WTF! Why am I gaining if I’m not eating carbs

(rosa) #26

wow!! definitely will try. I did increase my fat intake maybe it takes a bit more time for it to kick in

(rosa) #27

what is CICO?

(What The Fast?!) #28

CICO = calories in, calories out

I would track your calories/macros for a few days (if you’re not already) to see what your real percentages are. A lot of times people are eating more protein (or more carbs) than they think.

Yes. In part I think this is why too many have unrealistic expectations about fast weight loss with keto. That coupled with ample reports of those lucky people who have lost great deals of weight quickly.

Keto is beneficial way of eating for so many reasons, but we are each individuals who have to work out our own puzzle. Some fall right into their solution right out the gate. Others take longer for a great many reasons.

The problem is when people talk in absolutes, and make claims, giving instructions and announcing ‘This WILL work’ ‘For EVERYONE’.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The tragedy is that it happens on the furthest edge of both sides of nearly every disagreement.

(Hoteski) #31

Is it that time of the month or due to be that time of the month ? I can easily put on 4-6lp in the week leading up to the time of periods. It will stay there and then day after it stops the weight goes as quickly as it came on… just like that … over night. Just a thought … It’s usually the first thing I think off when women complain on putting several pounds on overnight.

(Linda ) #32

I’m going to say that I’ve been looking at sources on Leptin. Leptin turns on / off the “I’m starved, so let’s conserve glucose” mechanism–save glucose, don’t expend glycogen stores, don’t lose fat.

Eating enough fat and calories would keep the leptin switch on and allow for the fat burning of stores. However, as others noted elsewhere, calories do count. I estimate that they start to count after glycogen depletion. I’ve never been comfortable with more than a 250-300 calorie deficit for dieting.

I re-read Lyle McDonalds discussion on Leptin and P-Ratios. Google Keywords: P-ratios lyle mcdonald and read his thoughts on that notion.

For anyone unfamiliar with this science guy, McDonald focuses on relatively quick, short term weight loss for bodybuilding contest preparation. At least one of his publications is for longer term usage. His ideas always revolve around a low calorie / low fat approach. I’ve been skeptical about the notion of re-feeds–they’re not likely a good solution for me. And Cyclical approaches are complicated.

I also poked around in my Bulletproof book on VIP something or other and Leptin. That guy is way down into the science so I felt like that discussion was a rabbit hole.

P-ratios I get, the VIP stuff, was overload. Anyhow, the upshot here is see if the Body Recomposition discussions on P-Ratios are of any help.

Linda

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

@KetoLikeaLady has pretty much answered that one.

Personally, I found for me, Intermittent Fasting and Expended Fasting helped with the fat loss. I now use a lot of avocado oil and coconut oil. For exercise, I had to cut down I was going to the fitness center 5 days a week, walking minimum of 10K steps per day, doing some hiking on the weekends. Once I cut down to 2 days at the fitness center, some occasional video workouts with dumbbells and the walking worked for me too. I use a cheap breathealyzer and I stay in nutritional ketosis pretty much all the time now. Very rarely do i drop out.

And don’t forget the fat It really is your best friend if you use healthy fats, saturated, avocado, coconut, nut oils, and olive oil.

All the best getting yourself sorted out.

(Jay AM) #34

This is one of the biggest problems I see often. People lower carbs and then try eating protein with a side of fat to satiety. It’s fat to satiety, not protein. Keto isn’t a protein free for all. It much harder to hit that “not another bite” point with protein and it doesn’t last as long. We have a good example here now where Carl reduced his protein and upped his fat to break a 1.5 year stall. Of course, calorie restricting always works to lose weight in the short term. We can see that everywhere like the Biggest Loser. But, it has to be maintained or the weight is regained along with the metabolic damage.

(Jay AM) #35

I think Dr. Fung has a different idea of how and when they count.

https://idmprogram.com/first-law-thermodynamics-irrelevant/

(Dan Dan) #36

I Love You All :heart_eyes::heart::two_hearts:

Thank You for Sharing Your Personal n=1 (science in the wild) which I believe is just as valid as any science done in a lab because it accounts for our crazy wild lives :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here are the main principals that I have learned and they are all equally important :thinking:

Control Insulin

Become Fat Adapted

Keep metabolism high (don’t calorie restrict every day)

Mix it up (don’t allow the body to get used to a routine)

Learn how to eat to make it comfortably to your next meal (using all principals)

‘It’s a Life Long Journey’ ( It’s not a race or marathon It takes time for lasting results )

Understand everyone is different (everyone is in a different place on this journey what works for someone else may not work for you right now or have the same results)

IF/EF Keto WOE are tools of Self-Discovery which leads to Self Mastery

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you” :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Dan Dan) #37

(Todd Allen) #38

I have huge respect for the big losers. I think “fortunate” rings truer than “lucky” which diminishes the focus and effort most make to achieve their goals. I recognize some are unfortunate and despite their efforts are still finding success elusive probably due to more challenging health issues. I fall some where in between. I’m certain I could achieve faster progress with greater effort but I’m ok with it taking me several years to make my goals if I can do it by means I’m comfortable sustaining for life.

(KCKO, KCFO) #39

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Teresa Coffman) #40

I’m 54 and I’m afraid I also gained on Keto but once I added intermittent fasting the weight has come off steadily. I also had to stop with the fat bombs and baking tons of keto cookies and other treats.

(rosa) #41

ok, I added more fat to my diet, such as mayonnaise, fat coffee, whole eggs bacon sausage. since Monday. how long before i see my ketosis increase. the highest is been 0.06mmol/L
I making sure no hidden carbs and barely eating any carbs. what could I be doing wrong

(Cheryl Meyers) #42

If you are using your ketones, then you won’t see the increase on your blood meter reading–because they won’t be floating around in the blood. Instead you will be running your body on them, and that is good. Go by how energetic you feel–if you feel good, you are probably doing it right. Don’t chase after high ketone readings.

(Angela) #43

check calories, should be in a deficit, and cut the fat.

(rosa) #44

Cut the Fat? i was told i needed to consume more fat.

(back and doublin' down) #45

Anyone gaining might find comfort in listening to this week’s episode of Keto Woman : Karen Mangiacotti