Weight Watchers stock hit hard by falling earnings

conversationstarters

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

The distinction between “keto” and “low-carb” is arbitrary.

Dr. Phinney considers 50 g/day to be a ketogenic level of carbohydrate intake. It’s what they recommend to their patients at Virta Health. Our recommendation here is stricter, so as to virtually guarantee ketosis, but in truth, a ketogenic diet is any diet that promotes nutritional ketosis.

Dr. Phinney has worked with people who were in ketosis eating as much as 100 g/day of carbohydrate. Carb tolerances are highly individual.

Personally, I use the terms “keto” and “LCHF” interchangeably.

(Jane) #22

True.

The old WW program pushed low-fat milk so 2 milk exchanges would add another 25 g carbs to the equation. So, 75-100 depending on if you added the additional bread and fruit exchanges allowed.

It worked for me in my late 20’s … was not near as effective in my late 30’s after the birth of my second son. Between the stupid point system they went to and I was probably insulin resistant by then I am not surprised.

(Marianne) #23

I did WW several times over a thirty year span. If you have a lot to lose, it costs a small fortune to get to goal weight and maintenance. By the time you get to goal weight, you are down to like 15-18 points a day, which isn’t very much and is hard to sustain. What I remember about it is being hungry and unsatisfied most of the time and constantly craving my trigger foods. Although I miss the concept of certain foods, I am not craving them, plus I have no problem not eating in between meals. In many ways, I feel like keto has been a deliverance for me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

Interestingly, Dr. Berry says when he went to the store to check what the women’s magazines were all saying about “keto crotch” all of a sudden, it was surprising to see, quite coincidentally, a large ad for Weight Watchers next to the articles. That’s a really surprising coincidence, no? I mean, I’m surprised, aren’t you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Doug) #25

I think Dr. Fung relates the story of long-term success with Jenny Craig - a similar program. Using their own figures, Jenny Craig said that only 0.5% of people lost the weight and kept it off for 2 years.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #26

(Jane) #27

Uhhhhh… wouldn’t that work both ways?

I guess “keto dick” doesn’t make its way into the men’s magazines, eh???

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I apologize in advance that the blur spoiler feature is missing for the more delicate amongst us.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #28

Oooo, what’s that? Are they intimidated by the increased surge of testosterone and suddenly unsure of how to, um, handle a fervent call to arms?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #29

But if there was keto dick too, then it wouldn’t be sexist, and what fun is that? If we are going to crush a diet then it is clear. Go after women. That’s what you do.

(Libby) #30

I wasn’t looking forward to the cost of bacon sky rocketing anyways, if everyone jumped on the keto bandwagon.

(Laura) #31

The local news did a piece this morning on WW’s issues and I was expecting them to blame Keto, but they did not. They said Millenials are not interested in their mother’s diet nor in counting calories. In addition, there are so many free tools available now, that no one wants to pay for WW. They said that the company is going to put Oprah more front and center to try and rebound. Since ‘not enough Oprah’ was not listed as a reason, I fail to see how that will help.

I think the plan before they introduced points was much more effective. I lost 80 pounds using the exchanges. However, I was hungry all the time and so could not stick with it and gained it all back plus more. Low carb is the only WOE that I can follow long term because I am not constantly hungry. Even so, I still have days where I feel ravenous.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

Surely you’re not suggesting that I need more Oprah in my diet. Or more okra either, for that matter . . . :rofl:

(Janet) #33

Even if you were a person able to be “in ketosis” at 100g carbs a day, the current WW plan with Unlimited bananas (27g each), beans, and peas, plus as much bread and processed WW desserts as you can fit into your daily point allowance…eating 200-300g carbs a day would be quite possible.

Since Oprah appears to have regained those 30 pounds she claimed she lost after buying WW stock, bringing back more Oprah commercials will not help recovery in number of users.

(Liz Ellen) #34

So well stated, Ginger. I’m only two months into keto, but I feel satisfied and cool as a cucumber. At this point on WW, I would be a nervous, hungry wreck plotting my next cheat fiasco. I just feel like keto is going to be sustainable for me.

(Scott) #35

Yeah, not only do I find keto very easy and comfortable WOE but I don’t have this feeling of doom wondering how I am going to maintain.

(Liz Ellen) #36

Yes, I know what you mean. Though, truthfully, I’m a little nervous about what I’ll do when I reach goal (I’m nowhere close so I have a lot of time to ruminate on this). I would like to add in more carbs via more vegetables and some fruit. Don’t know if that will be possible.

Did I call that or what?

(Laura) #38

You did! Almost verbatim. Did you write that story for Channel 11 in Pittsburgh?

Nope, failing businesses unwilling to cater to Millennial needs are just super predictable.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #40

I think there might actually be a market in the keto diet if someone wanted to get really thoughtful about it. There are things I make to eat that I would buy if someone could make them out of the same three whole food ingredients and without a bunch of extra chemicals or junk and if they packaged it in a perfect lunch sized portion and made it affordable.