Stressed

newbies

(AJ) #1

I have been keto since April of 2019 (not too long), and have had great results! Until… I became really stressed. My insulin spiked- well is high for me. Usually my average glucose is about 93mg/ dL. My ketones stay about .4-.7. I have a meter and try to test both ketones and glucose several times a day. My stress comes from three areas. I am selling my current house and the contents of my father’s house (so we can renovate and move in) and I teach high school. Needless to say, right now I am really stressed and it is reflected in my glucose and ketones readings. Which are averaging About 109 mg/dL glucose and .2 for ketones. My question is how in the world do I manage my stress so my glucose goes down and my ketones will return to my normal state! Oh did I mention I have two kids involved in middle school sports! Since trying to sell our house and renovate my Dad’s- I have noticed my glucose and ketones respond negatively. I’m still eating the same foods as before the stress and logging them with Fitness Pal. I was not insulin resistant before going keto, but I do believe I was headed in that direction and have lost 40 lbs with Keto. I need keto, but I’m worried about my higher glucose levels. Should I just keep on pushing through for the 2-3 months until we get settled or can I do something now? Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your success so far! For the stress, I think it’s the usual: prioritize sleep as much as you can, find ways during the day to breath calmly for even a few minutes. Maybe make each drive to/from the kids’ sports a chance to ground yourself and let it be a time that you don’t talk or think about the houses or teaching.
And tell yourself that this will pass soon! In the meantime, eating well through this time will be very good for you :slight_smile:

(Susan) #3

I think that @Madeleine 's advice is excellent.

If you ever have the opportunity, I would try to make a little time for yourself, reading a book, having a nice relaxing bath, going for a nice walk, etc. just to help you de-stress a bit. Sleep is definitely important during this time.

Best wishes with the sale of your home and the renovations on your dad’s house, and I would just continue on your Keto journey and try to relax when you can (I KNOW that this is easier said then done! Believe me, I know from experience!) but try to take a bit of “Me” time and just be calm and Keto on =).

(Marianne) #4

My advice would be to ditch the ketone and glucose meters as these are just two more areas that may be stressing you that aren’t really necessary to know (at least to me). I know many people find it helpful and want to know, but I view it as another way to obsess about what is going on with my plan and within my body, and then questioning if I am “doing it right,” or “what am I doing wrong” kind of thing. When I gave up “dieting,” and switched to the keto WOE, I was so happy to just eat, live my life and not think about food, measuring, weight, etc.

If you are eating cleanly and within the keto guidelines, you will be in ketosis. If you are getting less than 20 g carbs/day (total, if you can), then you shouldn’t have extreme insulin spikes of any concern.

Good luck with all you have going on!

(Bob M) #5

When I was wearing my CGM (continuous glucose monitor), doing a lot of housework/house construction kept my blood glucose higher than normal. Normally, my blood glucose is highest at about 11am-noon, then goes down all day. I could start around 100 and end up at 80 or lower. With this work, however, my blood glucose would stay or be higher even at 11am-noon, and be higher even at night.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing, necessarily. Your body is doing what it thinks it needs to do to give you the energy you need. (It’s still unclear why say ketones don’t go higher and blood sugar lower, but that’s not what happens.)

This rise is blood sugar is unrelated to stress.

Stress is troubling, and can also cause issues. If there’s anyway to reduce it, do it. This could include meditating, taking breaks, playing an instrument, seeing a movie, etc.

If you’re really concerned, it is possible to do a limited number of things to lower blood sugar. You can take apple cider vinegar before bed, for instance. If you drink alcohol, one glass of wine in the evening will help lower blood sugar. (Though its affect on weight loss isn’t great.) You could take zinc, which has similar properties.

(AJ) #6

Thank you. I am still encouraged, just tired. Keeping things in perspective is key!

(AJ) #7

Your are so right about “me” time! It is easier said than done. :blush:. I do look forward to the time when this will be a memory to reflect on. I do need to make sure I am sleeping and making time for quality keto food vs. junk keto foods. Which I am guilty. Thank you!

(Bunny) #8

That is excellent (.2 .4 .7) for fat burning, why would you want higher ketones[1][2]?

The only reason you would want them higher is if you have cancer?

Ketone Charts

References:

[1]“…You will likely have some blood ketones in your bloodstream when your blood glucose levels are low, but they may not be at the levels that many consider to be ‘optimal ketosis’. As shown in the chart below, if your blood glucose levels are at 4.5mmol/L or 80 mg/dL then you you might expect blood ketone levels to be somewhere between 0.3 and 0.7mmol/L. If your blood sugars are at 4.9mmol/L or 88 mg/dL your ketones might be somewhere between 0.4 and 1.1 mmol/L. …”

[2] “…While measuring ketones can be interesting, they tend to be a much noisier measurement. As the glucose in your blood reduced your body will be forced to turn to your body fat stores, so you will increase your fat burning. Part of the reason that you may not see high levels of ketones in your blood though is that they are being used efficiently for fuel and not backing up in your bloodstream. So if you have limited funds for test strips and don’t want to be pricking yourself too often then I would focus on blood glucose levels. …” …” …More

High stress burns through the B vits - you didn’t mention if you’re eating ancestral keto or modern keto - but eating animals snout to tail is the traditional way, which meant including organ meats. In fact, indigenous peoples used to prefer organ meats and considered muscle meat inferior, etc. Liver is very rich in special nutrients like B6 that really nourish the nervous system and brain, as well as noticeably energize us.

I am really boosted when I take my grassfed Liver capsules (4-6 of them just once a day usually - and when I’m less stressed I forget to take them lol). And others around here on the forum like to eat organ meats - there are various recipes if you use the search bar. I’ve not yet gotten to the point of preparing liver myself, due to… stress!

If one is vegetarian you can also take the synthetic form of B vitamin complex - it’s just not as close to nature in its wonders.

Another boost can be gotten by adding 2 tblsp of coconut oil to your day - or 1-2 teaspoons of a high quality MCT oil. The MCTs really help the brain functioning and boost BDNF - brain-derived neurotrophic factor. :nerd_face: Brain & nervous system functionality and adaptability help us tremendously in managing stress.