Tips on feeling hungry in first week or 2

(B Creighton) #21

I’ve had very little to no cravings on keto. Right after Christmas I had some of the stuff given to me, but after the first two days when it was gone, I went back to keto, and actually, I have not been hungry at all. However, I am going back to my regular workouts, and eating lots of protein. In fact on Thurs, after my yogurt, egg & cheese breakfast, I kind of forced myself to have a lunch(I don’t usually eat lunch), and then I didn’t really want dinner… I just felt full all afternoon, when all I had for lunch was a protein smoothie… Ok admittedly it was very high in protein, but just not really hungry at all. Saturday, the same thing. The hemp milk and avocado had a little fat… I don’t necessarily recommend a lot of meat protein unless you are trying to build muscle, but with just a little fat all that protein is very satiating. I use Orgain protein powder, some whey isolate, some BCAAs, etc, but you could just go with pea protein, if you aren’t working out, and you can make yourself feel full in all likelihood. In fact I have trouble eating all my of my protein goal amount. Peanut butter or peanuts are definitely too carby for me on keto. Occassionally, I will use about a cup of a nut mix I make for “lunch” during keto… well pistachios, pecans, and almonds, which I mix with raw sunflower seeds and unsweetened coconut and a few organic raisins… I have started adding hemp hearts as well. However, that mix is too carby to eat every day, but it does kill the snack pang I sometimes got my first year. Other things I did was to eat a grass-fed beef hot dog or beef sticks… I no longer used dried beef anymore,however, as I am to keep down my oxLDL. Prosciutto and cheese worked.

Don’t know what you had for breakfast, but I eat a high protein breakfast when doing keto. These days that is a home-made raw goat or A2 milk yogurt with xylitol and erythritol/monk sweetener and berries, followed by pastured eggs and A2 cheese or uncured bacon. That will typically hold me over to dinner. If that doesn’t work for you, try adding the protein smoothie I discussed for lunch… Then I am just not hungry.

Avoid all artificial sweeteners. Not only are they bad for you, but food tests indicate they can drive food cravings and weight gain. Aspartame creates some formaldehyde in the body. Sucralose kills off your gut microbiome as they try to digest it because it contains 3 chlorine atoms. In many people just the sweet taste causes the body to produce insulin in anticipation of the sugar rush, which will then cause blood sugar to drop and the hunger pangs and cravings.

Literally the worst two binge triggers for most people!

Of course you are! You didn’t eat anything! Get that protein up! Obviously, stay super hydrated, drink protein shakes, and don’t skimp on your meals, don’t over eat, but don’t under eat either.

Great way to combat both the soda cravings and carbonation helps appetite, some bash them becuse they think all artificial sweeteners are evil, but in reality they don’t screw with most people, but you mentioned bloating, which soda can make worse, depending on why you’re bloating to begin with.

You also said you expected bloating and constipation, why?

(Robin) #23

Eat when you are hungry… just eat the right things. If you are craving chocolate or chips or whatever… eat some fatty meat and the craving monster is satisfied. Further cravings are in your head, not your tummy.
Like everything else… It’s an inside job.

(MC) #24

Does stevia cause mitochondrial damage? I generally avoid anything sweet but found a keto ‘brownie’ recipe that’s basically microwaved yoghurt, baking powder and cocoa powder, with some stevia added, by Stephen Gundry. I’m trying out his mitochondrial uncoupling ideas.

(Bob M) #25

We’ve eaten things like that before. They can be pretty good if you’re looking for something somewhat sweet and like dessert, AND they don’t cause you to overeat or cause any ill effect.

(KM) #26

Hey, thanks! Dr. Steven R. Gundry, new name to me. Just checked out The Longevity Paradox, looks right up my alley!

Just updating, 4 weeks in and I honestly feel great.
No more sugar cravings or boredom cravings.
I stuck to as close to carnivore as I could for the first 2 weeks which really helped with the cravings (opposite to what you think as I thought on carnivore you would crave all other foods, you don’t!)
I’ve seen myself forget to eat because I’m literally not needing food, I was a constant grazer before.
I’m down 7 pounds but my clothes actually feel so much better on which is the main thing. My waist feels so much smaller

(Robin) #28

That is excellent news! Thanks for reporting back.
It’s rather amazing isn’t it?
You got this!