The 3 variables to weight loss/gain

That’s all fine, Bill, and I am sincerely sorry about your sister dealing with hypothyroidism. I know it’s probably well-managed and all, and she doesn’t require anyone’s sympathy, but chronic disease sucks and I hope she continues to be successful managing it.

No one is saying CICO isn’t part of the puzzle, we’re mostly saying it’s a relatively rather small part of the puzzle, while you appear to be saying it’s much bigger. That’s all. I honestly don’t see how your examples refute what I’ve said about the problem of oversimplifying cause-and-effect relationships, and maybe you didn’t intend them to. And I’m not one to argue for argument’s sake (most of the time :rofl:), so I’ll just wish you the best of luck!

(Bill C) #223

Thanks, she is doing well.

Neither of us knows with certainty what degree CICO is reflective of weight loss/gain. Logic tells me it is a pretty big factor for most healthy people. But I think we have gotten hung up on CICO or #1 in my OP. If you go back and look at the OP, what I was most interested in was what experiences people have had regarding stalls. Frankly, I don’t care if someone is right or wrong. I AM interested in real data that people can express that corroborates their views. Otherwise, they are just opinions.

(Bill C) #224

From founder and currently Executive Editor of Science-Based Medicine Steven Novella, MD is an academic clinical neurologist at the Yale University School of Medicine:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/calories-in-calories-out/

(Running from stupidity) #225

So you’re saying he’s a captured academic, then?

(Edith) #226

All I can say about what he wrote is to reiterate what I said in my original post in this thread: I did ALL the things he mentioned about how to lose weight and/or maintain it, but my weight crept up anyway. For me, CICO did not work until I ate low carb.

Also, just because he cites one or two studies that fit his point of view doesn’t mean there aren’t two studies someone else could find to show the opposite. That’s the problem with nutrition science. Again, it boils down to finding what works for you.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #227

I understand that. Obviously, we don’t have to accept obesity as the norm. But, in my case, for instance. I was 100 pounds when I was eighteen. It was cute and healthy and me. If I were to attempt that now, at 60, I would look like an anorexic prune. I don’t know your age, but we are going to have a bit more on us as we get older. I know a lady my age that weighs 100 pounds, and one’s first impression is: “What stuff is she doing?” I am just saying, you look like you don’t need to lose any more weight. But with your carb intake - why are you interested in keto?

(Cynthia Anderson) #228

I lost and kept off around 40 lbs with cico.

Perhaps my approach was different than most.

I used to severely overeat. Example a half gallon of ice cream with magic shell and sunflower seeds.

I severely cut back on stress and bored eating. I seriously cut back junk food. I greatly reduced the calories I drank then began drinking only water.

I cut back bread to save calories.
Quit corn and chose green beans or carrots instead.

So basically I cut a whole bunch of carbs because of them having high calories.
I wanted to save my calories for real food.

Until starting keto and learning more about how many carbs most people ate I didn’t realize what I did thru cico.

I went low carb way before I went keto.

I’m keto because it does get old playing the calories guessing game.
Also I read keto is good for stubborn belly fat.

I was obese for several years. About a year ago I became overweight but just 5 lbs shy of obese.

Since starting keto I’ve lost 10 lbs.
Better than that though clothes that used to be too small fit.

(Bill C) #229

That’s awesome, Cynthia.

I concur in that the diet needs to be viewed from not only a keto perspective but a caloric perspective as well.

All ideas can be taken to their extreme and many times that translates into problems long term.

(Bill C) #230

Stalled at 184ish for 4 days now, after having stalled at 189ish for several days. Same routine. Expect a decent drop within a couple of days. We’ll see.

First eat around 1PM after earlier workout. 60g whole milk mozzarella. Two eggs. Lean pork medallion. Taste of salsa. Mid-afternoon homemade split pea soup. Some walnuts or almonds for snacks. Dinner, mixed veggies, some chicken and sometimes with some rice. Watermelon after. Or some variant.

Always works out to about 2000 calorie deficit. Stay in ketosis almost all the time. Only one time I got as low as .3.

If it ain’t broke…

(bulkbiker) #231

I’ll just drop this here…

(Wendy) #232

Beautifully explained!

(TJ Borden) #233

I hadn’t seen this one before. Thanks for sharing @MarkGossage. FANTASTIC

(bulkbiker) #234

hot off the presses… only released today although you may see me in the audience if you have really good eyesight (I couldn’t spot me…!)

(Bill C) #235

Yeah, really odd how CICO is promoted when it doesn’t work.

Oh, by the way, 177.6 lbs today after 29 days, down 20.2 lbs. Have been recording all calories in and all calories out. I’m sure it is just a coincidence that the number of calories I have consumed and the number of calories I have burned is almost exactly tied to the number of pounds I have lost. I’m sure there is no correlation but I think I’ll continue what I am doing just for the heck of it.

5 lbs away from target weight of 172. Should hit it within the 40 day plan.

(Bill C) #236

And just who is this Zoe Harcombe. Well…

(TJ Borden) #237

Yeah @MarkGossage, what’s up with that. Clearly a reputable source like Carbsanity, which has a completely unbiased position on the matter, can be trusted with their critique…even if it is debunked within its own comment section. :rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #238

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Bill C) #239

Starting weight 30 days ago 197. Total net deficit calories burned over this period of time 58,230. 58,230 divided by 3500 calories equals 16.64 lbs. I weighed 180.2 this morning when I got up. After working out swimming and running was down to 176.2. But the only weight that matters is when you first weigh yourself when you get up.

I keep hearing how CICO is BS, that it doesn’t work, etc. After 30 days of working out and carefully watching what I eat and recording everything, I am within a quarter pound of what CICO says I should be. I find this remarkably accurate.

(Frank) #240

:star:

I’m delighted for you (actually, really, I am - it’s great to see someone find a good path).

And if your takeaway from all of our comments above is that we think counting calories can never work, then you’re really not paying attention.

In any case, glad it’s working for you! Congrats.