So confused!

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

Welcome to the forums Morgan.

You might want to check out https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/visual-guides to get an idea of the best choices in veggies, fruits, meats, fats, etc.

As mentioned, cut out processed foods. Grains need to go, as do the commercial breads. Check out the recipes section on the forums for recipes and ideas of what to make to eat.

All the best to you in your new way of eating.

(Marianne) #22

What do you do with it - in food. :blush:

(Bob M) #23

You can also use tallow for frying. I’ve been buying suet and making my own tallow. Should be low in PUFA, high in saturated fat.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

I use it in my daily keto coffee and occasionally in my creamy bone broth. It has virtually no flavour so mixes unobtrusively with anything.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

If it’s real, unadulterated olive oil, it’s fine. Or you could use tallow, lard, bacon grease, coconut oil, or avocado oil. What you want is a fat that is predominantly saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, and low in polyunsaturates.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #26

Everywhere but in the foods that are part of the ketogenic way of eating.

Interesting…

Three days, all our usual helpful ideas, and the OP hasn’t responded…

(Polly) #27

But the OP did read something on the forum 16 minutes ago and may simply be lurking and trying to find out as much as they can.

If you read this Morgan, I hope you are starting to settle into your new way of eating. Do join in with some of our chats/threads. If you join in the community it makes it much easier to stick with the keto way of life.

Not that I recommend alcohol but if you must, shots of anything that is pure alcohol and unflavored such as tequila, unflavored rum, vodka. I started drinking martinis. Red wine is good assuming it is relatively dry or neutral and not sweet. I used to do the vodka and soda with squeezes of lime and lemon but with using so many in public places you run the risk of getting an unclean one (had a bad experience at a wedding, I knew most of the bride’s side and no one got sick except me so I suspect a bad lemon or lime). I have also experimented with making carb free versions of drinks using erthrytol and other sweeteners I do not react to. I have a good Kahlua recipe that I found online

Carona has a decent low carb beer

(Bob M) #29

I’ve done the same. I drink 1-2 drinks per week, one drink per day. Sometimes, 2 in one day, such as if the wife and I open a bottle of wine (4 servings per bottle = 2 each).

I like gin “martinis” now (mine are just gin with olives; not sure if that’s still a “martini”).

(Joey) #30

+1 In a nutshell, this is the key to managing one’s grocery shopping. Haven’t set foot in most interior aisles in ages. To optimize volume, focus on circumference.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

I believe the name of the drink comes from the Martini vermouth used in the original recipe.

(Bob M) #32

Maybe it’s just “gin” then? :wink:

When I would order these out, I had a hard time with it. I’m never sure what to say. I don’t think it’s “neat”, as I think that implies room temperature. I have a shaker I put ice in, and then the gin, shake it up, pour the gin out through a cap with holes in it. So, it’s cold.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Gin on the rocks?

(Bob M) #34

Or maybe gin on then off the rocks? (Does “on the rocks” mean the drink still has the ice…or after passing over ice but the drink does not contain ice?)

It won’t matter for a while anyway. I haven’t been in a restaurant for a long time.

I do know most “martinis” here are vodka-based, and not many have vermouth. BK (before keto), I used to get chocolate or espresso martinis, both really just sweet drinks. I will get a chocolate martini for a special event, but I think I’ve had maybe 2 since starting low carb/keto on 1/1/14. Beers? Less than a handful over that time.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #35

I do have to venture into the Chip aisle to get pork rinds…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

And into another aisle to get coffee!

Yes Seltzer, coffee, tea, bottled water, occasionally Bai, spices, salt, Rao’s, almond flour, baking powder and detergent

(Joey) #38

@OldDog Ah, I hear you. Pork rinds. We found an solution to that challenge…

Lowrey’s microwavable pork rinds come in little packets like popcorn. Pop 'em in and about 90 seconds later you’ve got a puffed up bag of sizzling fresh hot pork rinds. Serves two with toppings, dips, guac, salsa, cheese, whatever.

We bought a few boxes online - so the added bonus is I didn’t have to inhale any chip fumes while careening down that atrocious grocery aisle. :wink:

(Bob M) #39

Or – gasp! – the candy isle to get dark chocolate.

(Susan) #40

I got excited when I saw these were available in Canada. Then I read the ingredients and saw monosodium glutamate. It’s back to the chip aisle for me.