Steak is good for you?! Who knew?

Posted here because there aren’t any science links, just to the facilitating school. I’d like to think that maybe some science people are having a lightbulb moment.

(Chris) #2

I mean, we’ve known for millions of years now. It’s only since the 60s and 70s that it’s become demonized. Is this article saying only the sirloin cuts have this property? Very interesting indeed. I try to eat sirloin often as is cheap and tasty, usually well-marbled where I shop too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Crazy—I bet people pay attention to this study, because it offers the possibility of selling a pill, whereas eating fat to satiety doesn’t.

(Carpe salata!) #4

mmm pills steak…

Well done sir :smirk:

Edit: for whatever reason you apparently can’t strike through within quotes

(Carpe salata!) #6

It’s a bug of the software. Maybe it will be in the next update :man_shrugging:

(VLC.MD) #7

The University of Warwick has for the first time identified the cells in the brain - called tanycytes - which detect nutrients in food and help trigger feelings of satiety.

Crucially some foods contain types of amino acids which stimulate the tanycytes more than others.

Pork shoulder, beef sirloin steak, chicken, mackerel, plums, apricots, avocados, lentils and almonds were all found to contain amino acids that activate tanycytes and therefore make people feel fuller quicker. (note: the bold ones dont have any (or very little) amino acids. )

Cool list of foods though. I wish I liked avocados. I am trying.

They don’t mention which, but aren’t ketones amino acids?

(VLC.MD) #9

Not exactly sure. I’ll say no. Ketones are from fat so they probably aren’t proteins.
That being said I learned a few days ago that vinegar is saturated fat.
So sometimes scientific classifications are more confusing than helpful.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

An amino acid has to contain nitrogen, specifically an amino group (-NH2), along with a carboxyl group (-COOH). The presence of nitrogen is what distinguishes proteins from fat and carbohydrate. Ketone bodies, being the intermediate breakdown products of the metabolism of fatty acids, contain no nitrogen, and therefore cannot be amino acids. Ketones are distinguished by the fact that they contain a carbonyl group (-CO) attached to two alkyl groups (-CH3).

Well, I’m not a chemist, but that seems wrong. Acetic acid (C2H4O2), which is what vinegar is, doesn’t contain enough hydrogen atoms to saturate the carbons. It might qualify as a very short chain fatty acid, I don’t know. Is there a chemist in these forums who could enlighten us?

(VLC.MD) #11

(VLC.MD) #12

The two amino acids lysine and arginine seem to be the ones that stimulate the tanyocytes the most.

Wonder if taking these amino acids as supplements would reduce appetite ?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

But why take them as supplements, when you could be satisfying your hunger with real food? I somehow doubt that amino acid pills taste nearly as good as steak or bacon or eggs.

(VLC.MD) #14

When trying to lose weight you want to eat less. Burn your own fat for fuel not the cow’s fat.