Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(G. Andrew Duthie) #182

Feeling a bit peckish, but I’m probably going to push through until the morning at a minimum, and see how I’m feeling from there. If I’m feeling good in the morning, I’ll continue, but listening for my body to tell me when it’s time to eat.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #183

Still hovering in the 0.4-0.5 range. So definitely in ketosis, but not showing as high a reading as I’ve seen during previous fasts.

EDIT: Just tested again, and showing 0.6. So I think my earlier surmise that my meter might be busted was incorrect, and sloppy habits just kicked me into no/shallow ketosis.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #184

72 or so hours in, and I’m up to 0.7.

So I’m definitely gonna say the meter is fine. Just took me a bit longer to bump up to that level during this fast. Might be that the difference last time is that I was doing a fat-supplemented fast. So perhaps I was taking advantage of some of that fat input to make up for what I couldn’t provide from my own supply.

Thanks again, @yogipete, for starting this thread. While it may not be as precise as a blood ketone meter, the breathalyzer at least provides some useful data, and it’s a heck of a lot cheaper. :slight_smile:

(Todd Allen) #185

Congrats on keeping the fast going. It shouldn’t make a difference but I get satisfaction from watching the meter numbers creep up and it gives me motivation to keep going. Using the meters I’m starting to get a better sense of all the factors that drive my ketones up and down and nothing beats fasting for driving ketones up. Although vigorous exercise is pretty good too.

My pleasure. I’m glad most are getting some good use out of these meters. I have kind of forgotten about the thread as I simply use my meter throughout the day. Sometimes I get a dud result and I simply shrug and try a little later.

I’m trying a different technique now.

I usually blow 0.20 to 0.25 mg/L

(G. Andrew Duthie) #187

Can you elaborate?

Interestingly, I just tested again, and got a 0.9g/l, which I believe is the highest I’ve ever seen on this meter.

Fasting, FTW!

(Don Marcus) #188

I do think your protein is a bit high based on Dr Nally’s breakdown. He’s found a woman of 5’ needs 45.5g protein per day with an additional 2.3g for each inch over 5’. If you workout intensely 5 days a week off at least an hour you can times that result by 1.4 for your total max protein. If you’re high on protein it’ll knock you out of ketosis by changing the excess protein to glucose and producing an insulin response.

Sorry for delay. I’m just trying what brownfat suggested of wrapping lips around it.

I’m wondering whether we should expect consistent acetone in breath while in ketosis? It seems to me I either blow .20-.25mg/L or I blow 0. My non-ketogenic partner never blows over 0 so I’m fairly confident of not getting false-positives now. I’m not sure how to check for false-negatives without another meter. I should purchase one. So much on my plate right now (haha… not food).

(Crow T. Robot) #190

I was having a hard time getting anything other than 0.0 and when I did, it was kind of low 0.1 or 0.2. The low numbers might have been legit from time to time, but not 0.0. Anyway, I found that blowing right to the end of the 10 seconds appeared to be causing the 0.0 readings. I stop after 6 seconds and now get a reading every time.

Not sure of why it is that way, but there you go.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #191

Very interesting. I’ve been hitting 0.0 of late, but if I run a second attempt immediately following without blowing at all, it is usually 0.2 to 0.4. Will have to try your technique.

Wow! I’ll try that too.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #193

Seems to work for me, too.

(jilliangordona) #194

Mine just came today… no Reading. I will try again tomorrow after fasting to see if it’s the meter or I am out of ketosis.

Thanks so much for the 6 second tip Chris. My meter is working for me every time now. I was concerned that the reading wouldn’t be accurate so I tried a few 5 second, 7 second and 8 second reads and still got the same reading everything time (within .02). So I’m very happy.

I might edit my original post with this information as I consider it so useful.

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s time to click that “summarise this topic” button at the top of the thread. I’ve never done a summary on this platform. Are there any real good examples of what kind of summary works best?

(Gary Eckman) #197

Thanks @yogipete. Just ordered same model from Ebay :grinning: I cannot wait to try it out and see the results! What a great find!

(Amy pettis) #198

Forgive me if this question was already answered, but is it safe to assume you are in ketosis when your breath produces the acetone necessary to register on one of the cheap breathalyzers? I’m curious as to how quickly acetone fails to register on a breathalyzer if you kick yourself out of ketosis? Specifically, is it similar to the process of testing ketones via urine in that you can fall out ketosis and still see levels of ketones in your urine as your body is depleted of them?

(Crow T. Robot) #199

Happy to be of service :grinning:

(roxanna) #200

So I’ve posted a couple times about never getting a reading even though I was eating almost 0 carbs. I tried the 6 second thing and got a reading!! 0.20. Yay! I have never tested before but not sure what the numbers mean but it’s nice to actually see some!

I bought one and it came this afternoon. I used the 6 second tip and blew 0.03. Yeah! I am excited to see how it changes with time fasting. I am currently at 22.5 hours. Oh, and that reading is after. 2 days feasting including my birthday and a family reunion. Happy dancing!!!