Tips for getting past a plateau

(Christopher Kornelsen) #21

Yes I tried eat when hungry but I find when I do 2 meals and 8 hour window it doesnt matter I usually get hungry during the 16 hours. So either I simply eat or I stick to the IF. Maybe that will change the more I get adapted? I feel 3 months is a long time to not be adapted hH

I agree whole heartedly. I did BP Coffee for a while. This is a hold up for sure. It doesn’t help at all, even if you don’t gain you won’t lose.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #23

My concern last month was sustainability. I am not the type of person that can just eat for nutrients. I love food I love taste I live one life why would I subject myself to limiting my range kd taste and joy and pleasure when I dont have to? So I experimented and found out there is alot of tasty stuff. But I will definktly try your advice out to get my body to the weight it’s supposed to be then go into maintenance mode:) thank you

I’d encourage you to read Dr. Fung’s fasting book. IF is not very effective for your goals. It has to be more than 24 hours for fasting to really be effective.

(Robert C) #25

If your issue is insulin resistance, you are obese and suffering from pretty severe health problems (as Dr. Fung’s patients tend to be) then EF might be the only thing that is effective to reverse that in a reasonable amount of time.

If your issue is simply a love of food and you can’t knock off the snacking - then IF (at 2 meals a day - no snacking) might be very effective (and EF might be overkill - simply leading to compliance issues.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #26

@MTullius I respect your diligence in finding your stall issues and getting through them.

But you have to remember that what works for you may not be necessary for everyone. There are many paths leading to the same place. I have modified my eating habits, mixing it up all the time and avoiding a groove where I eat the same stuff everyday. I lost 10 lbs in 4 days eating nothing but BPC with Butter and MCT oil, I even drank shot glasses sometimes, ate pure pork fat lightly fried and nibbled on butter. Anywhere from 800-1100 calories of fat daily during the Fat Fast. Some days I eat only animal products.

I broke a two month stall doing this. I regained all the weight in a week but a few days later started loosing again with my normal eating. I make a pizza now and then or a quick keto bun if I want it. That was all in July and now I have dropped all ten pounds again. I am eating lots of cheese, ground meat and eggs right now and not much vegetables because of oral surgery, and I loose weight almost daily now eating sometimes 4-5 oz. of cheese a day. I do many things contrary to your way of eating and I am getting quite lean doing it.

I have lost over 50 lbs in less than one year, 25% of my weight starting out. I am loosing the last bit of extra fat now and could be considered in maintenance but I don’t see it that way because I am working on body composition now and not weight loss. I gave up Cream in coffee but still use butter, cheese and sour cream. I am 60 and I have had massive improvements in my health issues. And IF has been very effective for reaching my goals, I haven’t skipped a day of eating the whole year of ketogenic eating. 18/6 is working great for me. I do follow some of Dr. Fung’s advice and use an early eating window, breakfast and a mid afternoon smaller second meal to keep insulin as low as I can while sleeping. I don’t usually eat after 3pm.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Christopher Kornelsen) #27

I maybe was obese but nkt anymore. And by no means am I addicted any longer I simply love tasty foods that wint ever end. Haha

Correct. The vast majority of people with serious weight to lose at the very least have insulin resistance. You don’t have to be particularly sick, just insulin resistant, to benefit from EF for improving resistance and for weight loss. If weight loss is a goal then EF is a powerful tool. If you can’t comply with a moderate EF regime, it obviously won’t work for you.

Great to see a different perspective. You have to figure out what works for you. If David’s approach works for you that’s great. It didn’t for me, but once you work through various stages we all want health and healthy body fat percentage at the end of the day. There are a lot of people who have found that what I did worked for them. (I followed in the footsteps of lots of experimenters like Kirk Wolak @CaptainKirk who shared tons of info in here and IDM forum). Read Kirk’s @CaptainKirk posts about plateaus. I suppose it depends on body type and context.

(George) #30

I find that keeping my food simple, eating 1x/day, and weekly fasts of 48-60 hours is what keeps my weight moving along. 297 in January 219 today.

I don’t really snack, nor do I have anything baked, or fat bombs, or stuff like that. Just meat, eggs, cheese, avocados, green olives, some leafy greens here and there, and zero carb condiments.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Another thing that helps resolve insulin resistance is exercise. Exercise also promotes mitochondrial health, which boosts the metabolism. It won’t cause you to lose fat, but it can help keep it off. It also builds muscles and strengthens bones.