These continuous ketone monitors are going to change how we think about ketones

(Mark Rhodes) #21

@ctviggen My blood sugars dropped to 38mg/dl during an extended fast. I felt fine and thought well to bump them up I will go work out. They came back to 56 mg/dl an then evened out at 60.

Funny thing is as my ketones leveled out my sugars have too. They stay higher. Sometimes I can hit a 5.9 A1C but witha fasting insulin of 2.1 uIU/ml so I hav eno concerns. Lots of red meat, lots of lifting. I think Bikman is correct when he says hemoglobin stays alive longer in people who eat plenty of red meat and as such would skew the A1C meaning

(Doug) #22

Mon, if youā€™re feeling okay, I think below 3 is great. :slightly_smiling_face: People are different - some start feeling faint/bad at 3.9/70, or 2.8/50, but some donā€™t notice any ill effects at even far lower levels.

Thereā€™s the famous case of Angus Barbieri, he of the 382 day fast. One day, checking in at the hospital that was monitoring him, his blood sugar was 0.9 mmol/L or 17 mg/dL. Heā€™d been walking around the city, going about his daily activities, and felt fine. :open_mouth:

Thatā€™s obviously extremely low, but it shows what is possible. I figure he was running on ketones to just about the maximum possible extent, and didnā€™t need all that much sugar in his blood.

I fasted for 5 days once, and was disappointed with a blood sugar of 5/90. Curses on insulin resistanceā€¦ :rage::wink:

Thank you for your reply. I decided to have some foods. Started with home made chicken broth. I will see how I feel. Never been this low. But I do appreciate that the monitors and not very accurate.

(Bob M) #24

I didnā€™t know he said that, though I can believe it. Especially since red meat has a lot of available iron and thereā€™s likely a relationship between red blood cells and iron.

By the way, your fasting insulin is impressively low. Mine still is >10 most days. Donā€™t get it measured often enough though.