Weight and Career Sucess

careers

Thank you for the explanation.

The drug in question is the generic and CVS tells me the generic retails for about $300 a month without insurance. I still cannot believe it. The person is away but the savings is worth mailing it to him

I would not have known this without looking it up on GoodRx.com

Both.
It’s a real fact that it’s helps if you’re white, male, attractive, tall, charismatic, have a high IQ, were born into an upper middle class family…

Its head work to accept the factors that you cannot change and move on. Don’t waste energy thinking about the hand you were dealt. Instead, focus all your energy on how to succeed within the given circumstances.

Ah that is the rub here. You cannot change your race, your birth gender or your height beyond wearing lifts, but the perception is that you can change your weight and this is on some level your fault. Whether it is a prospective employer, a date, new acquaintance or a physician judging you (and yes they do), fat is considered the last permitted prejudice since you caused this to happen, you lost control. On a recent podcast they were saying how the obese are often are told that whatever is wrong is related to weight when often it is not. So they do not get the same level of medical or diagnostic care as a normal weight person. Just an example. Yet what I love about Jason Fung’s message is the opposite. We have been given bad advice for 50 years and then are slammed when we follow it and it does not work since it cannot. That what stimulates hunger is insulin even as it prevents fat being released from our cells. What stimulates insulin is exactly what we have been told to eat, carbohydrates yet the victim is blamed in every case, whether it is Oprah or the average Manchester housewife. It is unbelievable

(Dawn) #24

Well as the others have mentioned here, your talent, skills qualifications should win the day. Don’t let your weight hold you back from going after your dreams. You don’t want to have any regrets. If you have a desire to do something bigger, greater or just different…GO FOR IT. The weight will come off in time.

(Mother of Puppies ) #25

Absolutely. Males often consider who they want to look at in their office.

This is a main motivation for me.

I know this thread is a few years old, but I wanted to chime in. First off, congratulations on your interview and the impressive weight loss journey you shared. It’s brave and inspiring to hear how you faced your concerns head-on. It’s a tough reality, but perceptions about weight can sometimes play a role in career opportunities, though this is changing as workplaces become more inclusive.

It is real, and it sounds like you have been dealing with this for some time. I would highly recommend you start a process of daily gratitude. I write down three things I am grateful for up to three times per day. The shift in my psyche has been extraordinary.

It is both. Try and focus on your positives.

Unconscious bias also applies to a host of other things during the hiring process. We tend to like people like us. Lots of forward-thinking companies will redact or scrub a host of things on a CV to not unfairly taint a prospect. This can include things such as redacting their address and their name. This is called blind resume screening. We have standardized screening questions and scoresheets, attempting to reduce unconscious bias at my company. It is still a work in progress. We will not look at a potential candidate’s social media until close to the end of the hiring process, as that could invite bias. We will look at a candidate on social media only after we have determined they are qualified for the position. After all, we want to know about red flags like value misalignment before we extend an offer. But you want to be clear that you eliminated them because of that misalignment and not because of unconscious bias in our candidate pre-screening processes.

(Jimmy Lock) #29

Some could be paranoid too about this thinking anytime someone disagrees with them is because they are a little overweight…

There may be a bias, but nobody should allow their thoughts to be consumed by that as that can easily turn in to paranoia.

I still stand by what I said five years ago! It’s the last permitted prejudice, because it is perceived as being within our control when it often isn’t especially in how we have been taught to eat!

Having said that, your life is about so much more than size