When you are made to feel bad for your diet

What do you do? I’ve been pescatarian for awhile now, and having even eaten meat aside from fish in a long time and I still feel the rest of the world is trying to tell me not to even eat fish. I feel like they are saying eat only rice and beans and tofu. I read things like fish makes your sweat smell bad, I see signs saying “plant based” everywhere. I go online and it says fish and meat have no fiber so they are going to constipate you. How do you deal with it? Does it ever make you feel bad?
What percentage of the world actually is vegetarian ? It feels like 90 percent are from everything on the internet and what I see around me but I know this can’t be true.

(Robin) #2

I stopped caring bout any messages that aren’t coming directly from my own body a long time ago.

(Rebecca ) #3

Me, too!!

Could give half a crap less what others think, and nobody is making me feel bad about something I want to do.

I feel that Vegetarians are by FAR the minority, seems you’re just stuck in those circles and mindset. I wish way more people were vegetarians, then the demand for meat would drop and my ribeyes would be more affordable.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

While the notion that flesh and the body are gross and unspiritual goes back at least to classical antiquity, the modern vegetarian/vegan movement traces back to the writings of Ellen G. White, prophetess of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, who believed that eating meat promoted “fleshy lusts.” John Harvey Kellogg was one of her followers; he absorbed a lot of her ideas as a young teen, when he served as the typesetter and proof-reader of her writings. He invented breakfast cereal under her influence, as an alternative to eggs and bacon and steak. To this day, the breakfast food industry in Australia is wholly owned by the Adventist Church.

The result is that there is a moral fervor underlying veganism that is hard to counteract. Yet the ostensibly moral issue of not wanting to take a life in order to eat neglects to consider all the many lives sacrificed when a field is ploughed, and all that nonsense about sweat smelling bad and so forth is nothing more than a red herring.

Around the time I was starting to learn about the ketogenic diet, YouTube recommended a video by some famous vegan lecturer, who actually claimed that eating beef causes diabetes. That was when I knew there wasn’t going to be anything worth listening to in that lecture, lol!

Just curious. How old are you? I second @lfod14. Pay no heed to ignorant naysayers.

(Alec) #7

Have extreme confidence that this diet is based on science. It fixes an illness (that is what it is) of insulin resistance that causes many chronic diseases. 60% or more of the population is suffering from insulin resistance (many not being aware), so this is no minority issue. This issue is massive, and the pandemic of type 2 diabetes is just the tip of the iceberg.

Why does the conventional wisdom not understand this? The medical establishment is stuck in very old thinking driven by the fear of saturated fat and cholesterol being the cause of heart disease.

This is just plain wrong, and the medical establishment is currently stuck because it cannot admit it is wrong. Lawyers would be getting very interested if they did. So they are stuck saying the same old discredited crap, because the alternative is too hideous for them to imagine. The problem is that they are not understanding the health consequences of their choices. They are closing their ears and eyes to the science because they just don’t want to accept the consequences of accepting it… they are responsible for millions of premature deaths.

Whenever I read or hear some vegan or vegetarian driven opinion I am always keen to understand the science behind whatever they are claiming or talking about. Very rarely do I find anything that stacks up. Most of it is based on flawed epidemiology based on food intake questionnaires: very very dodgy “science” that frankly does not hold up to rigorous scientific scrutiny.

Have faith that this way of eating is based on the real science. There are many many studies referenced in the “Show me the Science” section of these forums that prove this.

One key point that is just not repeated enough: vegan diets are not complete in the strict sense of the word. If you are vegan you HAVE to take supplements to take in all the nutrients that you require. If you do not, you will get sick. And another one: meat and animal organs are the most nutrient dense foods on the planet… WAY more nutritious than vegetable “superfoods”. How often do you hear these things in the mainstream media? Never… they have been indoctrinated by the vegan and vegetarian PR machine.

Don’t get sucked into the vegan and vegetarian biased thinking. It is often hopelessly biased by other non-scientific biases: animal welfare, environmentalism, or religious beliefs. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking these views are based on science.

What a horrible word. I felt the backslash when I was a vegetarian :smiley: I ignored it, of course but I was a freak to people.
They never commented my very high fat intake, at least :smiley:

Ignore them all :slight_smile: Okay, it’s probably not to easy to do but it’s a good advice in so many areas. If you are sure you do the right thing, do it even if everyone is against you. Well maybe find people who are similar, maybe with more experience too if you need that.

Never experienced that buty I don’t eat much fish. I always read eggs make you fart smelly. Well as I don’t ever notice I would fart without much carbs, I can’t tell what the non-existing farts would be like :smiley: (I am sure something leaves me occasionally but it’s probhably in tiny silent and not particularly smelly doses. or I fart while sleeping, who knows? :smiley: I definitely don’t notice.)

Maybe under certain circumstances? High-carb no fiber diet, maybe? Interesting combo…
Fiber ISN’T necessarily. I am never constipaded on any woe including my current zero fiber default one. Okay, I go on and off but ask carnivores if they miss fiber :wink: And apparently (my example) you don’t need to stick to zerocarb all the time to be fine with almost zero fiber…
Some people may need more fiber, I don’t say they don’t but it’s not a rule and your actual diet matters a lot. Carnivore is a good example, zero fiber and vitamin C from fresh meat only is enough, at least in many cases, I don’t know if some people need some (more). I never care about these and never had problems.

No, it’s FUN to shock people and smile while they think you are an idiot :smiley:
Okay, it’s hypothetical. No one gets upset. No one bats an eye when I talk about my woe and trust me, I say things honestly because why wouldn’t I say that fruit has too much sugar and it’s not healthy for me to a fruit seller? I totally did it. (Normally I don’t but he said something I disagreed with :D) Or that I avoid vegs? :smiley:
(But if I don’t eat meat, I am a freak. And we have tons of vegetarians and vegans here and nowadays even special vegan items but it doesn’t mean they are accepted.)
But I am a hermit so no one knows about me anyway. Sigh. It’s a pity I couldn’t get your problematic persons, I would tell them my opinion :slight_smile: And my food choices. And they would look at you and see a very, very normal person compared to me…

No idea but it’s surely not 90% even in India and vegetarianism is big there…
Most people love meat and eat “normal” so much meat, much fat, much sugar, much carbs. Joy is important for them, not health and while I don’t sacrifice joy either, I am smart enough to know that damaging my own body isn’t very joyful longer term (but there may be problems short term too but people don’t care about it, it’s insane.
It’s hard to get (especially good) vegetarian food at many places though I didn’t check since long… And it’s Hungary anyway… I was pretty much doomed as a vegetarian at most places but valiantly fought. My own aunt couldn’t handle it. Now if I go for a 2 days visit and eat carnivore there, she has no problem.

Of course families, people, countries are very different. I would be stubborn everywhere, I am a too big hedonist to care about others when it’s my own business, life, health and well-being.

There would be less cattle then, it would become more exotic and the prices would go up I suppose… Well it depends on how many people would be vegetarian, of course. Too many and meat would be a luxury… At least some cuts…

(Tim Cee) #10

Fish are NOT friends!

Unless it is a parent, spouse or child, why do they care? It is simply not my business what my next door neighbors eat! The only exception is if we are going to someone’s house and even then they rarely ask what I am eating these days and I usually manage to find something I can eat. I still fondly remember a couple of hosts who went out of their way to ask what I am eating so they could provide it!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

If it’s someone you don’t know, like online, television, etc., ignore it. It’s propaganda and advertising. Advertising is necessary to sell things that aren’t necessary. Ads are designed to create a fear and then provide the solution. If, as you say, you’re feeling bad about eating meat, then the fear is working. There’s a ton of money to be made by selling highly processed plant products to convenient idiots. You are not an idiot.

If it’s someone you do know, just smile at them mysteriously and say, “Tell you what, meet me back here in a year. Whoever’s in better shape wins.” Because you know you’re right and you’re playing the long game. You don’t need to win this argument today, you’ve got all the chips on your side. You don’t need anyone’s permission or approval to be smart, strong, and awesome. Not today.

Never argue, it’s not a teachable moment. Frankly, most moments aren’t teachable moments. The only time I say anything about carnivore anymore is when someone inquires honestly and directly. Arguing is like pushing a wet noodle. Noodles are carbs. Social approval is the biggest scam on the planet, don’t wait for the masses to tell you it’s okay to do what you know is right. There were MANY times in history when the minority was right…and won.

You got this.

(Allie) #13

You’re obviously reading the wrong info. If you surround yourself by vegan propaganda you can’t expect to be surrounded by something other than it. I see none of it and don’t go looking either. What works for me and my body works for me and my body.

What Allie said! THAT!

Maybe I’m the exception but I’ve been a vegetarian for years and couldn’t care less what other people choose to eat. Do what’s right for you and enjoy your food!

Even if 99% were vegans: I don’t care!

Why should you care? Try a diet that you enjoy and keep an eye on your health to see if the diet is ok for you. Do blood tests. If your chosen diet isn’t making your health worse, then that’s all you need to know.

I don’t tell anyone how to eat and I don’t discuss my diet with people. I’m discreet about it, also because I dislike preaching. We can’t know for sure a diet will be good for an individual. All we can do is try to find out if our particular diet of choice is good for us.

If it isn’t, tweak it untill you can adapt it to something that makes you healthier.