think this one might be a struggle…

Finally, I know it’s all my fault. No one held me down and put food into my mouth. I’m certain if I made it a priority I could have stayed in keto. But that would have been a distraction for all.

(Ren) #2

That sounds like an amazing time out there. That is awesome you were able to experience it with your son!

I like your last part of your post. You reaffirmed that you made a conscious choice. And now back to reality!

(Shelley) #3

I hear ya! I was away for 18 days and I too got kicked out of keto. It’s hard not to beat yourself up about it, and I learned the hard way when I don’t eat that way I pay for it. I really do feel so much better in ketosis . But I will get back on track and get back to feeling better. I have some exogenous keto that I will use to get back on track quicker and I plan on doing an extended fast to put things back on track.

(Gibby) #4

Ok- so you got knocked out of keto. Still, give yourself credit where it is due. It sounds like you still made some wise choices & genuine effort-- and I bet your pancreas was less taxed b/c of it. Now you have a plan on how to get back to feeling good & back on track. You’ve got this!!

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

I’m not really beating myself up. I’m totally okay with the choices I made and managed ok when the meals were disastrous. At the end of the day I own it. It’s my body and I’ll fix it.

The trip to back on track will require a little focus that’s all. Since I was doing so well before I expect that experience will bode well for fixing this. I’ll post an update in a week or so.

Lastly, I don’t have a Keto meter. But my body is telling me through hunger, water weight and feeling crappy I’m out of Ketosis.

(Shelley) #6

When I was talking about beating yourself up - I was talking about me. I gave into temptation on some things and then paid the price when I didn’t feel as good after being kicked out of a ketosis state. Lesson learned. It sounds like you did a great job doing what you could given the choices you had. Travel can be tricky sometimes. Ah well. Back on track.

(Mike Glasbrener) #7

I try not to spend too much time in the rear view mirror or else I’ll lose focus on what’s ahead.

First weight measurement coming back was almost +9lbs and +almost a belt loop. I didn’t give it much credence. Two days later I’m +2lbs… I think that’s not too far off. But I don’t really care as long as I’m back on track, which I am, and my middle son had a blast and a lifetime of good memories.

(Mel Simpson) #8

I know this is old but just want to say th for sharing. I am back home in 3 days after carb unfast in Disneyland. I went hog wild. I am looking forward to getting back on track!!