This Fermented Vegetable May Help

(Troy) #1

And the survey Says😉

Made me hungry
Good for some For sure!

For me,
I’m just thinking of classic corned beef ONLY And not sauerkraut
Meat :smile:

I love fermented cabbage (the real stuff, not canned) and kimchi. Who knows. It might be helpful.

(Bunny) #3

From what I understand fermented foods like cabbage and others is also supposed to be a good way to break-a-fast (re-feeding syndrome?) of the sudden and massive shift in digestive enzymes and potential loss of electrolytes could result in death depending on the length of the fast?

You can even drink Apple Juice[4] during a fast in German health clinic retreats[4], probably stemming from a much older and arcane way of fasting which can be 9 days or more?

Just because you drink something during a fast (or even eat something) does not mean it will necessarily interfere with the 5 phases of autophagy and 3 different types. Do we think autophagy just suddenly stops just because we ate or drink something? I think not?

Footnotes:

[1] What happens in refeeding syndrome?

Refeeding syndrome is a serious and potentially fatal complication of nutritional rehabilitation in patients with severe anorexia nervosa. It occurs in significantly malnourished patients when a diet of increasing calories is initiated orally, by nasogastric (NG) tube and/or delivered intravenously. …More

[2] “…Re-feeding syndrome occurs when the severely malnourished individual begins to increase their caloric intake either voluntarily or through a feeding tube or intravenous line. In a starvation state the body usually breaks down fats and proteins into energy because carbohydrates are depleted first in starvation. …” …More

[3] What are the symptoms of refeeding syndrome?

Some of the symptoms include:

• Severe hypophosphatemia (<0.4 mmol/L): CHF, arrhythmias, confusion, seizures
• Severe hypomagnesemia (<0.4 mmol/L): arrhythmias, tachycardia, diarrhea, seizures, hypocalcemia
• Severe hypokalemia (<2.5 mmol/L): ileus, cardiac arrest, arrhythmias, paralysis, respiratory depression
• Fluid excess (i.e. rapid weight gains, changes in serum sodium, increased blood pressure and pulse)
• Hyperglycemia

Who is at risk of developing refeeding syndrome?

People at risk include patients with protein-energy malnutrition, alcohol abuse, anorexia nervosa, prolonged fasting, no nutritional intake for seven days or more, and significant weight loss. There are also studies that indicate the refeeding syndrome may develop after as little as 48 hours with no nutritional intake. …” …More

[4] What Nine Days Of Fasting Does To Your Body And Brain “…What happened when we sent Esquire’s gluttonous food editor to a German health clinic for a fast, with instructions to keep a hunger diary? Put down your knives and forks and get ready for an unexpected epiphany …” Esquire Magazine

closed #4