Water fast with me plz

(Ken) #26

Sorry @Joyanna_Roux, I’m a lifetime member of the carnivore club so won’t be much help in making sure the ingredients are vegan friendly. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m sure there are plenty of other vegans around here that could offer advice though.

I hope your fast is going well. Have a great evening.

KCKO.

(Candy Lind) #27

WHAT HE SAID! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m going to stay the heck away from that one when I start doing EF.

(Joyanna Roux) #28

Hey guys! Broke the fast after 24 hours :frowning: but tomorrow is a new day and I’m starting my 72 hour water fast over again. I felt really hopeless and depressed around hour 20 . Any tips for pushing through?

That is glucose withdrawal.

Give your body time to purge toxins and heal.

(Teresa) #30

At least you did 24 hours, great job.

Since you are going to start it again, why not when you get to that point get on here and check out the topics or just do something to keep yourself busy to get your mind off of food. :smile:

(Ken) #31

Good Morning @Joyanna_Roux - good job on the fast, it’s great practice for the next one. Each one gets a little easier. The longer you’ve been Keto and the more you fast, the easier it gets.

If you haven’t listened to it already, The Obesity Code Podcast just had a great episode on fasting, it’s a good listen.

Have a great day! KCKO!

Sounds great! Looking forward to it. Talk to you next week. :grin:

(Dawn) #33

Hi There!!! Move over to the January IF/EF thread and you will find all the support that you need. That thread is dedicated to folks doing short fasts as well as long fasts. There are tips, tricks, science facts and plain old encouragement and LOVE. I am on day one of a open ended fast. My goal is 16 days for this fast, so I can easily do the first 3 days with you. I fast quite often and this is probably my third extended fast of 2018. LET’s DO THIS! Best of luck to you.

(Jeanne Wagner) #34

Hi @Joyanna_Roux! I am just now 24 hours into my very first 3-day fast. All week I have been doing 22-24 hr fasts each day this week since Monday. Since they have gone so well, it made me want to do an extended one! I picked the weekend because I seem to get very distracted at work doing these fasts, and wanted the comfort of home to get through this first 3-dayer.

So what have I done? Water with added salt and plain hot Chai tea. Nothing in the Chai tea, it’s just aromatic. I drink whenever I feel hungry. I have been hungry off and on since 10 am! Yikes. But I know it will pass and this will get me through. Frequent trips to the ladies’ room for sure. I have heard that the first two days are the tough ones, and day 3-4 is when the clarity and energy kicks in! Can’t wait. If it goes well enough, I’m going even further! I’m secretly hoping I’ll make 7 days! I’m happy to go through it with you!

(Joyanna Roux) #35

Excited to do this . Today is day 1 but I’m excited to be doing the rest alongside you :slight_smile:

(Jeanne Wagner) #36

Well, all these hours later and I’m still hungry! I don’t understand. I have been doing 24 hr fasts all week with hardly any issue, and at like hour 16 I started getting hungry. No amount of water, hot tea, or salt has helped. There was one little window of like 2 hours where I felt ok. Maybe I just need to be super busy or something, but I’m ready to head off to sleep just so I don’t have to deal with it anymore. lol

(Joyanna Roux) #37

I was very hungry all of yesterday and it didn’t let up! I completely understand what you’re going through. Hopefully today is easier :slight_smile:

(Jeanne Wagner) #38

Yes today is great!! No hunger. Thank goodness! I’m keeping up with my salted water. That takes a lot of getting used to. My keto friend at work told me Perrier sparkling water is good to drink while fasting too. I HATE that stuff. But taste buds can change over time. I haven’t tasted in a good decade or so, so maybe I will give it a try.

(Jeanne Wagner) #39

Checking in, hour 50 1/2. I am really thirsty and just guzzling down the water. I had 2 six ounce cups of black coffee about half an hour to an hour ago and that may be the culprit, but I don’t think the total issue because I was getting a bit thirsty prior to the coffee. I put some salt under my tongue earlier about three hours ago it was just regular sea salt, and I probably had a good half a teaspoon. Maybe a little more but not a teaspoon even. It was really intense and it was hard to take down. But it was better than having salty tasting water because that wasn’t working so well for me.

(PDXAnna) #40

Hi there! I just finished a 72 hour water fast last week. I used to fast a lot several years ago for spiritual reasons, but was not wise in how I entered or ended it. This time I didn’t even try a longer fast until I was accustomed to daily intermittent fasting (only eating from about 12n-7pm). That made it easier. Since I’m still a praying person, I asked for lots of grace, too!

I did learn to wean from coffee ahead of time or expect headaches and lethargy – ugh. My back-up plan for salt was pickle brine (from true fermented pickles, not just vinegar). I use that sometimes when I feel a need for it. But I didn’t need anything more than water – yay!

Day 2 was hardest as far as “wanting” food, not really needing it. By day 3, all was well. I ended up having to break the fast because of family plans. But the experience reset my keto progress that went by the wayside during the holidays… :frowning:

Keep up the good work! It’s worth it in the long run. But it is easier if you are on the road to fat adaptation already. Learned that lesson!

(Jeanne Wagner) #41

Nice! I have heard from a lot of people that day two or day three were the hard days, so I was surprised that my day one was tough when all the previous four days I had done 24 hour fasts I had no problems with them. So mystery unsolved, and my day two is great I just have to be careful about making sure I had enough salt and once I did catch up with it I’m great again. However, who knows what will happen the next time I try a three day fast. It could very well be that the second day or third day is tough on me. I was jittery all day yesterday and a lot of today, but I seem to be calming down a little bit now. I don’t know if that’s just my nerves because this is my first three day fast and I was nervous or if it has something to do with what my body is doing.

Also I woke up this morning and my breath was funky. And it has stayed funky all day. I can taste in my mouth. Not like morning Dragon breath, but just strange. I don’t know how to describe it. Kind of chalky and filmy but there was no film on my teeth. Later in the day when I had ingested some salt my teeth got some film on it, but then after a little while and drinking some water it seemed to go away.

Note to self. Don’t drink coffee when your stomach is relatively empty of anything but water. It’ll come back to haunt you in a very acidic way.

(Joyanna Roux) #42

Day 2 has been very easy! I did have a small vegan hot chocolate but that’s it! Otherwise just tea and water! Feeling pretty good

(Jeanne Wagner) #43

Feels great doesn’t it? :grin:

(Joyanna Roux) #44

Today I woke up so ravenously hungry it actually shocked me! All I can think about is how hungry I am. Gonna have some tea and hope it goes away haha

(Joyanna Roux) #45

Thanks for the encouragment!