Workouts during weightloss

exercise

(Eli) #1

I’ve just joined the Gym a few days ago. I haven’t up until now because I wanted to wait until I was close to my goal. I’m about 10kg away now (down almost 30kg so far). I don’t want to gain much muscle atm, waiting until I lose enough to actually see them. Just want to become more fit overall.

So wondering what cardio/weight exercises you guys do\did whilst still losing the weight. I know that exercise doesn’t help that much in losing weight, solely doing it to give myself a little boost and get healthier.

Side note: I’ve been doing OMAD for about 3/4 months now, should I increase my meals to 2 a day since I’m at the gym or still stick to 1.

Thanks!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

I’m 6 months into my journey
I did not start working out until Month 5, when I had roughly 8kg left to lose.

I do NO cardio what so ever - [spoiler]fuck that[/spoiler]
I do a progressive 5x5 strength routine through https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Toning is a bit of a myth, you can strengthen your muscles but they won’t pop through your skin unless you have very low body fat.

My body fat is currently between 18-20%

(Eli) #3

Thanks for the info, Katie! I’ve got pretty much the same story as you, at the five-month mark now and have about the same to go. Just a couple Q’s if you don’t mind.

1. Do you think I should quit the cardio and do strength training only?
  2. Did you get any boost in weight loss when exercising vs not?
  3. Is that pic from the beginning to now or from when you started exercising to now

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

The first pic was at the beginning of my journey, the second pic was yesterday.
The MIDDLE pic in this photo, is when I started working out right on Month 5 and the third pic was 3 weeks later, roughly two weeks ago.

(Eli) #5

OK got it. Great job btw! I hate cardio but thought I had to do it till I got too my ideal weight and THEN start muscle building. I’ve skimmed through that site and seems pretty good, I enjoy weight lifting a lot more then running FOR SURE. I’ll give it a go!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Cardio is for just that, cardiovascular health.
I have been achieving my goals with weight training alone.
I don’t believe I could have achieved my results with only cardio.
Youre welcome :slight_smile:

(John) #7

Says you. :slight_smile: Exercise has always supercharged my weight loss efforts.

I am old and fat so there is not that much I can do, but I do some body-weight exercises and some light lifting with dumbbells: situps, planks, bridges, pushups, bent-over dumbbell rows, upright dumbbell military press, and dumbbells curls, every other day. I try to get in a 2 mile walk 5 days a week. I am trying to get that distance back up to 3 miles, which I used to do regularly a few years ago.

The 2-mile walk at my weight works out to about 300 calories burned, so 1500 per week. May not sound like much but over 1 year that would equate to 78,000 calories which (if the 3500 calories = 1 pound rule is valid) works out to about 22 pounds of weight loss over a year compared to dietary changes alone. Small amounts add up over long periods.

Building muscles through weightlifting = converting fat to muscle, and a pound of muscle is both denser (meaning you look slimmer) and burns more calories at rest than a pound of fat, so having more muscle mass increases your base metabolic rate.

If your goal is weight loss, then weight lifting / muscle building is more effective than cardio based on my personal experience. It’s the increase in resting basal metabolism from the extra muscle mass that makes the difference. It’s working for you all of the time.

(Matthew) #8

I made a 6 week cardiovascular program for my friend who is at high risk type 2 diabetes. Her diet is not Keto, but it’s fairly low carb. Her program is made up of various Fitness blender videos from you tube. I will add a link to one of my favourites below.

I have my own program which is alternating days between Kundalini yoga sessions and the cardiovascular fitness blender sessions. Some days I skip sessions to go outside to run and work on the exercise equipment in parks.

There is zero way I would ever pay to go to a gym. Personal choice, but I have almost always found workouts like these more rewarding in the company of a solitary yours truly. Unless one day I decide to play a team sport again I remain a solitary man (Thanks Neil).

Fitness Blender videos I love and my friend has lost considerable weight practicing these daily and being strict with her diet. What I like about these videos is you don’t need any additional equipment. Just bring your body.

Fat Burning Cardio Workout - 37 Minute Fitness Blender

What's the best exercise for fitness
(Matthew) #9

Congratulations. The results are fantastic!

@ava_ad0re…You look so wonderful.
I am near my weight with 5 lbs more to loose.
It’s a bit rough, cuz to loose at this weight i am, and since my body fat is fairly low, my guess about 23%???
Anyways, i am having some success eating about 1,200 calories, and IF .Is that ok to eat that low of calorie? I’m thinking once I get that 5 pounds off then I can let loose a little bit and have more calories and stay Keto.
Just Started that routine 3 days ago but the 2 weeks prior …eating regular Keto, it seems like it must have been to many calories cause I kept gaining weight. What are your thoughts on this? you look like the trim body that I am going towards.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

Oh thank you :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #12

You may need to start supplementing with fat once your body fat gets too low, it’s what I have to do now considering I only have a few kg to go. Richard’s calculator is fantastic for working these things out, try inputting your digits and see what you come up with. You do need to calculate your BMR first though.

Without knowing your height and current weight, I can’t tell you if that amount is too low, I do not count calories as weight loss is based on insulin/hormone responses.

Are you calculating your macros based on your current weight or are you still eating your macros at your starting weight?

As soon as I became adapted, I dropped all dietary fat from my diet and let my body fat fuel my energy needs.

So you mean you dont eat any fats?
I am 5’7" and I weigh 132 lbs. currently.
I like me at 127 lbs.
Any other thoughts?
I will check out that chart.
I really appreciate your input, thanks so much!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #14

That’s correct, I try and limit my fats to 50g a day.
That’s how much extra calories i need from dietary fat as my body fat is now too low to sustain all of my energy needs.
I reach that 50g by putting drops of coffee in my cream whilst i’m fasting.

Drops of coffee?
Thanks for that. I’m at about 100 grams of fat, maybe that’ the stall.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #16

Hahaha oops, cream in my coffee I mean.

(Carl Keller) #17

I was picturing a mug of cream with a few specks of brown in it. :smiley:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #18

I won’t lie, I have done that before LOL

Amazing! More inspiration towards my 17 mile walk today ! Keto’s the best!