Am I weird? ๐Ÿ˜‚

(Jane) #21

No way to measure that since the breathylizers will pick up the alcohol you just drank :wink:

(Jane) #22

@amwassil

Do you plan on doing your own experiment any time soon?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

@Janie I have purchased a Ketonix and am awaiting arrival. After I have it I plan to do various testing of several things, including the alcohol test, and will post whatever info I gather.

You are correct that detecting acetone after drinking alcohol is problematic. The Ketonix wonโ€™t do it. But possibly the Levl would. Anyone willing to spring for a Levl? :roll_eyes:

(Jane) #24

Looking forward to your results!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

The hypothesis: Alcohol inhibits ketone production because the liver metabolizes the alcohol in preference to anything else until all the alcohol is used up. During the time the liver is metabolizing alcohol it does not produce new ketones. Since alcohol is used for fuel rather than blood ketones the supply of ketones in the blood are treated as excess and excreted in urine. So we should expect to see a rise in urine ketones above base line while the alcohol is metabolized and until blood ketones start being used for fuel again.

My Urine ketone test experiment:

Tue, Jul 30 Determined Baseline Urine Ketones
19:00 Trace: 5, 0.5

Test Procedure:

• 19:30 Ethanol 1, half shot
  • 20:30 Ethanol 2, half shot
  • 21:00 BAC .17
  • 21:45 Ketones Trace: 5, 0.5
  • 22:00 Ethanol 3, half shot
  • 23:25 Ketones Trace: 5, 0.5
  • 23:30 BAC .16

Wed, Jul 31

• 00:45 Trace: 5, 0.5
  • 00:45 BAC .15
  • 08:00 Ketones Negative: 0, 0.0
  • 08:00 BAC .0

Note: I have established that my urine ketone baseline previously and it has not changed. So last nightโ€™s pre-ethanol measure simply confirmed it. Thus, I did not bother doing multiple tests.

My result does not support my original hypothesis that urine ketones would rise when the liver started to metabolize ethanol. My urine ketones stayed at baseline. Interestingly, my urine ketones actually went to 0 overnight. I suppose that might be expected given that ketone synthesis was halted during ethanol metabolism and whatever acetoacetate was present in my urine originally was eliminated and not replenished.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

Any discussion specific to my urine experiment should be done in the following new topic, thanks:

(Jane) #27

Interesting.

As long as your BAC was above zero your blood ketones stayed at baseline. So were you metabolizing the alcohol and the ketones just floated around in your blood not being needed?

Then your ketones went to zero the next morning after all the alcohol was out of your system. Some might conclude that the alcohol stopped ketosis - at least temporarily. Iโ€™m sure you were back into ketosis by midday.