What does LOVE mean?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

A little sober reflection might be in order. So to speak. :grin:

Just like Richard says, when he starts drinking and then Pavlova happens…reflection…of a bike, staring right at him :wink:

(David Solberg) #23

I think this love of food is one of the biggest reasons why some people give up keto, either immediately or eventually. There is so much emotion wrapped up in our food, and it’s not just the addiction to sugars and carbs, either. So many of my childhood memories revolve around food, and I feel like eating that food gets me closer to the sense of security and letting go that most of us experience when young, before the pressures of everyday life come in.

I’ve been eating keto for 3 years, but I still look at a peanut butter rice krispie bar with chocolate frosting in a way that goes far, far beyond the taste sensation. It’s memories of my dead grandparents, of Christmas, of presents, of peace. I can easily eat a bite of pie and not crave another bite, so the sugar addiction is gone. The emotional addiction still comes at me, though.

(Bob M) #24

I think it’s also the constant carb atmosphere we’re in. Order chili with no beans, get chips; order a soup, get crackers; sit at a table, get bread delivered; order a menu item that says steak and vegetables, and it comes with potatoes (not listed); this list goes on and on and on.

And I went to a party where someone made a dish that was “healthy” because it had brown rice in it. Parties are very difficult, as they are total carbage. It’s difficult to get away from carbs, as they’re ingrained in our lifestyle.

(Randy) #25

I hate them passionately.

Things that were touted as “healthy” (grains, seed oils) at best, and “empty calories” (sugar, processed carbs) at worst, are really just poison to our long term health.

At 54 years old, I’m under 300 lbs for the first time since high school, all the while feeling like a complete failure in life because I didn’t have the willpower to “eat less/move more” myself to a normal weight. Always regaining any weight I did lose.

No. No fond memories of these foods for me.

Just hate for them, and those who have gained great riches selling the poison.

/rant

But I love you guys!!! :heart_eyes::grinning:

Sometimes nostalgia and sentimentality can cloud your memory of what you truly loved. Like rewatching a favourite movie from the 80s and realising that it was actually pretty crappy.

We had some old friends over yesterday who didn’t know we were keto and they brought a big bag of freshly cooked cinnamon donuts. The wife and I didn’t want to offend and we had one each…and you know what…they were pretty bloody ordinary. I had much more enjoyment scoffing down the sliced meats and cheeses!

(Running from stupidity) #27

SO MUCH THIS

(Davey B ) #28

I’ve been keto for 2.5 years. A few months ago I was eating a great pizza topping. … then I thought I would try a small corner or pizza dough, about a 1/2 inch sqr, I thought it would be like blood to a shark… But nothing, no love, but for the remainder of the cheesy, meaty toppings where all the real taste was waiting, big love!

I love the way I feel, I love the way I look, I love my new energy, flexibility, focus, confidence, I love where my keto journey has taken me, and others around me who have adopted by example, and realized the same love, and I love the idea that it’s just the beginning!

Love
Dave
Continuous Keto

No. Nor do we need to exploit beauty. In truth we can love a thing to death.

It’s a beautiful thing to be in nutritional ketosis and in following the path of learning to cook and prepare whole foods.

Keto commodification and exploitation, the monetisation can also bring the ugly to a beautiful thing. The perceived ‘need’ for Keto substitutes for carbohydrate addiction foods are the badlands neighbours to utopia.

The idea of feeding off the memories rather than being driven by them has its beauty.

(charlie3) #30

20 months of improving diet in the low-carb-real-food way. It’s been a journey. I’ve been strict to perfection for several months, a record. It helps that I truely enjoy my food and it fills me up. Recently hunger is reletively rare and I can go to bed any night on deficit calories (today will be a 323 calorie deficit because I’m too full too eat any more). Do I miss the junk? Sure, if I think about it. The pattern that’s developed is I’ll give in to junk twice a year, a particular birthday party, and Christmas with the family. I’m going to semi fast going into Christmas this year. Living like a hermit and eating only my own food has helped. It also helps that 40% of daily calories are burned by activity so I get to eat a lot.

I have developed a good relationship with the head butcher in a large produce shop, valuable.