TOTALLY exhausted 1 month in

(Christine) #1

I can’t make any sense of it. I am taking extra supplements, magnesium, potassium, omega 3. I drink a gallon of water a day that I salt. My start weight was 222 on December 30th. A month and 2 days later I’m 16 pounds down but can barely get out of my own way. It’s really bad. I’ve been sleeping 8 hours at night and napping for 3 hours a few hours after I wake and here it is 6:05pm and I could sleep til Sunday. I also took some electrolytes today. I am hypothyroid. I take 75mg levothyroxine. Things were fine up til this week. I did start taking some digestive enzymes pre and probiotics but I can’t imagine that being the reason. I just want to know if anyone else feels this way.
I love not being hungry. I only eat like once a day with a couple if almond snacks in between.
Anyone else?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Can you give us any more information? What are you eating, and how much. Are you only eating once a day because you just aren’t hungry? Have you thought about trying to do 2 meals a day, but maybe in a small eating window?

(Christine) #3

I am never hungry in the morning so I grab like 20 almonds around 11:30am and then eat my meal around 2:30 and am not hungry at all til the next day. I’m doing clean keto and my macros are
Calories 1353 Carbs 20 (I’m usually a few below) 83 protein 104 fat. For my main meal I make usually 2 cups riced cauliflower or broccoli with my protein. I usually meet my macros and most times have to fill in with a fat bomb. But I keep very close to them never exceeding my protein by no more than 1-5.
I’m losing and am happy with a that and love not being hungry… this TOTAL exhaustion started this week. I’m not a napper and now I can’t stay awake. I took some extra electrolytes today and felt a little better for a but but like I said I am wiped out again. I’m nit doing anything at all. I’m sort of sedentary but do ove a lot…I don’t even want to get up to pee these days.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

Have you thought about eating MORE? Maybe increase your fat.

I agree. That isn’t enough food for most people. I would also get your thyroid levels checked because I’ve seen keto affect those in both directions so you want to make sure you don’t need to adjust your dose to the diet

(Little Miss Scare-All) #6

I wish I had time for a 3 hour nap. #jealous

I love Keto, above all, because I can manage my hunger. I have an eating disorder, and spent years tryna curb my appetite through various means. Ive always worked out very hard, always lifted weights, physically active, but I would eat soooo much that all of my working out was overshadowed by the intake of bad food that made me feel awful and carb/sugar laden. Working out 5 days a week, hiking and all other manner of things, and somehow managed to put fat on. :rofl::rofl:

Keto has been a blessing. Ive been keto about a year, but got into a near fatal car accident in April and spent about 2 months eating whatever bad crap I wanted. Gained fat. Felt crap. But once I went back to Keto, it took me about 3 months to get that burst of energy everyone talks about.

1 month in is normal to still feel lethargic. Your body, on the inside, is busy using energy to figure out wtf youre doing to it. If you keep yourself in ketosis and keep doing it, one day you will wake up and just be out from that fog of lethargy. For real. It takes time and patience.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Yes, but she didn’t have the lethargy until recently. She stated it started this week, so I’m not sure the adaption process is to blame.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8

The body isn’t some linear thing. It’s just a normal part of the process from what Ive come to understand, witnessed in others, and witnessed in myself. The lethargy can easily just appear at any time before the body gets adapted. It just has to be worked through. Maybe she should add some calories, maybe not. Maybe her body only needs 1300 calories a day for a while. It takes time to learn to give your body what it requires and learn how to listen to signals.

It’s kind of like working overtime for weeks at a time, and at first youre ok with it, but it eventually catches up with you. Its a major bodily process to get, stay and keep yourself in ketosis.

It’s just not a weird or abnormal thing shes going through. Experiment. What else can I say? It sucks to be tired, but its part of the process, whether it happens week 1 or week 4. :woman_shrugging:

Hey Christine

Great work with the electrolytes that is an important part during adaptation. And you probably are still dietary adapting, it’s a continuous process, just much more adapting to do in the first few months. That’s a long way of saying that what you may be experiencing is most likely transient.

And tweaking that eating and dietary fat advice quoted, consider doing it with olive oil, coconut oil, or MCT oil made from coconut oil. Medium chain triglyceride.

It would be great to know more about the fats and fat quality you are eating. E.g. good to see you eat the almonds whole, rather than processed.

There was a talk with Dr. James DeNicolantonio, who is a PhD in pharmacology (?) where he discusses the observation of some people feeling tired on a ketogenic diet. It relates to the fats eaten and ratios of the types of fat eaten. The gist is that the medium chain monosaturated fats are used quickly for ketone generation and fuel rather than being stored. And that’s where people can feel energetic on a ketogenic diet.

And there always is the caveat that the exhaustion may be a symptom of something non-dietary (e.g
.viral, or immune mediated), so go and work with a physician to solve it if it persists.

Ref: it’s the interview on Biohackers Lab circa 2018.

Also: HWC v. Coconut oil .... why doesn't HWC work?

(Christine) #10

The only food I have in my house is EVOO, coconut oil and butter. I use those only. I only use organic almond flour, coconut flour. I’m talking I am doing this very clean. I think I’m going to up my caloric intake a bit to like 1500 calories. I use the app carb manager. The same thing keeps coming up and that’s getting to fat adaption. I’m an older woman 58 with an under active thyroid. I am losing great and hope this passes. I’m in it to win it! I’m making this my permanent lifestyle change. I just hope my body cooperates.

(John) #11

My experiences may not be applicable to you, but it seemed like my energy levels didn’t really stabilize until 6 weeks in, and it was probably 12 weeks before I truly felt “normal” all of the time.

(Christine) #12

No that actually helps a lot. I’m just looking to see if anyone else felt funky for longer than the normal google search which has it so simple. I really appreciate all your feed back. It’s weird… today was much better but my breath turned real funky.i know it’s keto breath. I also know this lifestyle and not nearly as cut and dry as like I said the normal google search. I will persevere. This forum has a lot of great stuff to read. I’m glad I found it. Now the breath thing… just tell me it goes away. :woman_facepalming:

It goes away.

It is a good indicator of body fat being used for energy.

But in early adaptation ketone bodies produced by the liver from fat are spilled in the urine and breath. Eventually cells adapt to using ketones for energy, those spill over ketones reduce to a more steady state. So less acetone gets breathed off, funky breath reduces.

The fact that you can smell the breath ketones is an interesting genetic indicator. Many people can not smell breath ketones. If you were a clinician or vet you could walk into a treatment room or barn and very quickly discern that there may be a diabetic in the same air space (or a ketogenic eater).