Which Fats Get You Into Ketosis Faster?

science

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #22

But have you ever tried eating, say 80% fat by calorie for comparison?

(Bob M) #23

I started out eating ā€œlow carbā€, then went to eating very high fat after reading Jimmy Mooreā€™s Keto Clarity. So, I added butter to my steak, ate fat bombs, even tried buttered coffee for a while. Ate all high fat meats if I needed something to eat beyond dinner. I donā€™t calorie count, though, so I donā€™t the level of fat.

I then decided to buy a CGM so I could prove Ted Naimanā€™s higher protein theory was wrong. I fully believed I would see skyrocketing blood sugar. After eating many high protein meals (for these, I actually did count calories), and not finding any blood sugar rise whatsoever, I decided I liked higher protein in general than higher fat.

So, in general, I now eat low fat hams and the like and keep these on hand for if Iā€™m hungry past dinner. I do eat higher fat meals, but most times I concentrate on higher protein, especially for the meals right after I exercise.

How does this affect ketones? To be honest, I have thousands of samples over the course of almost 4 years, and Iā€™ve given up trying to guess what my ketones (or blood sugar) will be. One of the reasons is shown below, where I tested using three calibrated ketone meters and in the morning:

After comparing Keto Mojo and Precision Xtra for a month or so, and determining that KM is twice PX in general, and KM has many anomalous readings, I gave up. The tools suck.

As an engineer, I want the tools to tell me whatā€™s going on, and these tools donā€™t do that.

(bulkbiker) #24

Depending on what I eat beef or chicken and fish say my macros vary between 50 and 80% fat anyway. Do you think higher fat helps?

A metabolically healthy person shouldnā€™t see an increase (or decrease) in glucose after a meal. An unhealthy one might. Itā€™s more likely that youā€™d see a higher sustained glucose level with lower ketones, as opposed to a lower GKI. [because ketones offset the brainā€™s demand for glucose] But as you know, tracking low level signals is difficult to near impossible with random sampling and multiple factors affecting them.

It also depends on whether you have room available in muscle glycogen for the combination of insulin and glucagon to provide a sync for the glucose. Or the glucose could be going into fat cells instead given the right context. Either way, looking at blood glucose doesnā€™t tell us where the glucose goes.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #26

Yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to say. For me personally, and according to some other anecdotes Iā€™ve heard, going very high fat can elevate ketones as high or higher than fasting.

(bulkbiker) #27

But why would I want elevated ketones unless Iā€™m fighting cancerā€¦
Iā€™m happily in ketosis all the time anyway on my mainly carnivore eatingā€¦

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Or, as I read it, your manly carnivore eating, lol! :rofl:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #29

Thatā€™s just a choice. Some people feel better in ketosis.