Why so few calories for people reporting their calorie intake?

FWIW I made an effort to up my calories in order to gain muscle & I’m now comfortable at a higher level. It was an effort at first even though I’m generally a good eater but it’s been worth it - I’ve increased my weight set point by about 1.5kg but still dropped my bodyfat %.

(mole person) #34

I lift heavy weights and so far at least my gains keep coming. But, this is a good thought. Maybe as I continue to gain so will my appetite and I’ll hit a natural plateau that I can stay on comfortably.

I was coming off a long neck rehab situation which left my upper body quite scrawny & as I’m in my mid-40s already I really wanted to maximise my gains in any way I could. FWIW I’m 5’4, just under 120lb, 20% bodyfat & have worked my way up to about 1800 or 1900 calories per day (on average). My new set point weight hasn’t changed in the last 2 years but my body really has :slightly_smiling_face: I’m pretty happy where I’m at now.

My macros are the same and I have never been happier. Losing weight, never hungry.
I had the same calorie goal a few years ago before finding Keto and I was ALWAYS hungry, 1300 calories was never enough when I was eating carbs.
Now I get to eat all of the food I love and lose weight. It’s amazing.

(Brian) #37

I guess I’m just lazy. I have no idea how many calories I eat in a day’s time. I suspect it varies a bit.

I normally eat two meals a day, breakfast, and supper, no snacks. That’s just normal.

Thing is, I don’t stop eating before I feel like I want to stop eating. I don’t leave the table hungry. I really do eat a lot less food than I used to but I’m full and satisfied with what I eat. I’m not knowingly restricting quantity at all. I still limit the carbs, though.

My weight has kinda leveled off where it is for now, still a few pounds over where I’d like to be, but I’m figuring that will come in time. I’m not quite as active in the winter time so seeing the weight remain level is really not something that worries me at all. I know that in a couple of months, the gardening and lawn seasons will be happening an I’ll be getting quite a lot of exercise doing outside stuff, and those kinds of activities tend to see my weight dropping. (Been there, done that.) About the only thing I’d like to add is some kind of regular resistance training. Still trying to figure out what would work best for me there. Lots of traveling coming up over the next few months so we’ll have to see how that works out.

(Clara Teixeira) #38

This is one thing that amazes me as well. I work 10-12 hrs a day on my feet lifting up to 75-100lbs regularly and often consume 2000 or more calories a day. Hungry days I easily eat 3,000. I’m a 5’5" 130lbs female. When I see other busy women trying desperately to lose weight on keto but restricting to under 1500 calories, all I see is future damage being done to adrenals and metabolism. My opinion on the matter is not overly popular among other women so I’ve given up trying to convince anyone they should be eating adequate amounts of food to THRIVE and live with abundant energy! :joy:

What are your meat money-saving tips?
(Doug) #39

Dang… :+1: :sunglasses: :heart:

(Clara Teixeira) #40

Would not have been possible before keto. I used to have chronic pain and migraines. I was like an old woman in my 20’s. lol.

(Janelle) #41

Some of us work office jobs and aren’t on their feet all day long lifting heavy weights. I still can’t even figure out how to get in over 2,000 calories per day some days. Which is it - eat more protein, which is a no no or eat more fat, in which case your body isn’t using its own stores?

I think Clara might be a Russian shot putter!

(Clara Teixeira) #43

If you have a sedentary job your tdee will be far lower. I was writing more specifically about busy ladies who are always on the go and then starving or feeling lack of energy while also stalling in weight loss because they are eating so far below their tdee.

(Janelle) #44

The OP is a guy and you have a particular energy expenditure so expecting other women to eat over 2k is why that may not be popular - just saying. I ate more (but keto) this weekend by eating out a number of times and I’m up a couple of pounds so I’ll bring it back down to what my obesity doc and calculator say (which is around 1,600 per day to have a slight deficit). Note, I’m taller, older and heavier than you - which plays a lot into it too.

And I’m really not directing this at you. Stalls and slow losses happen for a lot of reasons.

(Clara Teixeira) #45

Haha close! No I am a meat cutter at a butcher shop. It just so happens to entail lifting a lot but also a lot of fast walking to and from the front of the shop to assist customers. On my days off I work around my small farm. Hauling hay and feed, etc…

(Running from stupidity) #46

That depends…

(Jenny) #47

“work 10-12 hrs a day on my feet lifting up to 75-100lbs regularly and often consume 2000 or more”

but how can you compare yourself to someone like me who sits at a desk for 10 hours a day doing stressful computer work but SITS all day? its not the same. my 2 a days at the gym are my only activities so for me calories matter. i dont have a farm, i have an apartment where if something breaks I call someone lol.

i dont understand why this even confusing lol. i would not expect someone with your job to eat my calorie level. That’s why it’s a little insulting when people here say “WHAT! 1500 CALORIES! STARVATION MODE” (NOT saying you said this…just discussing)…I’ve lost almost 100 pounds. i do have to watch calories. am i keto? yes and always will be :slight_smile: but for me, calories and the amount of food I eat do matter.

i always have this vision, like I’m supposed to tell my body "look body, people on the internet say calories dont Matter so can you please start losing weight based on this information "? I have to do what works for my body to achieve my goals.

(Clara Teixeira) #48

“If you have a sedentary job your tdee will be far lower. I was writing more specifically about busy ladies who are always on the go and then starving or feeling lack of energy while also stalling in weight loss because they are eating so far below their tdee.”

^^^^ This comment that I wrote later should help you. I see the trend of other women being defensive over this subject is continuing. :sunglasses:

(Running from stupidity) #49

People explaining things is just weird and defensive, isn’t it?

(Sharon) #50

I eat twice a day. I usually eat under 1400 calories. Not to starve myself but because that is the right amount for me. I don’t need to eat more.
Since on keto I am just not as hungry anymore and don’t eat as big meals anymore.

(James) #51

What an ideal profession for my type of eating.:money_mouth_face:

(James) #52

I use to track macros obsessively. I don’t anymore though. I ,as well just eat until i’m satisfied. The only reason I know around how much I’m eating on a daily basis is because I became so familiar with food amounts and numbers from counting and weighing previously. I work 12 hour shifts on my feet all day. Then usually train after work 3-5 times a week. So yes, my TDEE in correlation with my activity, LBM and general body statistics will be decently higher in most cases. Especially compared to those who have suffered from metabolic damage.