What’s your motivation?

(Marianne) #8

That was my motivation. I was eighty pounds overweight and felt gutted by my appearance. I was ashamed for my husband to be seen with me (he has always been fit and slim). That feeling was with me every second of every day. Talk about depressing, notwithstanding all the physical ailments I had (aches/pains, hbp, high blood sugar, a-fib, fatty liver, etc.). To compound the depression, I had lost all hope of ever being able to lose it, let alone keep it off.

I don’t often “pray,” or appeal to God, however, before starting, I prayed earnestly for God to show me a way; I really did. Within days, I was surfing Yahoo news, as I always do, and a success story was featured as one of the articles. I think they may have mentioned dietdoctor.com. I read the story and then went to the website and read each of those stories 2-3 times over. I knew most of these people were bona fide food addicts, and that this actually worked for them - and that it wasn’t difficult. For the first time, I believed in this solution and that I could do it. Within days of that, I found this forum. I lurked for a couple of weeks here before starting but then set a start date and jumped in. Other than following my macros (in the beginning), I didn’t have much more of a clue about anything or what I was doing, but people here explained things and helped me. I truly consider finding keto to be a direct result of divine intervention and my personal miracle.

(Allie) #9

I don’t have motivation anymore really, it’s just my normal way of living :woman_shrugging:

(Robin) #10

So, really… Normality is now your motivation. That alone is enough!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Avoiding Type II diabetes was my primary motivation, here. I am attached to my fingers and toes, and have no desire to part with them!

I did effortlessly lose some weight, as well, which was a great added bonus.

@PaulL

Paul did you see the new news report on a ‘cure’ for Type 1 they put out this morning?

from stem cells injecting new pancreatic cells in and it ‘fixing’ the Type 1 people off big crash death issues and not having to take insulin daily

but side issues, have to be on immune suppression drugs for life too so ‘not that great cure’ they are sayin over it all…haven’t had time to any info on it, just a news story I saw this morning and thought, darn I have to check into that

touting it as a ‘cure for Type 1’ out there now…find it interesting tho

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Haven’t seen that. Though I don’t like the idea of staying on immunosuppressive drugs, the production of insulin in the pancreas has a lot of benefits that one doesn’t get from administering insulin by injection.

Diabetes Type I is a very different disease from Type II, and they probably should not have been given the same name. But the focus was on glucose, naturally, since at that point, insulin hadn’t even been discovered, yet.

oh yea they sure put out why type 1 and ‘a cure’ against insulin and a normalized blood sugar and more is super important to a type 1, etc…I didn’t ‘get to hear a ton’ cause I caught it in mid stream but I have to go out and research more on it.

I just hate that word ‘cure’ ya know. but advances are happening.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Well, to me, a cure would be finding out why the immune system decided to attack the pancreas, and fixing that, but that’s just me.

Originally it was fat-loss. It never happened but I saw this is a nice direction :slight_smile: In the very beginning when I went to low-carb, I wanted to lose fat (and I did then) BUT if I already started to focus on my woe more and read various things about styles that seemed okay for me, I realized it’s time to start my big journey towards my ideal, sweet spot woe! I keep improving in average, I have worse days but no way I could go backwards longer term.
So it’s mostly health and well-being but losing fat is kinda important too, I just never was in a big hurry. I never was obese, maybe borderline and I did want to lose fat more then. And now when I kinda had enough of my 8 years stall (and sometimes gain but I am bad at gaining just like I am bad at losing. I am awesome at stalling while overweight).

My first priority is still health and I have some tiny hope than maybe one day I will have some normal amount of energy instead of my usual low and rare extreme low. I already had better moments, maybe…

And well, fun and joy, always. I am a hedonist so that’s very, very important. I want to be a near perfect hedonist, eating whatever gives me the biggest joy. And food that my body doesn’t like clearly not like that. But as my best food is the tastiest at the same time, I only need to train myself out of wanting the tasty, not good food :slight_smile: It’s not as easy or hard as it may seem, it’s complicated. But practice makes better :smiley:

I can relate to what @Shortstuff wrote too. I never did food things out of motivation, actually. I never could sacrifice things as I don’t do something out of motivation. I do it out of joy or curiosity or yep, because it’s how I live and I can’t just change it (apart from having off days here and there). I don’t keep myself on keto or on carnivore-ish, I just… Can’t eat differently, only temporarily and that feels off and I inevitably come back to feel right.
Even in the beginning, it was okay while lasted, never had to find some motivation to do it as it wasn’t bad and wasn’t hard apart from missing my vegs too much sometimes.

Oh and I think it’s motivation that I am better mentally on extreme low-carb. It’s only regarding food, I don’t feel different otherwise. Carbs mess with my mind somehow and I am hungrier, I want sweets etc. (And if I eat sweets, nothing gets better. Not hedonistic at all :frowning: ) Compulsive eating emerges, I lose my perfect satiation and satisfaction… Nope.
But I don’t get much from these negative carby side effect on OMAD so that’s a good way to mitigate the problems quite seriously. So I have anti-motivation to stay on track all the time. Still, I know it’s important for my health to stay very low-carb most of the time. And I would do even sacrifices for health, I just don’t need to do it (or I don’t know about that), lucky.

I really, really like my food. I can’t always eat enough eggs and meat and fat, it would be very bad to lower their amount due to stupid carbs! :smiley: Or not lowering anything just starting to overeat massively again… I hate that.

So I have motivation but I don’t really have urges to raise carbs so motivation or not, I do keto most of the time anyway as it’s the easiest and best.

I wrote joy and fun. It’s not just the joy of eating. I am curious and love experiments :smiley: They help a lot. (But everything is an experiment. Eating a ton of sugar is an accidental experiment to me… But all my planned ones are strict :slight_smile: It’s fun! Of course I choose my rules well as I don’t resist temptation. But well planned experiments help with avoiding temptation.)

Maybe it was too complicated but me and food is complicated from some viewpoint. From others it’s simple. I just eat whatever I consider right or whatever I fancy or whatever I am compelled to (the latter is always stronger). Okay, it’s not simple.

This forum kinda motivates me too…? Whenever I read about people eating right and enjoying it, I feel more tempted to do the same. I follow my own desires but they aren’t completely unrelated to everything that isn’t me. So the forum helps a bit. Maybe motivation isn’t the right word for this.

Cognitive function. My ability to focus on academics has skyrocketed on keto and I wouldn’t give that up for anything.

(Robin) #18

Yes!!! I experienced severe brain fog with meds I was on after breast cancer surgery etc. I felt like I was deep diving into Alzheimer’s. I told my doc I was choosing brain over boobs. Easy choice. Soon to hit that magic 5 year mark and no recurrence. And NO regrets. A sharp mind is number one in my book. I can work on all the rest.

(Robin) #19

UPDATING MY MOTIVATION. While making a list of folks to notify of my change of address…I realized I finally weigh what it says on my drivers license! LOL

(Traci Simpson) #20

For me I had been on phentermine for 4 years and when I stopped I started gaining weight, and coworkers were bringing in treats and I ate all of it. I started feeling very badly. Lethargic, tired, depressed and needed to do something. I came from a fitness background and was paleo for several months in the past, had my own garden etc., so I thought I just need to reset, so I started going back on primal blueprint to get motivated again and came across low carb. I’ve cured my chronic trigger finger, increased my energy, mood and well being. Last year after going carnivore I fixed my high blood pressure and discontinued my BP meds.

(Jamie Brown --Carnivore Revolution) #21

Firstly my main motivation was losing weight. No surprises there, however I realised that through keto my depression and anxiety went away. Now I’m on carnivore and have never been better honestly, my motivation now is to help others realise this WOE. No other ‘diet’ worked.

(Robin) #22

Get it, girl! I was a FenFen user back in the day. It was like my high school years of taking speed…loved it, all energy, no sleep, no eat, much partying. Then found out part of it caused heart attacks. To show how ridiculous we can be about our weight, I would have kept on talking it if I could.

(Kathy) #23

My Motivation, to take action and stay with it and see results.

My new, now old Dr’s exact words : Has anyone every told you your are
Type 2 D??
Me: shocked!! Thank you walk in clinic for not bothering to following up on my lab work!
The old; if you do not hear from us all is ok.
I started Keto and IF the very next day, that was just over 13 months ago.

A1c 8.7 down to 5.4
Rh-arthritis gone
34 pounds gone, now on maintenance and can never imagine changing how I eat.

Cheers

(Robin) #24

Thanks for your testimony. Very inspirational!

FenPhen was awesome! That stuff was definitely speed… and I’m an energy / cortisol / stimulant junkie! You can still get Phentermine, they just can’t combine it with Fenfluramine anymore. I don’t believe any of that was ever a problem, just like the morons that tried getting energy drinks pulled years ago because they were “dangerous”… YA! “Dangerous” when some idiot teen drinks 8 a day maybe, but let’s punish everybody for it!

Was overweight, pre-diabetic (when I caught it and already lost like 30lbs) and had a dad-bod! My kid was like 2 at the time and I swore all that crap was over and given I’m a little older (for my area at least) for a now 7yo, I said I didn’t want to be an embarrassment to my kid as he got older, at least until he was a teen and turned on me anyways… So diet fixed, and kick the crap out of myself at the gym. Was around 250 at the start if that decision (about 300 at my worst), went down to 190’s (looked like crap down there), now back up to 210-215 range for now and pretty sure I just broke the 10% BF barrier, so far so good!

Can never go back! For my mindset there is no happy medium, I can be a complete lunatic about it, or I’ll fall apart again. So lunatic it is!

So happy to hear carnivore is working so well for you!!