What should non diabetic blood glucose levels look like while in keto?

I know the post meal (two hours) level should be below 140 for normal people and that fasting (after 8 hours) should be below 100.

Is it different for keto?

Also, what about three or four hours after eating? If one’s blood sugar was 112 four hours after eating but 86 the next morning (fasting), are they pre diabetic? Or normal?

I have read that between 70 and 140 is normal for any time of day except fasting. But I have also read that four hours after a meal it should be below 100 or one is pre diabetic or diabetic.

Can anyone clarify please?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

Mine is 94. got results yesterday

(Jen ) #3

The best way to diagnose prediabetes or diabetes is a Hemoglobin A1C. This test is a blood test from your doctor and it measures the average blood sugar for the past three months.

Alternatively you can take a glucose tolerance test where you go in fasting and have your blood drawn, chug a nasty sugar filled drink, and wait 2 hours to have your blood drawn again to see how your body processes the sugar drink.

Both need to be ordered by a doc but will let you know what your status is. Most docs use the HgbA1C instead of the glucose tolerance test. It’s easier and doesn’t require sitting around for 2 hours.

How high BG rises after a meal is a function of what kind and how much food was consumed. If you’re eating a HFLC meal, BG may not rise very much. Insulin sensitivity is characterized by BG rapidly returning to its basal level within a few hours. In contrast, someone who is insulin resistant will still have elevated BG many hours later. For example, after a meal my BG may rise from 65 to 95. And 6 hours later may still be 90. I’m not diabetic but I am insulin resistant. For non diabetics on a LC diet, time rather than absolute level is more important.

It seems like a ketogenic diet may make one have chronically pre diabetic fasting blood sugar and full blown diabetes diagnosis if one took a glucose tolerance test. This may be reversible if one gets off the diet. I have no idea what this means but it is very disturbing.

So diabetic or not, ketogenic blood sugar levels are diabetic or pre diabetic.

I am VERY perplexed. It is being discussed in my other thread:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/does-a-healthy-ketogenic-diet-cause-irreversible-insulin-resistance/23257/13

So what are we looking at here? A non diabetic enters ketosis, their insulin resistance, if they had any, goes down, they become more insulin sensitive and their blood sugar levels get lower. Then their insulin resistance goes up, and they become less insulin sensitive, and their blood sugar goes up to pre diabetic at all times and diabetic with enough glucose in a meal?

So should we all quit keto like ASAP? Should we still be on the diet from time to time to lower blood sugar? This is nuts.