Why do some foods make us feel bad?

I just did some reading up on KerryGold, and am still very happy to purchase it. It appears they are 90% grassfed, and in the winter (and I know just how cold those winters can be) they are fed silage, and some supplementary feed as well, 44 days a year. It is after calving the cows are given their supplementary feed. As to the GMO claim, 3% of a cow’s annual diet may contain GMO. That is, in my opinion, too little an amount to worry about. So, for 312 days KerryGold’s cows eat fresh grass. Furthermore KerryGold’s butter comes from cows grazing on pasture. As according to KerryGold, cream is not churned into butter during the winter, when the cows are being supplemented. As to the forever chemicals in their foil packaging, I think, but I can’t be 100% sure, that they’ve addressed this.

So my take on it is, it’s still a great affordable pastured butter which I continue to eat and enjoy.

Yep exclusion isn’t needed. I think just one thing at a time for a certain period can help identify specific foods that are bad for you.

Have you tried giving up dairy or specific dairy types??

I’ll research raw milk and see if I can find some - would be good for the kids I think.

Also have you tried an extended fast?

Hi Mr_Red_Fox, I’ve given up conventional, that is pasteurised and non pastured cream and cheese, non pastured dairy, and only for the moment drink raw milk from a local grassfed farm and KerryGold Irish salted butter. I am hoping to purchase raw grassfed cheese and cream, otherwise I won’t eat those foods. If you’re thinking of purchasing raw milk it MUST be from a grassfed farm and ideally locally. It must not be intended for pasteurisation. You can imagine if people round about would get sick from the milk the word would get around pretty quickly. As to the raw milk I get, they test it vigorously, and are tested by the council 3 times a month. But even so, only my SO and I drink it, I won’t give it to my kids as they thrive on the pasteurised milk, with no problems. And you just never know. But my SO and I are happy enough to experiment on ourselves how we do with the raw milk. So, I would advice, if you’re going to try it, that you buy it from a local grassfed farm that you can visit, walk or drive to. The farm I get the milk from and the pastured eggs is within walking distance. I just wish she also sold raw cream, butter and cheese, but we can’t have everything I suppose.

As to extended fasting, I just can’t do it, it makes me ill. I need my energy which certainly would be the first thing to go if I attempted extended fasting, my body requires at least my two meals a day and some days more.

Joy is a huge positive for many of us. I don’t really understand why would we need carbs for that (except when we specifically want a carby stuff, see me and fruit) but not everyone prefers their healthy food - or just that.
And it depends on the cake. I don’t really understand why anyone would want inferior cakes with sugar and flour when keto cakes is better from every viewpoint (again, expect when one wants a ton of fruit in it or caramel on top - once I made a good keto caramel though… and while caramel is maybe my top favorite flavor for sweets, I easily lived years without it. but I couldn’t skip fruits for a month so we all have our vice)… If anyone say cake, I always think of my homemade cakes and I never could bake cakes with flour.

Sugar doesn’t have a noticeable negative effect on everyone, by the way. Okay, to some extent. What it does surreptiously after several decades, that’s another thing but amount matter there too.
My brain feels the same after sugar or keto food or nothing. My energy level does similar things… But I do can get sugar poisoning SINCE I tried low-carb. I was fine before. Not as fine as I am on a proper diet now but very, very close.
The human body can handle a lot sometimes, it’s very individual and again, amounts (and quality, type of food even with the same macros) matters a lot. Surely activity too, that can get rid of some more sugar.

If it would be true, the people eating tons of sugar would have nutrition problems. Many don’t have it as they eat plenty of nutritious food as well.
And table sugar is very similar to natural sugar from certain food items, if one would be so harmful, so would be the other. And only ketoers would be healthy (well, most of them surely wouldn’t be, people are very sickly in general, I see it on this forum a lot).
It IS possible to lowers things a bit but not as seriously that one wouldn’t get the nutrition to function pretty well for several decades if their lifestyle and genes are okayish.

Your heavy cream was my banana except I didn’t need much of it on keto :slight_smile: But I missed my vegs and I needed some lovely freedom. Frozen banana worked wonderfully. And it had less carbs than your heavy cream due to the amounts… Of course it’s just one single thing, they can’t be compared so easily. Or at all.

Hi Shinita, I agree not everyone’s affected the same. My SO does just fine on his HC/LF WOE, and eats some sugary things in moderation. But remaining in ketosis appears to be beneficial to me, in addressing my lipoedema, my SO doesn’t have any issues with his health. I do miss the cream, though I do better on raw milk, I also have some raw milk in my coffee which is nice. But I miss the texture of whipped cream, I don’t think I could make that from the raw milk. I don’t mind eating berries, but I think I would prefer to eat them seasonally, and if they were grown locally, as opposed to being shipped from other countries, as when I grew up the berries I would eat were from my parents’ or grandparents’ gardens, from the mountainside, or from the fjords, from local farmers.

(Robin) #26

As for leg cramps, if they are at night, try a large glass of water with magnesium citrate and salt. I get enough salt too, I think… but will suffer from bad foot and leg cramps at night without my concoction.
I agree, dehydration adds to the problem.

I never figured out why I have leg cramps sometimes. yes I eat little magnesium but it’s my life since ages. I never had cramps before keto. Got it regularly on keto without supplements. And almost never get it on carnivore.
I am never dehydrated with the frequency and amount of drinking…

Bad as in guilty? Or bad as in physiologically?

I don’t really feel food guilt anymore persay - more like a realization I might not meet a certain set goal in the timescale I earlier anticipated.

In the same way one might feel guilty for buying something on impulse when you intended to save money that month towards something else.

On keto though, I have learnt to “trust the system” and understand that things will overall still work out. So, not so much guilt anymore.

Feeling bad may also be because you know it will cause a negative/bad physiological effect e.g brain fog, inflammation, insomnia, ibs etc If I make the mistake of eating something very high in Omega 6, I immediately feel a bit “uh-oh” because my inflammation will return if I allow my Omega 6 levels to climb. Even so, it’s not feeling bad persay, it’s more of a “uh-oh - gotta not do that again” kinda feeling.

Hi Robin, I do take Magnesium Citrate, it was in fact you as I remember who reccommended it to me, I got Calm, unflavoured, in powder form. It’s been working brilliantly, but was a bit pricy and though it’s lasted me a good long while (several months) I’ve finally begun to run low. So I thought, rather than rushing to buy more, I’d see if I could get it from food instead, such as organ meats, which are meant to be a great source both of magnesium and selenium. Selenium is apparently important for proper thyroid function. Do you eat any organ meats?

(Eve) #30

Hi Mr red fox, have you thought about the histamine content of the foods which cause bloating? I have a very strong reaction to high histamine - bloating and indigestion pain - even if they are healthy foods

(M) #31

I don’t mean guilty but just a feeling of unwellness I guess. I replaced my walnuts with a few macadamias to see if it helped my bloating and I felt sick. I need the nuts for extra fat on my keto pescatarian diet. It was just a strange combination and I didn’t feel good. I thought the macadamias would have less tannins/phytates that might digest better.

(KM) #32

Thanks. I thought because you referred to the nut thread you might mean guilty. I basically never feel sick no matter what I eat. In one way that makes it easy, I can eat nearly anything, OTOH I have no internal guidance about what to put in my mouth, except to rely on numbers. My favorite way to prepare salmon is to broil it skin side up (that is, skin side toward the broiler) with several pats of butter on top. All melts down into and under the fish and leaves crispy skin … mmmm … as a pescatarian do you not eat butter?

(M) #33

butter was making my digestion and reflux bad. I do like the skin though. I won’t eat fish without skin.

(KM) #34

Oh, :cry:. Glad you can eat the skin though, IMO the very best part!

Some things just don’t agree with some people. Being whole and natural don’t equal good any more than processed necessarily means bad. What you eat as a whole matters more in most cases than any one meal.

(Eve) #36

Yep l agree with that - l ate alot of organic, whole, veg, grown in our allotment, but it wasn’t good for me. I try to stay away from highly processed and chemicalised food, but again, it is just not that black and white.

Hi Eve, I watched a video on youtube where Dr. Paul Saladino talked about the bio-availability of vegetables versus fruits, and he mentioned about the various toxins in vegetables.

Here is the link to the video, I don’t know if the video contains adds, I use adblocker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8u1axLAJII

I myself don’t do well with vegetables, but I do fine with berries/fruits, at least I hope I still do, I haven’t eaten them for a good long while. I shall be picking them come summer and autumn, and then we’ll see.

If you have food sensitivities it can be tricky discovering which foods affect you, but my approach to it (having been exposed to a lot of antibiotics over a long period of time, off them now thankfully) is to try and rebuild my biome and fill it with lovely beneficial bacteria. As we all know antibiotics wipe those good bacteria out. It may be that food sensitivities arise from a biome no longer healthy, but how to cure it is the question, there are many approaches and no straight answer, I always think trying to heal the gut is like searching for the holy grail, but we can’t give up on our biomes, it is my absolute belief that everything, good or bad, stems from the gut.

(Eve) #38

Again, l totally agree with you regarding the biome , never2late. In fact l have just had a comprehensive biome analysis just done which has shown that l am missing 8 valuable friendly bacterial species. So in answer to your question on how to cure it, l have been give prebiotics to take and then have just started to add in specific strains of probiotics. The goal is to

1. Provide the food for the bacteria with the prebiotics
  2. Introduce/reseed , with the missing beneficial strains
  3. Hope that these will then grow and outcompete some other bad strains l have which are causing problems.
  4. Hence rebuilding a healthy biome.
    Thanks for the link,.l will watch it later

(Eve) #39

Many of the chemicals in food also have a negative effect on the biome, hence another reason to stay away from processed and preserved foods as much as possible

Hi Eve, I absolutely agree with you, that is why I only eat non processed, 1-ingredient foods apart from my Aberdeen Angus burgers which are minimally processed as they were obviously pressed into their shapes, and added salt and pepper, my pork chops, pork shoulder joint, pork belly, chicken and fish contain no ingredients, and my pasture eggs, grassfed raw milk are 1-ingredient foods, by my KerryGold grassfed butter will have been minimally processed, and added salt to. I don’t believe in letting perfection be the enemy of good, but I’m quite happy and content with having made these choices. I also feel so much better since I gave up the heavy whipping cream.