Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(Chris W) #61

I recently went ZC for 3 weeks with increased protein. According to my Ketonix, I was only in ketosis part of the time with bigger protein meals stopping ketosis for several hours. I would check with the meter just before you eat the meal that breaks your fast for the day and see if it shows anything. It is possible that you got a meter than DOES properly differentiate between acetone and alcohol.

(roxanna) #62

I got the same one that the person who started this thread bought! Yes I was wondering about the timing. I tested when I got it at 4pm (and had eaten at noon). I tested this morning at 6:30am (after no food since 6pm the night before). Iā€™ve always eaten higher protein because I work out a lot but have been adjusting my workout schedule, so maybe I need to look at reducing the protein to see? I still have the breath/metallic mouth, smelly pee, lack of hungry/cravings, better sleep, ability to fast, etc. etc. Itā€™s so interesting!

Test it after drinking alcohol. You may have a dud.

The only reliability issue Iā€™ve had with mine is I need to wait a while before retesting (seems the sensor isnā€™t clear so it calibrates incorrectly. perhaps shaking it would fix for me).

(Lillian Jane Jay Neal) #64

I ordered a Ketonix weeks ago, paid for the 5 day shippingā€¦never heard a single thing out of them. I Facebook messaged, called (no answer), left a voice mail several times, and finally got a response via email. The response was that the Ketonix were held up in Pilidelphia with the immigration inspection. No telling when I will get it. I might just cancel my order and order the cheap one. If I knew how to read it, it would help.

(Lillian Jane Jay Neal) #65

Which brand do you have?

(gooeykablooey) #66

Itā€™s so cheap it didnā€™t even have a brand! Came in a plastic bag with the extra tips and instructions (straight from factory in China) I found it by searching breathalyzer in ebay then setting the filters to price ā€œlow to highā€ and ā€œbuy it nowā€ buying option. It looks like this (there are hundreds of listing for it)

This little chain at the bottom is a keychain

Hereā€™s the one I bought:

Iā€™m not sure about the one @Lolo bought as the conversion from g/l to %BAC appears to be incorrect (including the wrong ratio g/l, and wrong capitalisation of liters). It should read mg/L. 0.1 mg/L is .02 %BAC according to the normal conversion. In any case itā€™s measuring something other than zero so still fit for purpose. Perhaps Iā€™m missing something.

Iā€™ve got the same problem. They were knowingly taking orders (and money) for products they didnā€™t have. Iā€™m at a month now and probably canceling. Something seems fishy about their story, theyā€™re registered ā€œmedical devicesā€ which means there is all types of paperwork and pre-approval stuff done on the back end to get them into the country. Minus a random cargo search something is wrong with their whole story. Only problem I see with using a cheap breathalyzer is their not calibrated the same as a ketonix would be. Iā€™d love to see the results of somebody with both though.

(roxanna) #69

I tested it with alcohol. Definitely not a dud :slight_smile:

Customs is often an unpredictable beast. Iā€™ve seen things go through very quickly, and other things held up for months with no real explanation. Could be new policies, or could just be luck of the draw.

(Christopher John Howson) #71

Probably!

(Christopher John Howson) #72

Ah!
Iv read about this and jimmy Moore has done it on his show.

I wonder what the corr platoon is between breath ā€œalcoholā€ and breath ketones?
I.e. Is 0.5 alc 1mmol ketones?

Iā€™ve looked into this question of conversion. Thereā€™s many issues.

First is to know what the original measure is on the device. Iā€™ve been using mg/L. Itā€™s important because the Mmol conversion factor for alcohol is different to that of acetone. So if you start with the wrong interpreted value it will be wrong in the end.

Second is that there is no guarantee that acetone in the breath correlates with blood ketones at all. Seems it doesnā€™t. So you could only work out Mmol of breath ketones.

If run some figures on my device but they donā€™t really make sense yet and Iā€™m refining the formulas. It would help if people posted their own data.

I can post my current calculations if their are any otherathematicians here wanting to solve the equations. My problem is that my result values are a factor of 10 different to the ketonix ranges. Given the ketonix just this year changed their units Iā€™m also curious if perhaps it was the ketonix that was mistaken by a factor of 10. Iā€™m still learning all this stuff.

Weird. Mine shows non zero values regularly. Assuming our devices are indeed the same that leaves basically one possibility: you arenā€™t in ketosis. I guess another possibility is that the devices look the same but actually arenā€™t.

If you donā€™t want yours you could send it to me and Iā€™ll compare. I am thinking of buying a second one anyway to establish variability and quality of results.

(Roxanne) #75

Actually a second possibility is that your device is erroneously showing false positives :slight_smile: Iā€™m not saying it is, and in fact I hope itā€™s not because I like the idea of a cheap gizmo to confirm ketosis. Do your results vary much, and have tested to see how it responds to alcohol?

(roxanna) #76

Yes, I could possibly not be in ketosis but like I said, I get 5 carbs a day (total), eating zero carb, have all the signs of ketosis - only thing that could be kicking me out Iā€™d think is protein and I usually get about 130 grams a day. Iā€™ll keep checking.

Stress, lack of sleep, and illness can also kick us out of ketosis.

My device consistently reports ketosis for me and not for my partner. I havenā€™t tested it with alcohol. I will tonight.

(roxanna) #78

Iā€™m going to try to restrict my protein a bit to see what happens. Iā€™ll go for 100 grams which I think is about .8 for my lbm. I just donā€™t know if I count the pork rinds protein?

I finally had a drink last night but forgot to use the meter. Ooops

(roxanna) #80

I cleaned my fitbit with rubbing alcohol and tested right after not realizing that would set it off :slight_smile: