Some experiences from elder

This. It says it all in one line.

for the original post…you can’t make someone with excuses change. We could not get that thru my mother in laws head who is now dealing at age 81 with tons of Type 2 issues rotting her body right now. Kidney issues, circulatory, and more. Sad. She was told thru good Drs to eat correctly, good info from me on low carb and eating and we pushed all we could but the excuse in the end was she wanted to eat like she was, take no responsibility for her eating lifestyle and just ‘take the shot’ and live like that. Now she is paying the big consequences.

See 60 ain’t old :slight_smile: I am 61 and have the best health thru my changes when I started 7 yrs ago into my lc and zc journey. Key being, you either wanna do this or not. Age is her excuse of course but key being, they, ‘the oldies’ which I don’t even consider my self ‘an oldie’ truly LOL is that they actually DO have like a possible long time to live a good quality life, if they would just do it but hey, each person will step up and change or accept and do the ‘medical dance’ til the end so…my MIL is in the ill health/medical crap dance now and has been for like 10 yrs…see, I won’t allow that to go down, I got that personality that said ‘fix yourself NOW’ for a better future as I saw my MIL just starting to rot away from the sugar issues. It triggered me to say nope…ain’t doing it, will learn how to improve health older I get, not accept it as some medical nightmare to go down for things I can change. Sometimes it is just our personalities and who we are is what clicks and allows many to heal and into better health and others to just allow ill health to wash over them and drag out a lower quality of life as our health declines more each day. But just do what ya can showing info on why sugar rots the body and more and hope something clicks for the person. Wishing a good lifestyle forward for all!

Actuawlly, if I am older, I just feel I need to do MORE for my health through my lifestyle.
A young one (20 or 40 years old) may be fine due to good genetics but later we need every help and it’s not just because a young body handles more, it’s more decades on a wrong lifestyle and eventually it tends to take its toll. Some awesome genetics make almost wonders but probably even then something should have done right, you can’t expect eating horribly and live a long, healthy life. And even if it’s not THAT bad… I want the best health I can do without too much effort and sacrifice. (Though health is my top priority so I consider pretty much effort and some sacrifice not too much ;)) I do things gradually, slowly, partially… But when I will be old, I will do it better due to all the practice. I went low-carb around 35 years old, that’s good. And my diet was nutritious even before just too carby with too much overprocessed stuff (but still adorable compared to many modern people’s eating). But even low-carb, even keto wasn’t good enough, I thrive for more and want to do my ideal woe eventually or very, very close to it as I am bad with perfection :wink: But my body can handle things. My job is to ensure it doesn’t get burdened too much. Some are inevitable even if I eat as perfectly as possible, we doesn’t live in a wonderful world :frowning: But I can’t help that. I only can choose what to feed to my body that does its best to keep me alive and in good working order. I find it super rude (and antihedonistic and stupid) to abuse our body (or mind) and people tend to do that even when it would have been avoided to a great extent. As I understand circumstances, of course we can’t do everything as right as we could in ideal circumstances. It’s usually fine, we still have control, we just should respect the needs of our body more.

(KM) #23

There’s just a lot to it. Part of my response came from having just watched an excruciating interview with Tom Bilyeu (I don’t care if he’s worth a billion dollars, the man’s mouth needs a roll of duct tape) and Bryan Johnson, who fascinates me.

Johnson is working on longevity experiments with extremely expensive scientific testing. He’s also got some fascinating theories about what humanity needs to do to prepare for the AI universe ahead of us. He said he threw a dinner party and ask the people there, “If I could give you a diet that would double your healthspan, but you had to relinquish control of your dining and simply eat what was put in front of you every day for the rest of your life, allowing you to release that whole arena of your existence and focus on everything else, would you do it?” He was posing a fantasy situation, in which there were no ulterior motives for the providers of the food and the outcome was absolutely guaranteed.

The answer was a resounding “Hell, no.” Most people did eventually come around to his way of thinking, or at least understand it, but that was the first knee-jerk reaction. No way.

(Marianne) #24

I am not much of a reader, either, but I do really enjoy watching youtube videos of Dr. Fung. Maybe your mom might like that? Good luck.

wow very interesting info!

humans are the slowest and most inept species to adapt. simple as that. every other species, no matter what is thrown at it WILL FIND and ACCEPT survival and adaption changes instantly for total life survival, yet us humans??? omgosh if you got a brain that can think, yes we think in the worst fashion instantly. I know I can see it over the entire planet from start of civilization as we know it til present day.

cool post.

(Chuck) #26

I agree, I am retired IT Professional and I would not trust any computer regardless of how smart or powerful to make decisions about my health and well being. They just can’t be trusted.

yea and WHO is behind the input I always think :slight_smile: to my betterment in real truth or to ‘make me lead thru a ring in my nose’ on some one else’s agenda? hmmm…good thoughts.

(KM) #28

It’s not that AI is providing the diet, per se. Johnson is actually doing N=1 on himself with some extreme diet and other protocols, and then doing very complicated testing to see what this does to his rate of aging. His concepts on adapting to AI have more to do with human cooperation among our species, basically letting go of our current way of interacting with our world, getting out of our own way more or less. I’m not necessarily on board with his ideas, but I do find them very interesting.

(Chuck) #29

The problem is he is one individual who thinks he can determine and manipulate everyone else. I might be a little more understanding if it was a large sample of the human race. I have come to distrust people that think they can buy the world because they are rich.

(KM) #30

I tend to agree with you. The biggest flaw I see in Johnson’s argument is that we’re all primed for a suspicious, dog-eat-dog mentality (for good reason). “Getting the human race to cooperate” makes herding cats look like breathing. The other little tickle was that he wouldn’t share his food sources with the interviewer because Blueprint is planning to make some products themselves. Same old same old.

And I will also say that I have no interest in his food protocol, it’s basically extreme vegan, calorie restriction and a ton of supplements. What I Am interested in: He looks like a Buddhist Elf who spends half the day meditating and getting facials, but he’s actually extremely competitive about his personal life extension. And he has the money to fund the N=1 plus the objective testing of his results. Sort of like you and me, except with $2,000,000 in protocol and data to back up his findings, rather than a tape measure and a bathroom scale. This is the closest thing to pure research I’m coming across. If I follow the money it leads directly back to him / Blueprint, but he’s got an ulterior motive - personal longevity. Literal skin in the game. As long as he’s sharing his pure data (which would be part of the plan of human cooperation), it might actually give some clean science. I’m curious what he finds.

(Chuck) #31

The problem I have found from my years serving the politicians in Washington DC is their belief they are better than everyone else. They would say anything to get you to vote for them. I went on campaign tours where they would say totally different things at different stops along the campaign trail. And depending on the media whether it would be brought to light or not.

(KM) #32

Yes. Having that kind of money puts a lot of people on a different planet - first it’s a “survival” battle to get there, then a matter of spin while they live an extremely comfortable life that’s no longer particularly dependent on their electorate’s support. I sometimes imagine it like a game of Risk among friends. You play the crazy-game with a camera on you for a while, then everyone goes off camera together for a little snack of lobster and champagne.

All I’m saying is that Johnson has more to gain than money, if he can crack the code of longevity. His life, and also bragging rights. And probably more money than anyone on earth, of course but … who would turn their nose up at immortality, even if it cost a fortune.

And, sorry to the OP, all I was Really saying is that even with that at stake, apparently a lot of people. A lot of people wouldn’t trade their autonomy for perfect health, like his Mom won’t trade her autonomy and beliefs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Well, let’s take 10,000 people, randomise them into two groups, feed one his diet and the other group a keto diet, and in 80 or 90 years we’ll know which diet is better. This is why nutrition science is difficult to do right (not to mention hellishly expensive). A lot of “longevity” research is done on short-lived nematodes and such, and it is an open question just how much of it transfers to Homo sapiens. And once people figure out how to monetise their research, their openness to new ideas comes to and end.

(KM) #34

All true, and in the end he’s had the same solo socialization as everyone else and I don’t hold him up as a hero or a mentor, but the N=1 is why I’m so interested in his findings, if he’ll actually share them. This is experimentation on an actual human who’s perhaps willing to go beyond what’s considered ethical, like the guys working with CRISPR, and because he’s actually trying to extend his own life, cheating the process or the findings would be pointless. Of course it’s somewhat useless in terms of extrapolation to everyone else on the planet, but probably more relevant than flatworms and fruit flies.

(Rossi Luo) #35

This information is quite helpful, I think an authority in kidney disease might make my mom change her mind!! Thank you!

(Rossi Luo) #36

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have started to take some of your advice to continuing persuading my mom follow keto. E.G. I decided to send my mom some videos from authority (e.g. Dr. Fung) daily, and let her know some basic knowledge first. Hope it will work, I will come back to let everyone know if it works!

(Tony ) #37

Quite old at 60, Lol. I went Low Carb, Keto-Carnivore at 67. Im now 72. Since my lifechange I’m now an active bodybuilder, go to the gym 4 times a week, lift heavyish weights ( flat bench 2 x dumbells x 37.5 kgs (80+ lbs) x 8 reps, after 160 other reps ) build hardwood fences and mix and pour concrete paths and driveways - all because I like it. I also do a fair amount of driving, some weeks 800kms ( 500 miles ) to my favorite tourist destinations ( Im in Qld, Australia ) In my case I have lost weight but in addition I now have an interest in my overall health. I have bloodwork done every 3 months. All is perfect. I also convinced a neighbour now aged 68 to go keto, he lost 45kgs ( 100lbs ). He’s out with mates as I type, after a night of partying at dance-bars etc … Its like getting reborn, well maybe - another chance of life. Unfortunately it seems the hardest guys to convince are the “oldies” with failing health. Amazingly at the gym, a lot of the young guys, early 20s, know well about low carb and keto and are already on seriously carb reduced diets. Its a pity its taking time for the rest of the population.

(KM) #38

I think part of the problem is that the young guys are doing it for their own health (and possibly vanity) while the oldies may already have chronic diseases they are trying to treat, which means they have Big Med Experts whispering “exercise and low-fat diet” in their ears.

(Tony ) #39

The younger guys I have talked to, are for sure looking at themselves, health and vanity / looks - thats why they are at the gym in the first place. Mind you if you watch many youtube bodybuilders in the US especially they are going on and on about eating loads of carbs in rice, pasta, pizza etc for energy. With the youngsters here theres a healthy trend developing. With the oldies, there a big problem. At a local community meeting I was going to, there was a coordinator, female, who was grossly overweight, heavily arthritic and with diabetes. She is 10 years younger than myself. I mentioned to her how low carb - keto would improve things etc … she was interested until I said cut out the bread, rice, pasta and fairy cakes to which she replied “F**k That”. Some people just cant / won’t be helped. Maybe thats a result of a society that encourages older people to move / buy into retirement villages at 55 years and take the medications. Don’t worry, because everybody gets ill by then and thats what Medicare is for.

it is becoming reborn on our health! In our zero carb/carnivore community eating plan we call this ZC ZEN!
when the universe aligns with our better improved health and our bodies are more repaired and we are off the brain fog and we ‘feel life’ as it comes daily to us. In total touch with our daily cosmos is what I call it :slight_smile: When one experiences this it is a wonderful ‘who knew it could be this way’ life experience. Loved your post!