Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(Lesley) #506

That’s interesting to me because I have noticed in the past few months that whenever I go through phases of having yogurt for lunch every day I don’t see any weight loss and then when I stop the yogurts I do. Even though my carbs in total for the day do be very low.

I will have to do some testing again with the little machine and yogurt to see if any connection. How soon after eating the meal did you test again?

Maybe an hour give or take

(Lesley) #508

Ooo that seems quite fast. I’m definitely going to be experimenting more.

Hey @KetoWally, I tested again when I got home from work and got 0. I went for a 3 mile run and tested, got 0. It may have been confounded by lunch as I probably got too much protein. It was our department Thanksgiving lunch. I helped myself to the fattiest dark turkey, ham, and gravy with a little tossed salad but I’m thinking between that and the yogurt I pushed it.

Anyway, after a nice green salad with fats (mushrooms cooked in butter and avocado oil poured on) and some bacon to snack on at supper I just retested and I’m back up to .14! I tested twice to be sure.
I love the yogurt but I’m going to have to think about whether I want to eat it very often.
Let me know if you figure anything out. I may retest before the open yogurt container I have needs to be tossed but not sure.

(Damon Chance) #510

Definitely make sure that you are getting a good test breath… I used to have problems with 0’s when I otherwise should be in ketosis and it came down to my breath.

Yeah, it took me having this thing for a while before I was able to routinely get a result. I’m not sure if that was because I was still adapting, most likely as I’m only about 6 weeks or so in.

Ok, to confound things further I now do not believe it was the yogurt (yay!). This morning I got up and tested .13 as usual then I tested later in the morning after not having eaten, just had some BPC… 0.00. Tested 3 times to be sure.
Hmmm… so I went and had my sausage and egg breakfast, waited a little bit and tested again: .13.

Weird but nice to know that I don’t have to toss Greek yogurt out and can have it as an occasional treat.

Good luck!

(Lesley) #513

Hahah, Glad to hear it wasn’t the yogurt :yum: Lovely stuff. Does seem like it was just a blip with the breathalyzer. I do get pretty consistent readings, but then I make sure I’m almost no breath then blow. Good luck to you too @barefootbob

Not sure. The only carbs I had before the 0 test this morning would have been the 1 gram or so in the cacao I put in the BPC and had no protein yet. It could just be an oddball thing but glad to know I’m still in ketosis.

(Damon Chance) #515

Replace the batteries and see if that helps with the repeatability.

(Todd Allen) #516

If by 0.13 you mean 0.13 % BAC then I think your zero readings are in error. By all 3 of my breathalyzers 0.13% is a high reading that I only reach when fasting for a day or more and also always have high blood ketones at the same time - not saying others can’t hit this level without fasting, just that I eat too much carbs and protein when I’m eating to sustain such high levels. And just as it takes me a day or more to reach such a high level, regardless of what I eat it takes many hours to a day or more for my readings to come back down to my typical level of 0.03%.

Two of my 3 meters though are sensitive to breathing technique. To get a consistent reading with them I watch the warm up count down and start exhaling a couple seconds before it is ready, continue exhaling for a couple more seconds and then bring the meter to my lips and continue exhaling the air out of the bottom of my lungs at a slow steady pace. If the reading is lower than expected I will wait a few minutes before trying again as repeated back to back attempts seem to interfere with getting a good reading. Though this only applies to 2 of my meters, the 3rd - the cheapest…, is fairly bullet proof and gives consistent results regardless of how I breath or how frequently I use it.

Mine is pretty touchy, I checked a little bit ago and got my normal, then rechecked and got 0, even with new batteries. I’m not going to worry too much about it but it’s nice validation when I can get it to work.

This is my normal reading when it works. I just took this a bit ago and am not fasting.

(Todd Allen) #519

Strange that your readings can bounce between 0.13 % BAC and zero. Are you ever getting readings in between?

I’d typically be at 3 to 5 mmol/L blood ketones when hitting that high on my breath meters. When not fasting I target 0.5 mmol/L blood and I’m usually in that range when I’m at 0.03 % BAC.

No it’s pretty much this or .14. I think some of it is technique as I can get it one minute then retest right after and get 0. I tried to take a picture earlier but the unit turned off before I could get the pic right so I retested and got 0. So I tried a few more times, playing with the technique and got this a few minutes later.
I’ll try again a little later tonight then retest in the morning. The first thing in the morning test is usually best.

I consistently get readings in the .11-.13%BAC range but during my Fast last week it went up to .15. My normal reading on the mg/l mode is .56 but this morning even after a day of eating after my fast I still got a .76!
When I get a 0.0 I assume it’s an error and redo it or come back later and try again.

(Dan Dan) #522

My AT6000 has performed very well, better than expected.
My average is .11 - .12 BAC with a low of .10 and high of .13.
My Breath method is fogging the mirror or HAA Breath which comes from the bottom of the lungs.

Here is my research on converting BAC to ppm and nmol/L :

There are two formulas for ppm not sure which one Ketonix uses.
(Ketonix apparently uses different metrics for the each model.)

Convert BAC to ppm and nmol/L:
ppm = BAC x 100/2 (or ppm = BAC x 100)
nmol/L = ppm x 40

Example: Using a BAC Of 0.11
0.11 x 100 / 2 = 5.5 ppm
5.5 x 40 = 220 nmol/L
or
0.11 x 100 =11ppm
11 x 40 = 440 nmol/L

Acetone/ketones in your breath (New Ketonix):
BLUE : 0 - 4 PPM : Low
GREEN : 4 - 30 PPM : Nutritional Range
YELLOW : 30 - 80 PPM : High Ketosis
RED : above 80 PPM : Very High Ketosis

Acetone/ketones in your breath (Old Ketonix):
Blue - : 0-150 nmol/L : none or trace
Green - : 150-400 nmol/L : low
Yellow - : 400-930 nmol/L : medium
Red - : 930+ nmol/L : high

Blue - : 0 – 5 ppm : none or trace
Green - : 5 – 10 ppm : low
Yellow - :10 – 20 ppm : medium
Red - : 0 – 40 ppm : high

Blue - : 0 – 0.5 ppm : none or trace
Green - : 0.5 – 3.9 ppm : low
Yellow - : 4.0 – 15 ppm : medium
Red - : 15 ppm + : high

Thank You Everyone :grin:

(Lesley) #523

@Dan_Dan This is brilliant. Thanks for the conversions. I regularly blow the same readings as you (same model). I love my little toy. I just use it mainly for a simple yes or no answer to ketosis and didn’t worry about the actual figures. But this is food for thought :wink:

(Dan Dan) #524

@KetoWally Your Welcome , I love mine too and its great to know I’m in Nutritional Ketosis Range.

(Lee Jones) #525

Now that I’ve added intermittent fasting into my way of eating I’m finding my BAC never gets higher than 0.07.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Should I be concerned?