Some experiences from elder

(Jane) #61

I love traveling to China! A caucasian woman travelling by herself without speaking Mandarin is such an anomaly I get a LOT of stares! LOL.

But everyone is so helpful and polite. One of my hobbies is knitting and I always take a project along on these long flights to pass the time away. I have had so many Chinese women walk up to me, smile and point to my knitting with a questioning face.

If socks, I point to my feet and show them my project looks like a sock. If a scarf/shawl I motion surrounding my neck and show them my lace project. I gets lots of grins and smiles! I probably remind them of their grandmother LOL.

Boxing is so far out in the boonies I had a small child walk up to me, poke me in the arm to see if I was real. When I smiled at him he ran away scared. Didn’t mean to scare the poor kid!

At least money and numbers are universal so when I had to pay for something they could write down the number and I could count out my Chinese cash. There was actually a Burger King in one town so I went in and the menu was all in Chinese with no numbers. I saw a picture of a chicken sandwich with a pepper next to it - AH! Spicy chicken sandwich! They had other weird seafood items not seen in the US. I ordered the spicy chicken sandwich with a “coke” - they know that American word! Didn’t even try for a diet coke and wasn’t keto then so just glad to have something wet and cold. Most of the time I was offereed a soda at room temperature.

(Rossi Luo) #62

Yes, absolutely, knitting is my mom and grandmother’s hobbies in my memory, nowadays, we can merely see knitting. My mom made a sweater by knitting for my kids years ago!

Traditionally, Chinese believe cold water is not good to health, most Chinese prefer warm water or water at room temperature. Although there’s no evidence for this belief, actually I am a lover of drinks with ice.

(Rossi Luo) #63

I just want to give a feedback for this topic to let everyone knows the result and thanks for everyone’s suggestion, this feedback is an end of this topic.
The result is: I fail and give up to ask my mom to follow ketogenic diet to treat her severe type 2 diabetes. Never knew how stubborn a human being can be!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #64

I’m not sure if anyone can be persuaded to try low carb by a family member.
Doctors easily tell people to do crazy things. Always have!
My partner has watched my very obvious health improvements but refuses to try for herself.
Well not beyond 3 days. I assume everyone here made the decision independently?

(Robin) #65

Smart. Sometimes the harder someone pushes us to do something, even though it’s for my own good, the harder we resist.

Life changing decisions usually come from within.

But your mom knows you love her, for sure.

For a collection of stories of older people on Keto, try this thread: Old fogies on Keto, Carnivore or Low Carb - Keto Chat - Ketogenic Forums

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #67

It’s just occurred to me, I don’t know who got me interested in Low Carb!
Good as you guys are, it wasn’t here that got me started. I came here for reassurance lol

(Doug) #68

So true. Even if something is sound and obviously worthwhile, the given person has to want it. Otherwise, it’s often like ‘pushing on a string.’

It was for me for carnivore :wink:
Keto was just something I have read about online years before and as low-carb worked so well but wasn’t enough, it was logical to go lower, it took YEARS of stalling for me to dare (with lots of carbs and unlimited total, I am bad with restrictions). There was no person or specific thing and no outer force can influence me, probably. If very logical factlike things don’t count but I still rather listen to my body… And have my limits. It’s scary to think that the average people do way less than I with my non-existent self-control…

I doubt there are many people who can be persuaded. As Robin wrote, it must be from within. If the one in question isn’t open, it won’t work.
I am glad I am able to influence my SO a bit :smiley: Just to the point where he feels comfortable but he is the slim one thriving on high-carb (and suffer on low-carb immediately) so why would he break what works? And his Mom with diabetes, well she is the sadly normal one who won’t make huge changes diet wise, health or not. She even eats sugar. Not very often I think and she did make some positive changes due to doctor’s orders but still, she eats way more added sugar than her son who could handle it way more (it’s still bad so I am glad he stopped when I did)…
It’s very hard to influence someone else’s diet to a great extent if they aren’t willing and it’s hard to make most people willing…