Why do we gain weight when eating late?

agreed to some effect and I did concede there is natural rhythms at work.

and how is this directly related to weight gain on a perceived basis of eating at night only leads to a weight gain. (as the OP mentioned but yet to get confirmation on that part of it all :))

links on melatonin production and producing weight gain and more on it might entail?

I absolutely get where you are coming from in that I believe ‘all the process of a natural life and rhythm are involved’ in our well being but if we go a bit more narrow on what the OP is saying we are a bit lost until we get more info.

(Jane Srygley) #22

I just used that as an example… but lemme see what I can find…

This is interesting!

Insulin secretion was studied in healthy volunteers at three different levels of glycemia. Plasma glucose was clamped at approximately 5, approximately 8.8 and approximately 12.6 mM for 68 h. Measured were serum insulin concentration and insulin secretion rates (ISR), the latter by deconvolution of plasma C-peptide concentration. Rhythmic patterns of ISR were identified (with a refined first-order Fourier transform) at all three glucose concentrations tested but were most clearly seen at 12.6 mM. ISR and serum insulin concentration changed in a circadian (approximately 24 h) rhythm, increasing from a nadir between midnight and 6 A.M. and reaching a peak between noon and 6 P.M. At 12.6 mM hyperglycemia, the amplitude of the insulin concentration cycles was greater than that of the ISR cycles (+/- 13.0 vs. +/- 8.7%) due to a decrease in insulin clearance (from 1.55 to 0.5 l/min, P < 0.01). Plasma melatonin levels (a marker of light-dark rhythmicity) changed in the opposite direction, i.e., they peaked when ISR bottomed and bottomed when ISR peaked. We concluded that normal human subjects have a circadian rhythm of insulin secretion, which becomes more apparent with rising ISR, and that circadian changes in ISR, rising during the day and falling during the night, may be one explanation for the well-established observation that glucose tolerance and insulin responses to glucose and meals are higher in the morning than at night.

So… insulin peaks between noon and 6pm and then starts to fall… really fascinating…

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8770017

I agree, it is very interesting.

and the correlation that it causes weight gain in humans? and if so, is it every human all the time?

I mean if every single human has this situation, would only a few only gain weight all the time every time they eat at night?

big stretch but the science is great but won’t support the OPs question.
too big of a stretched blanket to give any support for the question at hand. Supporting science more narrow to answer the above and we can follow a trail.

I really do find this stuff fascinating. I love sleuthing it all :slight_smile: