TreatyMeatyCarnivore December!

(Michael) #21

@Fangs and @Shinita

I had three classes. First class was small, only one person tried everything and a few more tried a piece or two here or there, plus my manager and assistant both tried one of each. Second medium sized class had many takers, 4 or 5 tried everything and quite a few tried some. Third class was like the second class, quite a few tried it all. Least favourites were the raw sheep testicles and well cooked sheep spleen. Favourites were Buffalo heart with thymus being both second most liked and second most hated-LOL. Beef liver was “best liver I have tried” by a few, although not a well liked option.

Wow, they must be more adventurous than the average person I would think…? Maybe you were very convincing too :wink:

Heart is a proper muscle, tasty and I like the texture too, no wonder it was beloved.
Liver tends to divide people, it’s quite individual who likes which see me and Alvaro, I loved beef liver when we tried once, he disliked it very much and don’t plan to touch it again. We agree with all the other livers we tried.

So thymus is nice? I couldn’t even expect anything, it’s such an unknown thing to me. I thought the marrow will be liked, I am not into non-meat animal body parts so much (except crunchy skin) but marrow has a lovely texture and it’s not bad, just not a big deal for me. But so many people LOVE it, I thought it would be more popular…

I lost my nice satiation after midnight again but it wasn’t bad so I just thought of eating an egg… I did had another creamy coffee at some point, it probably was earlier? I don’t remember.
Kind of/elongated OMAD day then, yay!

I looked at all the supermarket ad papers, whatever their name is, online as usual, we don’t even get such things here between 2 small villages… Oh there are wonderful sales now, hopefully they continue it in the next weeks. With my precious few items, I mean. Oh I understand the pork chuck thing, it’s the “on sale” pork item for that supermarket chain for this weekend. It has nice ones usually, the problem is that they run out of it in no time sometimes. Alvaro was lucky to get some after 2pm. The cut with the price cap is never around. At least the 70/30 is easy to get, it’s just so insanely fatty I got a lot of lard from it last time and it will take weeks to use it up. Even the chuck produced a little lard as usual. At least I can use up a lot for my fried chicken livers. I waited almost 2 weeks, I can eat another 500g now, right? :smiley: It’s nice variety. (I read some info, I definitely get way above the needed and recommended amount but it is probably fine, my body didn’t complain anyway, not like I know what it would do… I can’t really eat much less from things rich in vitamin A without great difficulties so I won’t. But I have another bunch of info in my brain now. And another reason to do OMAD…)
But I wish to get some other organs soon. I haven’t eaten heart since very long, for example. Chicken liver is the easiest item to get, that’s why I eat it, it’s my least fav among the ones I am willing to eat (I don’t eat things I dislike).

After coffee before breakfast blood glucose = 5.4mmol/l (98mg/dl) with 0.2 mmol/l.

This is a tree photo. I’m looking close at the forest.

Hi Shinita, yes the changes have seemed quick, however ever since I started keto (12 Oct) I have been gravitating towards carnivore. I quickly lowered my carbs and then lost interest in them altogether. What took a little while longer to quit was dairy, but I got fed up with how dairy was making my body feel. And now, on clean carnivore (besides my morning coffee which I drink plain) my body is feeling happy and is settling into this WOE without feeling deprived.
As to my idea of lamb being more like dessert, well the idea rose from how exotic it is to me, how little I can actually get my hands on price wise, and that less is more when it comes to lamb. So it makes a perfect cz dessert that way, along with foods like pork belly. It’s like putting your usual meat on your plate, and then adding a more exotic cut of something you can’t often afford to splurge on. Whether it’s all fish and seafood or meat, I never mix those two. Well except for when I lived in Norway and my family and I used to eat a type of fish that was more like jelly and we ate it with bacon.
Yes it will be exciting to see how I do and more importantly how my body does on this journey.

FrankoBear, love the nature photos you post, they are both beautiful and otherwordly.

Thanks tons Karen. Hard times we all walk thru for sure :frowning:

-------------------- Vet called with results. Super duper bad. He is degrading very fast. Pancreatic cancer. She suggested we love on him over the weekend and bring him in on Monday morning to be put down. Holy cow. Gotta have conversation with my daughter this afternoon. Dreading that :frowning:

Got usual meats to eat. Not very hungry. Little sad this is all going down so swiftly. Just get thru some days here and let life march right on over as it will for all and just take it from there.

12th of October wasn’t much long ago either. You were quick! Lucky :wink:
Not so lucky with dairy, I would have huge problems without them. Of course, I would give them up for health but I am glad I don’t need to. It took some effort to bring down the amounts… Originally I could eat a ton of cream or sour cream. I still could if I wanted but I don’t desire that.

If something is exotic, it makes it a holiday main meal for me, still not a dessert :wink: I wonder what I would do without dairy though, my desserts typically involve that… Maybe my attitude would shift then. Maybe not.

@Fangs: Oh :frowning: IDK what to say :cry:

It’s ok. Thanks S!! That was enough ya know :slight_smile:

I had a walk, I needed it as the showing kept me from it yesterday. I talked about Bolt to Alvaro a bit… I remember when you went to the beach not so very long ago and showed us a photo of him there. Such an adorable little guy.

It’s 3pm and I start to get hungry. It’s wonderful from a weekend day (noon wasn’t unusual on weekends, even my body functioned differently then, it wasn’t just triggered because Alvaro eats lunch earlier whenever he can, i.e. not on workdays) but still too early for OMAD so I wait until I can. And if it’s still too early, I can try a small eggy pre-lunch, a proper OMAD meal is hard for me on carnivore anyway.
I have pork roast, eggs and whipped cream. Eggs in various fun forms like sponge cake and raw fluff (not a great name but I really can’t call it marshmallow even if the original recipe was for that). I won’t be bored but I fear satiation comes too early. Well, a sausage can help me out then.

Another cold day. Definitely makes me feel hungrier so my first breakfast was a plate of bacon. My second breakfast was another plate of bacon lol. That kept me going till dinner which again was nothing elaborate, a couple of my favourite beef burgers and a pork chop. Then I had the last of the lamb chops for my zc dessert

My oldest boy, aged 6, has been busy today helping me write christmas cards. My youngest aged 4, has been busy learning to write. He is eager to get as good at reading and writing as his big brother. I’m thinking we’ll put up the christmas decorations tomorrow instead of waiting till 6 Dec which is our tradition. It will be nice to make the house feel more like christmas and something for the boys to do and enjoy as well. Tonight we went out to enjoy the beautiful christmas lights that now adorns our village.

(Karen) #30

@Fangs I have to admit that I did pray for Bolt this morning and asked that if he was in pain that he passes quickly, I don’t envy you having to talk this through with your daughter … so so hard for you … I am sure she will want what is best for the little doggo. Prayers are still with you. Oh you have had your fair share of sad times over the past year or 2.

I was up early this morning, I had set the alarm for 7.45 but was awake at 7.22 so after jumping back under the warm covers I thought heck I will never want to get out from under these so I best do it now and at 7.34 I was out and getting my gym stuff on ready for CrossFit.

I sat outside for a while reading and drinking my coffee … donned with a blanket under my bum and a blanket over my lap and layers of tops on under my house jacket and lumber jacket. It was 4° so should have been warmer than yesterday but no those clouds were moving across the sky from the east… not in a fast speedy manner, hardly any wind but I could see them moving and thought yep perhaps we are going to get the beast from the east again this year. Then once the clouds had moved over and the blue sky was once again above it started spitting with rain. I looked up and though where the flip is that coming from so went indoors until it was time to leave the house.

It was a pairs workout this morning, my daughter had decided not to come but go and get on with the old house renovations. So I am standing around wondering who was going want me as their partner and one of the lads who had done the team work with us last week asked if I wanted to pair up with him… awww how sweet, he is lovely but very tall and i’m quite short lol but we did good and got a great workout done.

Returned home after gassing a while with a few peeps and then after reading a bit more had a sirloin steak with my lovely special butter for brunch. Took Raymond to the Garden Centre for him to have a bite to eat and I sat with an earl grey. The steak was sufficient to see me over till I returned home via Tescos and The Company Shop where I bumped into my daughter lol. Picked up plenty pork chops some of which are already in the slow cooker and some in the freezer and some steaks and cheese. In Tescos I picked up some beef roasting joints half price and a reduced price lamb shoulder joint which went in the freezer ready for the boxing day meal at my daughters. One of the beef joints will be for Xmas too. I will trial out the other one before then. I usually buy topside if I buy beef roast at all but I think this will be a silverside which will require slower cooking. May sear it then put it in the slow cooker over night and see how that goes. May end up shrivelled up and tiny lol we will see.

I had also bought reduced price meatballs in Tescos and had them for dinner … all 12 of them …tasty … followed later by a mini tin of tuna which wasn’t that great :roll_eyes:

The bacon was last nights treat and the mug was beef stock. I enjoy that as a drink in winter.

Oh also doing 100 hand release push ups every day in December so this is day 4 completed. I do like a bit of a challenge :smiley:

Just had 2 scrambly eggs in butter … just fancied something nice and it was nice. Also forgot I took a photo of my favourite reading place this morning… I think you can tell its a cold morning by that sunrise.

Wow.
I had to check out what is that and yay, I actually can do it! (I am horrible at push ups, never could do one proper one.)
But 100, OMG. Maybe it’s possible but not today. Yesterday I FINALLY did my chest press exercise again and now I have so aching muscles :smiley: Normally it’s fine but if I lift my arms or put some weight on them…

I tracked. And actually ate half an egg and extra creamy eggs, my early lunch didn’t seem to be quite enough. Very modest day, slightly below 120g fat and protein according to guesstimation. My food was quite fine, I had no annoying hunger even for a minute… I am pleased.
I tasted the soft sausage from the village supermarket. Edible but not so great. I got better stuff from there but the variety dropped lately. And why they put starch into it? At least it has no added sugar. But next time I will check out my sausages and if I find a nice one, I buy more packages at once. It freezes great.

I almost run out of my pork roast so I defrost a package of chicken liver again. I probably can’t drop the fattiness of my day but if it means s bit more sour cream for me, I am fine with that :smiley: Except I almost run out of that too. More protein then, I probably will need my usual higher amount soon. We will see what happens, I am just wondering and trying to use my experiences but OMAD may be different.

I looked at some notes. We ate 50g butter per week lately. I like numbers.

(Judy Thompson) #32

Funny thing lastnight. We got home from the gig about midnight and I came in and said, “Smells sweet in bere like somebody has been baking cookies” and he gave me this puzzled look. Since nearly 11 months ago when I went carni and gave up all sweeteners plain stuff has gotten sweeter and sweeter. So cool how the senses adapt!
@Fangs enjoy your time with Bolt. We know when we get them that we will outlive them but that doesn’t make it any easer does it?
@Shinita enjoy your music! How “good” you are makes very little difference. I enjoy typing, I’m not very fast lol
@Karen18 Everybody in the restaurant signed release forms because occasionally the camera would pan the space or at the very least, someone’s voice could probably be heard in the background! But everyone thought it was fun and pretty cool :slight_smile:
@lawyerjohn Your tomahawk steak birthday cake is a fantastic idea! Next year I’m gonna do that!
We’re a few minutes from leaving for the gig. Yesterday we went 5 hours earlier due to the Christmas parade that blocked all the streets in town. We went to the clothing store and I got a BEAUTIFUL turquoise suede fringed duster, and hubby a coordinating suede vest with a knitted back in a turquoise and caramel pattern. Too warm now at 50 degrees but it will be a gorgeous ensemble when it is!

@never2late
boys 6 and 4. nice. I am sure you are enjoying Xmas thru their eyes! I know it is fun with smaller ones around!! Making all those good memories!

nice food pics!

@Karen18
so nice ya got a workout partner. I love reading your check in updates :slight_smile: so funny running into your daughter than at the shops and spending time with Raymond while he lunches. Girl you get around!

Yea had some tough times fallen on me lately. A jumble. Getting thru it all as one can! Thank you for the prayers :heart:

@Shinita
I also love ‘stuff that freezes’ so well.

Question and I know I screw this up for some reason…I put 50g is how many ounces? in computer and it comes up like 1 oz. This can’t be right? right? lol…you guys aren’t eating just 1 oz of butter per wk, I know my figures have to be off somehow :slight_smile: just curious.

@JJFiddle
so can relate on sweet smell. I said many times I can smell and taste 1 grain of sugar a mile away now HAHA We do become ‘normal’ sensitive again. Old life ancient times we relied on real smell and taste to ‘save us’ as any animal would use their senses for survival. Get super unhealthy and desenstitived we truly become ‘sluggy lugs’ ya know. But on carnivore those senses start to reawaken. Cool isn’t it :slight_smile:

Thanks on Bolt. Yea doesn’t make it easy for sure. But something we all do get thru when we must!

So is that nice turquoise duster and your hubby’s vest an ‘ensemble’ that is a work outfit for your gigs? You know I want to see a pic of that :slight_smile:

@FrankoBear
been meaning to ask about Billie’s menu and how much. She is a good sized dog and wondering how much she is eating in a day? just curious cause I got the tiny dog ya know and I know he eats a small amt of carnivore vs. what a larger dog would eat. Wondering how you are feeding her?

----------------today is NY Strip steak and burger.

so doggie hasn’t eaten much lately…by much almost nothing. doesn’t seem in pain ya know but woobly and zombie like. vet said put some sugar on his gums so I made a paste and hit him with it and he did perk up. She said with all his numbers so off now and med issues, anyway nutrition, anyway ya know. So I made fresh chick for him again. won’t touch it. Made a few slices pork loin I cut into tiny pieces. Nope. I tried bacon and cheese again even tho he never really liked it. Nope. I thought, ok my steaks aren’t defrosted, off to store to buy a small cheap steak for him. Mission, get him fed ANYTHING I can, if I can?

So I hit store and find small marked down steak. Then thinking, hmm, went to dog food aisle and bought 6 different small cans of best sounding dog food. Hey right? feed him anything I can?

Came home and tried everything on him…see he is barking at me to eat when I say are ya hungry? our usual gig. But is he hungry or just reacting to ‘our usual gig’ ya know? I don’t. But I know he has to eat, again, if I can get him to eat.

So he ate no steak. ugh. He walked from all 6 cans of wet dog food I opened. bleck.

Then I see my burger defrosted for me. I thought I haven’t tried burger on him in a long time cause he never was a fan of it. Fried up a 1/3 lb. of burger and THAT DOG INHALED ALL that entire burger in a flash.

Huh? WTH? He perked up. Acted better. ‘seemed’ better but I can’t fool myself. I am putting a bandaid on a plane crash here but he ate!!
So later he comes up to me and he gives me ‘that look’ and I know it, seen it for over a decade, it means feed me. I said ya hungry? and he started barking and I made another 1/3 lb. burger and he inhaled it again at warp speed.

and get this…this morning gave him his seizure meds and went about my business, all at 5am this morning :slight_smile: and he kept following me around as usual but ‘had that look’ and I said ya hungry? this early? and the barking and I just nuked him a 1/3 lb. burger and it ate about 90% of it.

I don’t know guys. I am just doing what I can for him ya know. See how this plays out. Kiddo took it very hard when I gave her the run down on it all. Alot of tears. So key to all of this is go with the daily flow, keep intense eye on him and wait it out to the end. All one can do I guess.

Sorry for long ramble on Bolt but he is now like my focus ya know. Doing what I can. Amazed me from not eating anything to all of the sudden rebound to full on appetite? but I can’t let a small rebound fool us either ya know.

OK onward…see what the day brings.

Ground venison mixed with bacon, egg, and salt. Pan fried in butter.

from ‘your new venision’ store ya hit up!
WOW
Fab!
and the taste? give us a yum or no yum report, how ya find it? a new shop now in your line of sights?

It’s less than 2 oz but it’s so super easy to calculate, 1oz is 28g. Oz is a totally insane thing to me but well, I learned that one info. I think my browser would give me this immediately… Yep, it’s a tad above 1.76 oz.

Sorry but I NEVER understood why it’s such a mystery for people to figure out conversion. Even if it’s google and not immediate browser thing. It’s one thing you did it wrong and ask, it’s just a little thing but I saw fanfic writers totally messing up Celsius and writing a whole paragraph about being sorry, they don’t use Celsius.
I think a writer should do their research especially when it’s a single super easy formula to begin with (but googling makes that info unneeded too). Some writers research the hell out of every detail, okay, that’s maybe not strictly necessary but I respect such ones… While some can’t even check basic spelling and such conversions. I don’t understand when people have this attitude with their creations. It’s especially bad when someone writes good, many people immensely enjoy the work - but there are those horrible misspellings. Okay, it’s a name, not a proper word so they just didn’t know. But why didn’t they look it up? Either of the zillion misspelled ones?

So it’s just an apropos, as I wrote your case is very different, you don’t state wrong things in a supposedly artwork. Just to be clear. I still don’t get it, it’s easy to convert but I do that all the time…

So it’s 1.76 oz. A big much for a week considering it’s a luxury item but it’s irreplaceable :smiley: We are just able to live without it. It would be miserable and we wouldn’t gain much just lose a lot, bad deal so we don’t want to… But we could.
We typically use coconut oil and lard, respectively whenever it’s possible but sometimes a dish calls for butter. Or I want specifically butter. I can put either lard or butter on my spongecakes but the result is quite different. I love both so lard is the default but I really love butter and would miss it.
Sometimes butter replaces a small amount of dairy in desserts including coffee. It’s just a tiny dairy-like extra flavor. Not as good as cream but better than nothing.

We probably had times with 1oz butter a week, it’s not a very little amount, enough for many times. We use it sparingly. Just a tad on Alvaro’s Vegemite bread with cheese, 2g in my coffee… I won’t say that in oz :smiley: We don’t use it when some other fat can be used just fine.

It’s Sunday and I decided I can relax a bit. I mean, timing wise. Not like I didn’t have 3 dinners yesterday… It seems my body WANTS its 130g protein now. Maybe I could pull it off without eating, I wasn’t hungry but I MISSED something. Protein or calories or both? I couldn’t not focus on it. So I ate even some pork chuck in the end. Yum. Carefully. I try not eating fatty meat more than once a day as I easily eat too much of it then but I can be quite careful now.
So it wasn’t a bad day, I just want ONE meal and chilling already. I should keep at least protein tracking (though that’s about the same as tracking everything as I live on protein sources…). But I really wish to drop tracking. Even just measuring out a decent amount of meat is well, measuring and notes and stuff. Maybe it’s just for a little while and then I can do it automatically. When I went low-carb and kept overeating, I tracked, figured out how much 2000 kcal is (and that it works perfectly) and then I just kept eating about at much (I suppose) without tracking. But my body loves 2000 kcal. It’s very easy to eat that much automatically (as far as I try to eat as little as possible. as it’s easy to eat more too), eating properly now is the tricky thing. Not like I KNOW what properly means for me now but I have some vague ideas.
Maybe I should just stuff myself and eat more if I lose my satiation in the next minutes… Probably some mental things are in play too, I need a very different attitude for OMAD than for non-OMAD. It usually isn’t good when my planned OMAD becomes 3MAD…

But I stop thinking about it. I just wait and will see.

Ohhh… :slight_smile: Your huge efforts got paid off, yay… And it surely gave poor thing some joy :heart:

I can’t hug him so I go and hug my cats instead, being thankful they are young, healthy girls, almost always ready to eat but smart enough to leave the food when it was enough.

putting these 2 together I understand it IS like less than 2 oz like ya said…but being carnivore and just normal eating in a way, how can 2 people ONLY use less than 2 oz. of butter per week??? LOL to me I throw 1/2 a stick in my pork loin fry pan or 1/4 stick on my steak to cook :slight_smile: :slight_smile: So it isn’t calcs here, it is a mystery why the butter usage is so low. Like I can’t compute it :slight_smile: So yea I was coming from that thought thinking no way 2 people are using less than 2oz butter per week in their entire food prep, cook etc ? Are ya using lard or bacon grease or ? again just wondering on it :wink:

You are lucky now ya got ‘the young’ins’ for pets at this point cause as everything ages, oh yea we all gotta deal with it all. Down side is never a great situation for any of us as we all know. I had great cats. Loved the mystery of my cats definitely! My worst cat event was my Blue Seal Point Siamese named Albert. What an amazing kitty. One day, gone. omg it tore me up. searched and searched but just gone. as a kid I took ‘rescue to find him’ to all my neighbor kids but in the end, mystery disappearance. Still miss Albert to this day and think super fond of him for sure. One thing I remember about my big ol’ monster tom ‘Randy’ was he would sleep with me, right up curled in. That cat loved being loved and snuggled! a big ol’ scaggy tom cat was the sweetest mush around. cats rule, no doubt.

(Karen) #38

@Fangs thats so funny that your Bolt is woofing down the burger! You know he probably is just like us cos we know when we need certain things cos we listen to our body and thats what Bolts doing. The burger will probably digest better and more quickly that steak and who blames him for turning his nose up at doggo cans of food :wink:

I’m not eating quite as much butter at the moment. I had it yesterday and today with steak but must have been a week or so since the last time.

And yes I do get around but I would much rather not have to go anywhere lol Raymond just isn’t able to get himself out and about with his issues at the mo so relies on me quite a bit. And yes isn’t it great when you bump into your bestie at the meat counter of the cheapest shop in town :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::rofl::rofl:

@FrankoBear your food pics look great but I hate venison. When I lived in Germany I used to eat quite a bit of veal but I find venison a bit strong tasting for my liking. Of course i haven’t eaten it for years so perhaps now I eat this way I may have a different opinion of it now.

Up not so early today … was a bit of a wakeful night with a number of trips to the loo and I wee’d well each time lol. Hadn’t drunk anymore water last night than usual so not sure why I needed to go so much. I was up awake at 8am but thought even though I knew I needed another wee I wasnt going to succumb and stayed in the warmth thinking its Sunday for goodness sake have a lay in hahaha I woke again just after 9am so got up and did 70 stairs runs. Then outside into garden to sit and read with my coffee.

Talking about coffee and the sweetness, well I always drink it black and use coffee beans every morning. Depending on what undertones it has it can have that sweetness to it. I try to get nutty undertones as I find the coffee is not so sweet tasting and is rich but also smooth. I must admit to being partial to strong black coffee … no good if you can’t taste the coffee. Bad or weak coffee is so much more noticeable when it’s black.

So the pork chops I put in the slow cooker yesterday went on high for about an hour and a half about 4.30pm and then turned down to low for rest of the night until I ate them about 11.45am this morning for brunch. Flippin yum! Ate all 3 albeit 1 was thick and 2 rather more thinly cut.

Popped over to take a paper to Raymond’s house, he left the one he bought yesterday in the back of my car so I picked up todays and he now has 2 to read. Stayed for a cuppa and chat then left him dropping off… must be my dulcid tones :rofl::rofl::rofl::sleeping::sleeping:

Came home via The Company Shop again because I was hoping that he steaks marked with todays date, and there were quite a few yesterday, would be half price. The steaks had all gone :sob: but the lad was standing there by the meat reducing all todays dated stuff and I picked up 3 packet of skinless boneless chicken thighs (for Raymond) 50p each, 4 packs of the pork chops i got yesterday 50p each, 4 prepared meals (for Raymond) 50p each and a 750g pack of pork chops 50p plus another smaller prepared meal (again for Raymond) £1.30. As i wasn’t going back to his place till Tuesday I had to rejig my freezer to fit everything in. Think I will be living off pork for a while lol. Well happy shouldn’t need to go again till January!

Had a sirloin steak with my special French butter about half 4 and got the oven ready for chicken wings both meals were super tasty.

So far I have done 80 hand release push ups so just another 20 and jobs a gooden. Reason I’m doing hand release is because I didn’t want to end up doing girlie push ups on my knees but I know that at the mo I wouldn’t be able to do 100 big boy push ups so a bit of a compromise. Hopefully before the end of December I might be able to get through all 100 in big boy style once my strength is up to scratch. I promise I am mindful at keeping form though so bum lifts in line with back … no bum in the air or shoulders in the air first!

This one is way too long, sorry. Too many thoughts.

One easily eats zero butter on carnivore… We just eat it because it’s so… special :slight_smile:
I do my best to use ZERO added fat but it’s kinda impossible so I use a little. But if it’s cooking, it’s lard. I almost only use butter in my coffees (about 10g a week if I drink coffee every day and I don’t have cream or milk but I usually have that) and when I want my kind of buttered bread (buttered spongecakes) but that’s rare. And I used it for baking, that’s why it actually reached 50g but it would be like 42g even without it.
I can try a zero butter month, not such a big deal though I would lose some tiny joy for just a challenge… :smiley:

Alvaro ONLY use butter for his Vegemite breads here and there. Super thinly spread.

But I eat pork, chicken or turkey. They all come with their own fat, I never add any.
I rarely eat scrambled eggs but they often just use whatever is left after I fried some meat (if it’s a lard making meat, I pour all the lard I can first but the thin leftover coat on the pan is enough for my eggs) or if I use bacon, I don’t need added fat again… But I usually eat eggs without any added fat.
I do use lard for my fried livers, 10g lard for 500g liver. It happens once every 2 weeks.
And because I produce more lard than what I need, I have another serious motivation to spread lard on my sponge cakes and not butter. So I really don’t know why I would use even more butter. I can’t afford the fat calories, butter is expensive anyway, I don’t need it… Just a tiny butter taste now and then, that’s joyful, both the taste and the knowledge I still can eat some butter :wink: It’s enough, really.

By the way, even Alvaro barely uses added fat. His dishes just don’t need it. Okay, the weekend veggie dishes do and his breakfast potatoes and eggs too, oh and his chocolate too. But all the sweet breakfasts and almost all desserts and whatever I make for him, that has no added fat in it. Unless I fry meatballs but I almost never do that. I should but those “modern” pitiful slabs are almost small for my mini oven pan… (I have a -big - mini oven but the pan I usually use for meat is deep and significantly smaller than what would fit into the oven. So I don’t put more than 3kg meat into it.)

So we just don’t use much added fat and we don’t cook with butter.

I buy bacon a few times a year. It’s expensive, usually not so great and so salty I doubt I could eat it anymore. I am not sure I will buy it in the next months but it’s December, holidays, surely there will be some sale and it’s fun and crunchy… I probably will buy a small packet. And then nothing for months.

I never was like that always. We used up 1 liter of coconut oil a week in the beginning… But we went down. We both ate too much back then. And for me, fat was the macro that had to be lowered (and carbs but that was pretty low to begin with… lowering it makes lowering fat way easier though so it was a great idea when it finally was realistic)… And especially added fat as it doesn’t seem to satiate me. While fat in my protein sources are very much needed. It took soooo long for me to find some nice leaner pork to enjoy. And if I can afford some “added fat”, that must be my cream/sour cream darlings :smiley: And an itsy-bitsy lard :wink: And even tinier amount of butter. I want everything. I can do it rare. Or in tiiiiny amounts. But I don’t give up my lovelies.

Oh I had cat deaths already. Well obviously, we always had cats. When I was born, my Grandma had a cat, at least but when we practically inherited her house (she moved to her other daughter), Mom started to have cats. At one point she stopped, she said he can’t handle another cat death… She loved the last one very much.
But our cats never seemed to get really sick. Only very immediately before death. Very lucky.
I feel most sorry about Piskutek. He was the kitten of our oldest current cat. Probably poisoning and I probably mentioned him already. He looked lovely, pale ginger, I wanted to keep him so much… I couldn’t see his personality yet as he spent his not totally baby times elsewhere, some houses further, he died and got buried there too, we only heard the news.
But the girls now? 3 very different looking and feeling cats with very different personalities! It’s fun! But all of them are lovely. In their own ways, Tofu is still a huge tsundere, doing her faux bite act every time I pet her while she is napping. SnugglePie is great for cuddling, always ready for getting some loving attention and Caroline is a big hunter and loner but she is fine with a quick hug or petting and even can be persuaded to curl up next to us if she is in the mood. We have great company.

I wanted to put some photos into the cat thread but I couldn’t find it…
Pie being coy:

The cats got the super much liquid from the chicken liver bag (bottom of the barrel, I thought… my chicken livers always defrost into lots of liver with only some liquid but this one had many times more). I don’t know the term. The red thing that fries into soft and not very tasty solids? That thing. I tasted it, meh, could mix into something in some huge need but I have good food for myself and I have cats, the stuff wasn’t even salted so they got it. They loved it.
And I ate the b igger part of the actual liver for lunch. Among others. It was bitter, I wonder why but I skipped the usual little spices this time. And I used only 9 minutes instead of 30 but high heat instead of low… And I didn’t salt it in the beginning as I do usual (I don’t think it matters, people just write the usual untrue things like egg whites can’t get whipped if some yolk is in it… :D). It was soft but it was freshly made, it’s probably about the same cold as the 30 minutes one. Still don’t get why chicken liver would need just a little time. First it’s raw, then it’s normal. And I can’t imagine why one would fry it super long so it actually could become too dry and hard and bad.
Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I would understand if I ate the actual stuff people complain and gush about. I just never get those super quick livers. I don’t like raw liver and I need a longer time. But why hate people the normal, not raw version and consider it overcooked? It’s proper liver to me. And I used a pretty high heat for my 9 minutes liver. Mystery.

But I want beef liver now. And heart and tongue. But all organs I normally use are helpful and quite edible so if I can’t get something else, I continue frying chicken liver.

:slight_smile:
I totally understand people are usually like that but I still love my super weak coffee :smiley: I can’t handle bitter things well and a not bitter kind of coffee isn’t bitter when super weak :wink: And I still feel it’s coffee… After I managed to make my coffee too strong for a long time occasionally (no problem, I add water), I actually started to make it too weak and I totally can’t handle that, it must be right for me. But I have a very long history of flavored water. First I used those fizzy vitamin pills, one pills is supposed to go into one glass of water, I probably used 2 liters… Now I need 10 liters, probably as it’s so sweet, I bought some years ago for reasons and finally it runs out now…
Then came my more or less weak teas, it depends on what kind… And then coffee. I wasn’t such a coffee drinker when I was a very young adult. I never could drink strong coffee but it got “worse” (I consider it good that I don’t need to spend a big amount of my food cost on coffee even if I drink it all the time. it’s high enough this way for some needless, pretty useless non-food that even takes time. stupid charming coffee).

And it was pretty much ridiculous when I drank something sugary in the last years, it took a ton of carbonated water every time, well just a glass but relatively speaking…

So I tend to drink weak drinks. Except booze, I do it over 40% (all the 12ml I tend to drink…) and I actually could do very serious egg milks, many yolks per glass… I never do (2 was my highest) but maybe I will on OMAD where eating enough isn’t so very trivial when not using a bunch of carbs.

Apropos coffee and sweetness. I tried sweetened coffees lately. I don’t even know why, maybe habit, I used to do it a few times a year… And it was bad. I can’t stand sweetened coffee (or cocoa) anymore, not even when whipped cream is present and I used to slightly prefer that with a little sweetener a few years ago, maybe even last year? I already knew I prefer my drinks unsweetened now (or sweetened by cream :smiley: that’s always welcome) but now it’s not just preference. I ONLY can enjoy them without any sweetener. They just ruin it. Even a little. I kept diluting it with black coffee and nope, it never got good.
Yay. It’s a very long ongoing training in my life. Since I went low-carb, I worked on my sweetener use. It took some years to lose it from my coffee, some more from my occasional cocoa. I already didn’t drink sweetened teas since decades (when I learned how to drink tea properly and not in the stupid way we always did since babyhood, with lemon and lots of sugar) - except when nostalgy hit but let’s not talk about those rare moments, they don’t matter much and of course it wasn’t much sugar, it was little sweetener.

My fav sweetener is cream now, hands down :smiley: It’s a dessert in itself, it’s a flavoring, a creamer…

By the way I am off again, circumstance things piled up. Well I was, I am back again after some hours (it’s not FUN to be more than super slightly off, why did it happen? yeah, Alvaro made a HUGE, tasty old fav of mine I almost dreamed about since long just when I didn’t fancy meat so much, among other things…) except I will cook a chicken soup (actually, hen, it matters. the tiny, 900g aka 2 pounds hen!) for both of us so some vegs in it are inevitable. Good enough for my December. I half-heroically will squeeze carni days into my “baking all the time” (things I don’t want but they are still there if I get a weak hungry moment at night or something) and “December holiday season is about exotic fruits (in moderation)” times. I don’t feel very heroic as I basically just eat whatever I fancy and that’s definitely not carbs now. I welcome a short break from my usual amount of meat again (my little pork should be enough until Saturday anyway) but it doesn’t mean I actually want carbs. And definitely not simple sugars. And I have none from the only very low-carb, high protein plant item I am willing to eat very occasionally (we already ordered some. I vision emergencies and interesting experiments and anyway, Alvaro likes it sometimes).

But my first meal is very nearly always carnivore(-ish). So carni days will happen regularly as I make OMAD happen regularly and I definitely need them (or something super close, at least) at all times. But maybe I need to give up my ideas about this December. Oh mental things, I need some more change. My body is pretty much on board, it’s just obsolete preconceptions, mostly. Okay, I try to change things in my mind. Without feeling restricted. I hate that.

Sigh. Okay, I will aim to do 10 girlie push ups a day or hand release or both (on my level it’s HUGE). You make me face my high level of lameness when it comes to push ups. I can do exactly 0 normal ones and some girlie ones are only possible on a very soft surface. I can do plank for 5-10 seconds and then I just drop… My abs and core are barely able to make me walk, probably, I am sooo bad. (Not like I can or willing to do many squats. Like more than 3. My other muscle groups seems to be better.) So thanks, I always knew I must do such exercises but you keep reminding me and it wears me down. I am in my “let’s change my life” phase anyway so it’s good timing.

Very cute wings again, @Karen18! (And isn’t those packet of meats super cheap…?) I hope just as you never get bored of posting them and I never get bored of commenting them, you never will get bored of my praise either :wink:
I already got bored of shooting my own food, my photos aren’t so good anyway (and now not even sunshine :frowning: we weren’t outside today, not even Alvaro and he makes sure he has some exercise every day if possible, his figure, you know. he would hate eating even less) and whenever I have my food in front of me, I rather just eat it.
But I like seeing pretty food pics from everyone.
(And I will try to figure out how to make some interesting ones myself. I prefer macro photography so I should do that… Our macro lens can focus to something super close to it. It’s fun on plants, not really needed for food… But I do will try. Or learn from the AI and paint something non-realistic but still nice…)

(Megan) #40

@Fangs My heart sank reading about Bolt. I am so very sorry, such devastating news. Your poor kiddo and you. Your love for him shines through reading the effort you made finding something the wee fella will eat, it made my heart warm. I’m sure he feels better having a full tum, and the best kind of food for him too. I am with you in your soon to happen loss and send my warmest regards to you and your family.