Still shrinking but NO WEIGHT LOSS #confused

(Peggy Saar) #1

Been on keto 2 1/2 months. Down at least 2 pant sizes. Very noticeable. Scale STILL only shows 5 pounds lost. What’s happening?

(Windmill Tilter) #2

Congrats! I try to avoid weight loss as much as possible when I’m losing fat, but I’m rarely successful.
Muscle is much more dense than fat, so it’s possible to gain a 1lb of muscle, and lose a pound of fat, and the clothes fit better, but the weight stays the same. It’s really hard to do though. If you managed that, you should be really proud of your hard work. :+1::+1::+1:

Another way that it can occur is hydration. Your weight can vary up to 10% in a single week due to water retention vs expulsion. You could lose 2lbs of fat, retain 2 extra lbs of water due to inflammation (or some other reason), and your clothes fit better but your weight stays the same. It’s still great news.

In short, you’re doing great. Keep up the good work! :grinning:

The scale doesn’t measure fat loss.

Congratulations- sounds like you’re doing beautifully!

(Peggy Saar) #4

Yay!! Thanks for the encouragement. The water thing makes total sense as some days I feel like I’ve gone backwards. Thanks so much!!! Needed that today :smile:

(Peggy Saar) #5

Lol…it’s just so mind boggling for us newbies. I’m hoping it will come at some point. My hubby says if you have a 24" waist who cares what the scale says. …Got a long ways to go before that happens. :smile:

:+1:

(Windmill Tilter) #7

In a court room, the cliche is “never ask a question you don’t know the answer too”. On keto, my motto is “never step on the scale if you don’t know it’s lower…”! :yum:

I use a tape measure to keep track of progress, and scale to cheer me up every now and then when the tape measure has stopped moving for a while. Otherwise I keep that little beast in the closet where it belongs. They cause a lot of trouble!

Keep up the good work!

(Peggy Saar) #8

Otherwise I keep that little beast in the closet where it belongs. They cause a lot of trouble!

Lol!! Great advise.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

When I first joined the forums, when people got upset about what their scale was telling them we’d advise them to give their scale away—preferably to someone they didn’t like! :grin::bacon:

(Peggy Saar) #10

Bahahaha!! :smile: