Why did you start?

(Simon Hinton) #53

I wanted to lose weight and stumbled across the obesity code by Dr Fung. It made so much sense but I was still resistant to the ideas in there. I was compelled to do more research and came across work by Taubes, teichloz, lustig and you tube videos, and the more i researched the more it made sense. I started listening to the 2 keto dudes podcast and decided to make the jump,

(Susan) #54

Welcome to the forum Simon.

(Marianne) #55

Wow, sounds like you jumped in armed and ready! I had done some research but a lot of it was still a mystery. I was terrified.

(PJ) #56

Taubes’s book (good calories bad calories, or the diet delusion) is so amazing. Very dense, but fascinating. Really makes it clear how we got to where we are today in nutrition science and public health.

(Eric Sporer) #57

None at all? Fascinating. Do you measure your ketone levels?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #58

I did not until about 5-6 months ago when I started using a Ketonix to track BrAce. The problem with it is that BrAce is extremely volatile and variable. So interpreting its ups and downs is quite problematic. I’m not interested in donating blood.

I have ordered and paid for a Lumen RER measuring device. This is designed to measure the ratio of fat/carb burn in real time. If it works as well as I hope it might, I think measuring ketones will become obsolete.

(mole person) #59

This is soooo not a problem. Here are my macros from yesterday. It was a high calorie day. I had a third meal which is a rare and I’m usually closer to 1500-1600 calories (but I’m only 106 lbs) but the ratios are absolutely typical. As you can see, I’m getting 81% of calories from fat on nothing but meat.

(Simon Hinton) #60

Thanks, I’ve only started really recently. I am hoping engaging with people doing the same thing will be helpful. there does seem to be resistance to low carb, keto and fasting from friends and family so hoping this is a nice safe space.

(Simon Hinton) #61

Its just he way I am I think. I did a history degree and it taught me to question the source material and the evidence. I was sceptical at first because it was so counter-intuitive to everything we have been taught over the last 40 odd years, but it seemed to make sense. I wanted to check and confirm with other sources. To be honest the more i have learned and the more i have read it is difficult not to get upset about the lies and the mistakes that have been made in dietary advice, and the pain and suffering it has caused. I am hoping i can help and educate others through the example i set on this way of eating and the results i hopefully get.

(PJ) #62

I really recommend reading Gary Taubes book ‘Good Calories, Bad Calories’ (or ‘The Diet Delusion’ in the UK). I think history buffs would probably appreciate ‘the last century+ of history about the science of nutrition’ (re: fats, salt and carbs) more than most. There is no way to get through it and not feel like one’s eyes have been WIDELY opened.

(Simon Hinton) #63

yep. agree. Maybe they should add it to the school syllabus:smiley:

(linda) #64

My mother had early stage Alzheimers showing symptoms at 50 as well as other mental health concerns. I’m 63 with, thankfully, no serious heath or weight issues- but started 2 years ago after reading Keto Clarity and have found remarkable results.

(Paulene ) #65

@Ilana_Rose You are 50?! No way! You are rocking it! (Unless that photo is an avatar).
I turn 50 in 10 days - hopefully before I flip over to 51 I’ll be half the woman I am now. :grin:

LOL this was me.

I second DaveJ here.

I got fat, tired, sluggy, stopped wanting to ride my horse, not wanting to kayak, ride bikes, hike up mountains. Got winded.

I simply got out of shape and fat and lazy. Food did all that to me.

So I decided older I was getting, I was gonna go into my retirement in fine damn shape. Live life, not slug it on by.

When I went LC into extreme LC into Keto plan a bit and finally into carnivore I thrived. Lost good lbs. Got active, love my outdoor life with camping, kayaking, hiking and more again!!

I didn’t want a sluggy life. So I changed it.

Thank goodness I wanted just that :slight_smile: I am super thankful I woke up from the slug life. I wanted more out of my days than tv and food. I wanted to live life and thrive and I ran for it.

so yea, that got me here :slight_smile:

(mole person) #68

That photo is from my first year on keto, I was 50 then. I’m 52 now. Also, I was still losing weight at that time, maybe I was 115 lbs from an original 133 lbs. But it was the first time I was happy in a bikini for well over a decade so I was pleased as punch with that photo and thought it’d make a decent avatar of what keto can do…lol.

(Paulene ) #69

In comparison to most of your reasons, min3 are pretty shallow.
A girlfriend asked me to be a bridesmaid and I was totally revolted by the idea of trying to look glamorous at 231 lbs. My response to her was underwhelming when I should have been able to express joy and excited.
I’m also travelling through Italy in April and want to be able to walk, talk and breath simultaneously.

I got so fat that my arms would not hang down straight anymore because of fat deposits along my sides. I felt I had to cross them over my belly when sitting down to relax, it became an issue, what to do with my arms? They had no natural position anymore. Then I had enough of that. Started by cutting out added sugar and starch. Never looked back.

(Marianne) #71

You’re still a youngster! Wish I had discovered keto at 50. Enjoy!

(Marianne) #72

Love this post. That was me.

(Anna ) #73

Migraines. I’ve heard keto could help. I also have a slew of other issues that may or may not be related to my migraines. Plus, I’ve been a carboholic all my life, and I just wanted the craving for carbs to stop.