Strange fasting experience

@PaulL
I usually don’t feel refreshed. When I fasted and felt so hyper- I felt exhausted while hyper and would have loved some sleep. But it has been years since I got an 8 hr night. I think the body actually does need 8 hours, even though we oftentimes get less.

(john d) #22

My first post is an answer to your question I came across on a search I was doing. The reason your system went a little loopy is probably because fasting depletes minerals and electrolytes. You were probably low on potassium and maybe the other ones too. Whenever you do a fast, always take electrolytes and minerals. Salt, potassium, calcium, magnesium and trace if you can.

I haven’t fasted for a while, but I have the same response as @Chantarella on both short (1-2 day) and longer (3-5) fasts. Unfortunately no amount of electrolyte tweaking has helped with sleep, though it definitely helps for how I feel during the day. Sometimes it’s great to sleep less- I get a lot done! - but it feels a bit like I’m running on pure cortisol and it doesn’t seem sustainable. I can do well with time restricted eating for long periods and really wish that I had great sleep while fasting like so many people do…

(Raz Mataz) #24

I’ve had the same type of “issue” and I do think that It should be a lack of minerals/electrolytes problem as John and others mentioned.

Apart from depression, anxiety and loneliness. Or all together :slight_smile:

Lately, I’ve been trying to go for like 17, 18 hrs of daily fasting and I have experienced a couple of those episodes.
For instance, 4 hours of sleep would have kept me awake for like another 24-32 hrs, but then one week later, I was ending up in sleeping long full 8-9 hours and still waking up feeling tired. (I usually sleep 6 hrs, or I do from 2 to 4 hours now, and another 2 to 4 hours later.)

Anyway. I’ve been used with intermittent fasting, I can say my entire life, but ever since I’m trying to respect the hours, like nothing to eat between 20:00 and 14:00, I have noticed considerable changes at how my body responds now to let’s say, pimples, or rashes. I was used when I was having a pimple every now and then, to “stick” with me for a week or 2. Now it’s gone in 3 days maybe, or it’s not even appearing anymore.

Also. my immunity levels, my CD4 count levels doubled up in the past year, and I do feel better than I have ever felt.
OK. I can’t give credit only to fasting as there are certainly other things that contributed to my immunity and well-being as well.

I haven’t tried Keto yet. It’s all new to me, and I’m trying to understand the downsides first and what can I do about it.
I have kidney stones, and I do have a cousin with diabetes who’s also on an edge of having a kidney failure, which makes me question therefore, if this Keto thing is actually good for us or not, and in what measure.